Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-06-2005, 01:10 PM

Default Re: Sox Bullpen Questions

Can't say I'm thrilled about Schilling going to the bullpen. Oh well... hopefully it won't last.
Old 07-06-2005, 01:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Can't say I'm thrilled about Schilling going to the bullpen. Oh well... hopefully it won't last.

[/ QUOTE ]

im sure there is a reason, other than the fact that the bullpen is a mess. it has to related to schillings rehab, if not its a misuse of rescources and this regime is very good about not doing things like that.

whatever it is, its only good for the team. look at the disaster to the south(east?) and the 'problems' the sox have [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 07-06-2005, 01:41 PM

one this this obviously accomplishes is giving the sox a lot more flexibility in the trade market.

oh well, in Theo i trust.
Old 07-06-2005, 01:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
removing foot from mouth......

schilling to begin pitching out of bullpen in pawtucket and when activated will be pitching out of sox pen. (per francona on weei)

speculation will be high as to why this is happening but i am thinking theo is a 2+2er and likes what toro had to say [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

I floated this idea to a buddy at coffee about 2 weeks ago. He said I should pass it along to our Parks Director, Mike Brescianni who is cousin to the Red Sox PR man Dick Brescianni. I told Mike to tell Dick to tell Theo.

So I take full credit or blame for how this works out. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 07-06-2005, 01:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

im sure there is a reason, other than the fact that the bullpen is a mess. it has to related to schillings rehab, if not its a misuse of rescources and this regime is very good about not doing things like that.

whatever it is, its only good for the team. look at the disaster to the south(east?) and the 'problems' the sox have [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Sure... the Sox are probably doing what is best for the team. The front office is too smart to make Schilling a reliever just because the bullpen is struggling. But that means they see something wrong with Schilling that prevents him from being a top tier starter. And for that reason, this is bad news to me.
Old 07-06-2005, 01:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
removing foot from mouth......

schilling to begin pitching out of bullpen in pawtucket and when activated will be pitching out of sox pen. (per francona on weei)

speculation will be high as to why this is happening but i am thinking theo is a 2+2er and likes what toro had to say [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

I floated this idea to a buddy at coffee about 2 weeks ago. He said I should pass it along to our Parks Director, Mike Brescianni who is cousin to the Red Sox PR man Dick Brescianni. I told Mike to tell Dick to tell Theo.

So I take full credit or blame for how this works out. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

well now that it has been made public and i have to deal with it (for whatever length of time it is) i am looking at the benefits of the move and i must say, with the deadline approaching it gives the sox a lot of flexibility.....

toro, i will never doubt you again. unless you suggest tom brady play linebacker.
Old 07-06-2005, 01:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm sure there is a reason, other than the fact that the bullpen is a mess. it has to related to schillings rehab, if not its a misuse of resources and this regime is very good about not doing things like that.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sure... the Sox are probably doing what is best for the team. The front office is too smart to make Schilling a reliever just because the bullpen is struggling. But that means they see something wrong with Schilling that prevents him from being a top tier starter. And for that reason, this is bad news to me.

[/ QUOTE ]

ehhh, i wouldn't be concerned about that unless it lasts longer than this year. if he turns out to be as effective as smoltz was during his tenure, its a bad allocation of 13m but better than nothing.
Old 07-06-2005, 02:57 PM

if schilling cannot come back as a starter but instead goes to the pen I will be extremely happy. your starting rotation is not great, and the pen is straight up bad. all the while sox supporters have been saying "well when schilling gets back and is the ace look how good it will be", but that is too optimistic. i doubt schilling will be as effective as he once was. at least dount count on it.
Old 07-06-2005, 03:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
if schilling cannot come back as a starter but instead goes to the pen I will be extremely happy. your starting rotation is not great, and the pen is straight up bad. all the while sox supporters have been saying "well when schilling gets back and is the ace look how good it will be", but that is too optimistic. i doubt schilling will be as effective as he once was. at least dount count on it.

[/ QUOTE ]

if schilling didnt throw one pitch the rest of the year, the sox would be favorites to win the division.
Old 07-06-2005, 03:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Epstein said the team concluded that Schilling was "a long way" from being the ace who went 21-6 with a 3.26 ERA in the regular season before using an unprecedented medical technique to help pitch the Red Sox to their first World Series title since 1918.

"We don't need a five-inning starter right now. We need Curt Schilling to be himself," Epstein said. "We all feel he's not ready to be a dominant starter right now."

[/ QUOTE ]

Theo Epstein from this article boston.com

so it boils down to this. he doesnt have the ability to be top notch over a full game right now. cool, instead of building himself back up at AAA he does it from the pen.