Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-09-2005, 07:22 AM

Default Re: $4.5 million

I thought everything I read on the internet was true...

another dream shattered - [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] -

say hi to the Wynn/ former Canterbury floorpeople for me and ask Greg how he got the nickname barbarque [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

RB
Old 06-09-2005, 04:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
By most defintions he has a problem, but it's negated by his skill.

[/ QUOTE ]

His risk of ruin at 20 buyins heads up would be astronomical, no amount of skill can overcome it.

Mack

[/ QUOTE ]

Not one of the high limit players that made it there did it without taking risks that risk averse people would claim are foolish.

[/ QUOTE ]

I understand that many high limit players had to take risks to get the bankroll to play high limit, and there are probably any number of players who have the skill to compete for the highest stakes, but don't have the nerve. Just like only a relatively small percentage of people try mountain climbing and other dangerous sports, no matter how athletic and fit they are.

Frank

[/ QUOTE ]

I'll just add that in terms of competitive success, nerves and skill go hand in hand. This most likely applies to all sports, but at the very least is one I can compound from experience in chess and backgammon. It basically comes down to not only 'knowing' what is right, but having the strength to also 'do' what is right. (and rereading that phrase makes it clear it goes beyond the scope of sports as well).

For example, I may know that I should take that dangerous looking double in backgammon, but if I don't have the guts to take it, because of the very bad impression it gives, I'll have given up equity and be limiting the results I could have. Even in a deterministic game such as chess, there are positions where one must play in a way that is averse to our usual inclination, such as attacking when one prefers quiter positional play, or sitting tight and defending when one prefers more active operations, but if you can't control yourself and act upon what you know, it makes little difference whether you knew what was right or not when you made a bad decision, unless you only plan to teach.

Just to be clear, I'm by no means claiming to have mastered the above, but as any aspiring competitor, I certainly recognize its fundamental importance.

Albert
Old 06-09-2005, 05:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The fact is, no-one knows how much DN has. Figures as small as 4 million, and as high as 10 million rolls have been thrown arround, but the guy keeps no bank records (he keeps his money as chips in a safe deposit box ffs!). I guess its between him and the IRS how much he has made.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes I'm sure all big game players keep meticulous records for the IRS. Duh!