Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > News, Views, and Gossip
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-05-2004, 11:14 PM

Default \"Spin that wheel, cut that pack, & roll those loaded dice...\"

Ah, how far to go here? Well, I'm older now, and I'm as 'zen' on this subject as any other. Sooo...

Powerage is the best rock 'n roll of album of all time. Not the most important or most influential; not with the widest variety nor highest reach; not the most seductive or inspiring; but the best.

Whatever Elvis, Chuck Berry, Buddy Holly, Little Richard & Jerry Lee Lewis were aiming at all those years ago, Powerage hit dead center. Imagine if it had been released AFTER Back In Black(sadly not possible, of course), or if the lads had been more, er, comely.

God, Angus' unequaled slow solo on Gone Shootin', not to mention that he doesn't even PLAY solos on two of the tracks(who was the last lead guitarist to hold back like that), or that... OK, that's enough.

Very strong runnerups include Mazzy Star's "So Tonight That I Might See", & Jane's Addiction's "Nothing's Shocking". And forget the radio overkill, Led Zeppelin IV is a fantastic album, although a 'compacted' Physical Graffiti would be better. And we'll throw in Exile On Main Street, just for Andy B. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Best rap album? Biggie's "Ready To Die", natch. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Best concert? Well, I really enjoyed the Psychedelic Furs a couple of months ago. Can't really remember too many of the shows I've seen [img]/images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img], although Iron Maiden on the NOFTB tour and Ozzy w/Randy Rhoads, both in '82, were particularly great.

Flames strongly encouraged.
Old 07-06-2004, 12:22 AM

Default Re: \"Spin that wheel, cut that pack, & roll those loaded dice...\"

the Psych Furs were....and still are...my all-time favorite band. although their later stuff was so-so compared with their first couple of albums.

have seen them in concert 4 or 5 times....but not since 1996 or so.
their concerts are pretty good...but fall a bit short of spectacular.

mazzy star doesn't necessarily qualify as 'rock' imo....but is a solid selection nonetheless.
Old 07-06-2004, 03:58 AM

Default Re: The best rock album of all time is . . .

[ QUOTE ]
Two other notables from that period where King Crimson "In the Court of the Crimson King" and Traffic's "John Barleycorn Must Die". ~ Rick

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, yes yes yes yes yes yes

love those albums
Old 07-06-2004, 06:50 AM

Default an out of touch with reality 20 year old\'s vote

S.C.I.E.N.C.E. by Incubus
Old 07-06-2004, 09:47 AM

Surfer Rosa and OK Computer
Old 07-06-2004, 10:24 AM

Master of Reality

or

The Wall
Old 07-06-2004, 12:31 PM

1. Exile. easy one. then Let it Bleed, then Beggar's Banquet. these two are close, of course. both have too much of the stylistic hodge podge factor to be a first--and Exile is Exile, anyway. Aftermath shouldn't be left out of the discussion, but then you have to debate about US versus UK versions.

2. White Light/White Heat. Loaded comes in at best 4th for VU albums, depending on what you count. +Nico is a fine choice, except for the Nico songs. But then WL/WH has track 2, the package, or whatever. (I program that one out when I put the disc on repeat.) Maybe the third one is actually the correct choice. of all the great moments in the VU catalogue, my favorite is still probably the one-two of here she comes and heard her call my name.

3. Raw Power. but then, speaking of great pairs of songs, the last two on Lust for Life stand right up there with the above mentioned on WL/WH.

unmentioned ass-kicking guitarist: Sonny Sharrock. and what about John McLaughlin?

best Beethoven: op. 95 quartet, Serioso.
Old 07-06-2004, 01:24 PM

pink flloyd-the wall or dark side of the moon
Old 07-06-2004, 01:56 PM

Appetite for Destruction
Nevermind
Rumours (not a fav of mine, but WOW there are a lot of hits)
Led Zeppelin IV
Thriller (not really rock, and see Rumours comment)
Who's Next
The Wall
Old 07-06-2004, 02:04 PM

+Nico is a fine choice, except for the Nico songs.

Excellent, observation. It's especially sad seeing as she absolutely butchered I'll Be Your Mirror, my favorite song that Lou Reed ever wrote. I never cared for the versions where Reed sang that appeared on the 1969 and Max's Kansas City live albums.