Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-09-2005, 11:07 PM

Default Re: How many of the BIG GAME players are the real deal?

Granted that the higher usually means the tougher the game. So overall there are more tough players in the higher games than you would find in 15-30. But that doesn't mean that they play better than the best 15-30 players. It means they play better than most 15-30 players. And at some level i don't necessarily agree the higher the better. For instance the 30-60 at bellagio in past years used to be one of the toughest limits in holdem. Players considered passing this limit and going right into 60-120 although most would not just because of lack of bankroll. So you see where that sometimes the higher the limit doesn't necessarily mean the better the player. And i'm not talking about all high limit players when i say i wonder if they are that much better. Well i guess i am to a point. Saying if they played limits i could handle the swings i think i could at the very least hold ym own. But i'm more refferring to players i consider unproven as they haven't beat games for long periods consistently and grinded there way up earning the respect of real live players imo. Like the Daniel N's, Gus Hansen's, Phil I, and a few others. My point is the it erks me that players like daniel open there mouth constantly and say how good they are, and are not just referring to tournaments. Where there are players like Lenny Martin that are the real deal live players that would eat daniel for breakfast imo. And he earned his respect playing for years in the live games in the mid to high limit section at bellagio. I would guess i would fair much better than the Daniel N's, Gus Hansen's, and Phil I's than the likes of proven live game winners such as Lenny Martin. And i never once said i was better than them as i do not know because i never played with them. Although i am a proven winner in the limits i play so if they played my limit i think i could say i could hold my own at the very least imo. And could hold my own against Lenny Martin (or any excellent player) as it is hard to outplay someone and have that big of an edge at limit holdem that plays somewhat very good themselves. But i would guess Lenny would earn more if we reguallrly grinded together. But i can't say that for the big name touney players.
Old 05-09-2005, 11:08 PM

I liked that one myself. Thanks! [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 05-09-2005, 11:12 PM

And what makes them the same skill level as me? How do you know they are better? Maybe ther skill level isn't as good as mine? Just because they win a bunch of money int some tournaments doesn't mean they are more skill at live games than me. I don't see why if we all played 15-30 holdem that if they didn't do as well as me i couldn't say i play better than them? Becasue it would come down to skill and not how much money one has. Or there lack or caring of going broke. It would be about pure skill.
Old 05-09-2005, 11:25 PM

1) Thanks for the insult on my english skills but i don't think you pointed out where i ddin't understand the question. There is a big difference to someone playing with Grandma knowing not knowing skillful limit holdem play and me. Much bigger difference than the 200-400 players have on me. It is a silly anology. And who said i was an average 15-30 player? I said i would hold my own. Not an avergae 15-30 player. My point is this. How do you know i am not as skillful as them? Just because he plays for more stakes. Well that may be good enough for you. But not for me. And i think is a poor argument on your part. Unless we all played the same limit together and they beat me then you could say they play better than me. Do you see this?

2)Again i never claimed an average 15-30 player would not get killed in a bigger game. Would i get killed if they came down to my 15-30 game? Would i do better in my game than a game where is over my head. Yes i would do better at my limit because it wouldn't be about money. It would be about skill. And i wouldn't get killed by any means imo. Where is your proof on this?
Old 05-09-2005, 11:32 PM

I was agrreing with you for the most part until your last paragraph which is based on mothing more than specualtion with no proof. Just becasue we are playing to grind out a bet or more an hour at our limits does not show there abilty to be better than me. It just shows there ability to have money and play higher. Which they made on things other than live limit holdem games like i play. Either through tounrmanrts or investments for the most part.
Old 05-10-2005, 12:03 AM

That is my point!
Old 05-10-2005, 01:09 AM

The 30-60 at the Bellagio was never as tough as the games of limit 80/160 and above in California, in LA or San Jose. Never. I'm sure that snakehead will agree.

The high limit players always love it when "the best 15-30 players" come into their games, and with good reason; and this is only at 100-200. There are so many reasons for this that you have no idea. Sorry.
Old 05-10-2005, 01:12 AM

I'm willing to bet on El D, and I have no idea who you are.

Yes, I'm familiar with his ability.
Old 05-10-2005, 01:34 AM

What does this have to do with the WPT and other televised events? Last I heard they don't broadcast the 4k-8k game.Maybe you'll get a better response posting this in the general or high stakes forum. Most likely you'll end up with a wad of flames either way as EVERYTHING you have posted on this entire website has been a complete waste of bandwidth. Smoothcall, now that you've reflected on your poor judgement, the only logical move will be to never post again.
Old 05-10-2005, 02:00 AM

[ QUOTE ]
The reason people seem to have such widely divergent views in response to your post is that the question is not well defined.

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually, I don't think the views are all that divergent. You have one person (Vincecall) on the one side, and everyone else on the other.