Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-26-2004, 11:19 PM

Default Re: Microlimits Progress Quest: Post plans/updates/setbacks here.

Awseome.

You doing 4 tables?
Old 05-27-2004, 01:23 AM

Hey Dids,
It was fun playing w/you (except for when you flopped the nut str8 against my pkt J's [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] ). Congrats on getting close to moving up.

-Jaran
Old 05-27-2004, 02:23 AM

Nope- just two...
Old 05-27-2004, 02:25 AM

Heh... JTs in the BB, had to defend.
Old 05-27-2004, 03:26 AM

I am also working on moving up to the higher levels on Party Poker.

Current Stats:

Level: .50/1.00
Hands: 19,149
Winrate: 4.83 BB/100 hands
Tables: at least 3 sometimes 4 at once
Current streak: last 3068 hands: -2.3 BB's

Level: $1/2 (full tables)
Hands: 2117
Winrate: 0.37 BB/100 hands
Tables: 3
Comment: I tried this level out briefly(5/10/04-5/12/04) and decided to continue at the .50/1.00 for a bit longer to build up my bankroll further. I plan to play a solid 10,000 hands at this level to get a better idea of what my winrate will be.

Level: $1/2 (6 Max)
Hands: 91
Winrate: -1.51 BB/100 hands
Tables: 1
Comment: I very briefly played at the 6 max for 1 hour, obviously this isn't long enough to draw any conclusions yet... I am still more comfortable playing at the full tables, however I may give the 6 max tables a real shot and play 10,000 hands to get an idea of how well I do at them compared to the full tables.

Starting bankroll: $500.00 (to take full advantage of the 20% deposit bonus)
Bonuses: + $100.00
Winnings: + $1,019.45
Cashouts: - $300.00
Current Bankroll: $1,221.75

Until my current poor streak I felt like the Bobby Baldwin of .50/1.00. Although looking at it on paper I see that it is only -$2.30, the fact that it occured over 3068 hands has made it feel like a -200 BB losing streak. Alot of it has been due to the cards, for example sets losing to oversets/flushes/straights and also having a couple flushes losing to overflushes. Some of it has been due to poor play/decision making and a few oversights caused by multi-tabling (capping it on the river with the nut straight while a flush was possible, the first time I have *EVER* done this, very embarrassing). Though I have the bankroll to move up I have decided not to until this current cold streak ends and I regain some of my lost confidence. Since this thread is now obnoxiously long I will probably go ahead and create a new one for my next update. I actually thought about creating a "David Ross" type of weekly poker journal which would keep track of my move from .50/1.00 to the higher levels but I do not think it would be as interesting. It would probably only contain statistics and a few highlight hand histories and not much else.
Old 05-27-2004, 07:39 AM

Congrats!

I hit 300BBs for 5/10 a few days ago btw.
Old 05-27-2004, 08:30 AM

Wow, this is a great post, I'd just like to thank the contributors, it was a great read and a good incite.

I'll be joining you all in June, I'll have the BR to jump right into the 1/2, but i'm going to take the Mr B approach and have at least 10k of hands at each level and 300BBs won before moving up. I've just spent a month of SnGs only and although fun and profitable. I've missed limit and a BR project seems fun.

Good Odds all [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 05-27-2004, 11:34 AM

This is an awesome thread and I'll add my own feeble progress.

Started about seven weeks ago, not playing heavily (only 5000 hands played in that time) almost all .50/1. Most of that was at Party, though I did well also at Paradise. Ultimate Bet and Pacific Poker were disasters though. I left Ultimate before finishing the bonus and I left Pacific the minute I could, but was down, losing $75 of the $100 bonus.

I started originally at Empire with a paltry $45 deposit, missing any bonuses, as I didn't want the missus to know I was doing this, but got some early lucky streaks (I played like a rock early on) and decided to stick with it.

During the seven weeks, I've read Lee Jones' book and made a cheat sheet with it. I had already read ToP once, but have read it again, and have made a minor dent into THfAP (long weekend ahead will let me get through it). My game had gone from solid rock to wayyyyy too loose to a level I'm comfortable with, especially now that I know the concepts of playing for position.

That said, I logged off last night pretty early (just wanted to get 150 hands in to play in tonight's freeroll), but my stake is currently at $710. My biggest setback right now is that I am hooked on a computer game, City of Heroes that has eaten away at a lot of my time, and I am confident that my stake would be much higher than that by now if this game hadn't come out the same time I started getting into poker.

My final goal is to get a stake of $1200 so that I can play at the $2/$4 with some regularity and then just peel any excess off once a month for play/vacation money.
Old 05-27-2004, 01:43 PM

I just thought I'd throw my story out there as a warning to those players who don't have either (a) a solid poker "plan" or (b) the will power to stay away from other games until the bankroll can support them.

Personally, I don't have the willpower and I have a weakness for the NL SNG's, so I eventually opted for the solid poker plan track.

Anyway, here's my progress so far...

Starting this year I was sitting at ~$230 playing .5/1. Got bored half way through January and decided to play some SNGs. I've had success with them in the past, but not this time. I played and played and played until I was down to a whopping $10. It was only at this time that I decided to go back to the .5/1 games. I gradually built up the roll, without having to rebuy, to about $510. It was at that time (~a month ago) that I decided to dabble in the 1/2 games. Got freaking hammered and was down to $350 within a week. I have no doubt that I can beat these games... I was just very cold decked at the time. So, I dropped back down and have built my roll back up to the current level of $580. Tonight, I'm going to start my new life as a 1/2 player. The games are tougher than .5/1, but I know there are a ton of lessons to learn there (blind steals, short handed pots, perhaps more semi-bluff opportunities).

So, long story short, I survived my idiocy, but learned a huge lesson about the value of being properly bankrolled. I have since made a plan (similar to Dids and bisonbisons) and will stick to it.
Old 05-28-2004, 01:50 AM

From my blog.

"Just made myself a goal. Once I reach 5/10, I'm going to stop moving up, and set up some structure to cash out my winnings. (Like cashing out everytime I'm up 100 bucks or something). Seems like a reasonable goal that will take some time to reach, yet is also reachable."

Assuming 2BB/HR, that's about once a week depending on how often I play. Anybody else work with something like this?