Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-21-2005, 03:19 AM

Default Re: Rejecting God

"ONLY MORONS OR LUNATICS THINK THAT EVER HAPPENNED."

"This isn't really worth the effort anymore."

Oh stop being so sensitive. I was talking about bossjj and BluffTHIS. (Still you should realize it is totally wrong to to try to make a point with the use of examples that most people won't stipulate are true)
Old 09-21-2005, 03:34 AM

Mr. Sklansky - where do you get your statistics from?

How do you know exactly what % of high iq'ers (let's say those over 150) believe in a God? Even if you knew this absolutely, what does it prove? Maybe there are thousands of potential high iq'ers living in some african jungle whose intellectual gifts haven't been nurtured sufficiently to realize this potential. maybe they would all be Christians or Muslims, etc. if they looked at the evidence. i dont know what im getting at, i just think your appeals to the high iq crowd do not really help with determining absolute truth. should the most 'educated' scientist in the world really be that much more proficient in determining whether the Christian God exists than a 10 year old kid? I dont know that knowledge of physics truly equates with deep philosophical accuracy in terms of knowledge of reality. fwiw, i think i respect your atheistic thinking far more than many on this forum. i despise the way many of think (not that i actually like the way you think!); inconsistency after inconsistency, just horrible.

anyway, what is your iq, sir!?
Old 09-21-2005, 03:48 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Oh stop being so sensitive.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't really care about being insulted per se(Ok, I care but I try to get past it). But I don't like wasting my time with anyone who does so because I take it to mean they no longer want to engage in discussion.

[ QUOTE ]

(Still you should realize it is totally wrong to to try to make a point with the use of examples that most people won't stipulate are true)

[/ QUOTE ]

Not totally wrong for a couple of reasons. The Bible cite illustrates what I believe will be the case much of the time. It isn't offered as a proof but as a statement concerning the impact of miracles. You don't have to accept the factuality of the miracles to understand the point which can then be debated. Second, I can point to several posts, including some of yours, that make the same point - i.e., if a miracle occurred we would just have to wait until science found the explanation.

I'm not trying to downplay the importance of miracles, just pointing out that not everyone responds to them in the same way. The Bible says we have enough evidence without miracles to be held accountable. The miracles add to the seriousness of unbelief and strengthen the faith of believers.
Old 09-21-2005, 06:45 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't really care about being insulted per se(Ok, I care but I try to get past it). But I don't like wasting my time with anyone who does so because I take it to mean they no longer want to engage in discussion.

[/ QUOTE ]

I always try to remain civil, are we continuing our bit of the thread? I also wanted to go into why you think my worldview is irrational but want to finish this first.

chez
Old 09-21-2005, 08:53 AM

[ QUOTE ]
"He supplies ample evidence of His existence and nature."

If by "His" you mean the Christian God, the fact remains that far more than half of those who have studied the subject almost as much as you, and can beat you on any generally accepted intelligence test, do not agree with your above statement...

[/ QUOTE ]

Show your work.
Old 09-21-2005, 10:26 AM

[ QUOTE ]

I always try to remain civil, are we continuing our bit of the thread? I also wanted to go into why you think my worldview is irrational but want to finish this first.

[/ QUOTE ]

I didn't respond because I had nothing to add after your last post.

If you deny an Absolute Personality as ultimate the only remaining choice is chance which makes irrationality the ultimate principle. Some claim that impersonal laws are ultimate but the concept is not really different from chance as there can be no purpose or reason in the impersonal.
Old 09-21-2005, 06:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I didn't respond because I had nothing to add after your last post.

[/ QUOTE ]

I've started a new thread because this one is getting unwieldy. I'm still not sure whether (and why) you think the argument is flawed or not so please chip in.

chez