Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-04-2005, 05:44 PM

Default Re: Official Micro-Limit October Goals

[ QUOTE ]
1. 10k hands, at whatever level my BR can handle at the time, and move to 6-max at the 750BB mark.

2. Avoid books other than SSH and WLLH until I'm at a sufficiently high level to need advanced texts - simplicity of information is better for me, I have found. (This is a goal because HPFAP and HOH frequently dance in my head.)

3. Get back into playing more SNGs, to avoid NL rust.

4. Finish my book proposal.

As for the 3-way idea, it's hard enough to get 3-way action going when your GF brings it up to you, much less springing it on two unaware chicks. (No, my GF didn't have a specific partner in mind, that was the problem.)

[/ QUOTE ]

When you're done with SSH and WLLH, could you please tell me what you think of WLLH?

--Dave.
Old 10-04-2005, 05:54 PM

PM me your address and I'll send you my copy. I bought it after SSHE and only read about 2 or 3 chapters. It was seriously confusing me trying to reconcile the two and I don't plan on ever picking it up agin.
Old 10-04-2005, 06:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
When you're done with SSH and WLLH, could you please tell me what you think of WLLH?

[/ QUOTE ]
I've actually read them both twice now. got WLLH after I got SSH, because as a complete n00b I found SSH a bit cerebral.

WLLH is, in general, for the people who have just sat down at their first Party Poker .5/1 table and wonder to themselves, "why does everyone draw out on me and not respect my raises?" It recommends a fairly tight, not terribly aggressive game (for example, limping from EP with a wide range of hands is recommended).

It's laid out well for beginners: "When You Flop a Pair," "When You Flop Trips," etc., and the "Odds, Pot Odds and Implied Odds" chapter is exactly three pages long, with no equations, so as not to confuse anyone. And the 3rd edition should have a co-writing credit for Barry Tanenbaum, his input is referenced so frequently.

In the newest edition there's a chapter on Internet poker and a huge section on NL sit-n-go strategy. Basically it advocates extremely tight play and avoiding all-in situations unless necessary (or if you're holding a monster). IME it's good strategy for cashing (but not necessarily winning) a lot in $5-10 SNGs.

To sum up, if you understand SSH pretty well, WLLH is not really necessary - SSH will give you a much higher win rate with its more aggressive strategies. Playing the WLLH way should keep your variance lower, though. I've just about completely grown out of it - the NL SNG chapters are about all I refer to these days.
Old 10-04-2005, 06:42 PM

October goals:

get rakeback at a party site
play another 5k of 1/2 sixmax
move up to 2/4 full
keep learning stud
Old 10-05-2005, 09:35 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
I've actually read them both twice now. got WLLH after I got SSH, because as a complete n00b I found SSH a bit cerebral.

WLLH is, in general, for the people who have just sat down at their first Party Poker .5/1 table and wonder to themselves, "why does everyone draw out on me and not respect my raises?" It recommends a fairly tight, not terribly aggressive game (for example, limping from EP with a wide range of hands is recommended).

It's laid out well for beginners: "When You Flop a Pair," "When You Flop Trips," etc., and the "Odds, Pot Odds and Implied Odds" chapter is exactly three pages long, with no equations, so as not to confuse anyone. And the 3rd edition should have a co-writing credit for Barry Tanenbaum, his input is referenced so frequently.

In the newest edition there's a chapter on Internet poker and a huge section on NL sit-n-go strategy. Basically it advocates extremely tight play and avoiding all-in situations unless necessary (or if you're holding a monster). IME it's good strategy for cashing (but not necessarily winning) a lot in $5-10 SNGs.

To sum up, if you understand SSH pretty well, WLLH is not really necessary - SSH will give you a much higher win rate with its more aggressive strategies. Playing the WLLH way should keep your variance lower, though. I've just about completely grown out of it - the NL SNG chapters are about all I refer to these days.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks a lot. This is perfect.
Old 10-05-2005, 09:48 AM

October Goals:
--------------

Starting today, play 160 hours of holdem, hopefully at the top of my game mentally, and at max capacity in terms of tables (though guarding my sanity is important too).

For my bb/100 I choose infinite, but variance is a bitch, so I don't know if I'll hit my target.

I'd like to learn short-handed during this time, and generally improve my game to the point where I can move up to the next limit. I figure I can put in a solid few hours of short-handed play and general study on mondays and tuesdays, and still leave with with enough free time that I don't go insane before the end of the month. This is probably the most important part of my month's plan.

That's about it. I'm glad to get this in writing. It'll be interesting to see if I can make it. Last month was pretty good to me: here's to hoping this one will be better!

Life goals... I don't think I have any that can be accomplished this month. Getting my passport and getting some more experience driving would be great. Travelling and driving is something that I'd like to start doing by January. Hopefully Costa Rica. Baby-steps...

Edit: Reading. I'd like to read and discuss SSHE in as great a detail as possible with anyone willing to hash it out. I'm probalby going to check the "book club" section of the archives and forums as soon as I finish each chapter (for like the third time).

Re-Edit: Finish Chronicles of Narnia. God damn that guy's an amazing story-teller!

--Dave.
Old 10-05-2005, 09:58 AM

[ QUOTE ]
4. Pwn the MLL.

[/ QUOTE ]

[img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] I'm not going to be getting involved in that. [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

[ QUOTE ]

5. Figure out what to do with the two friends who both want to do me, with whom I'm only about 10% to get away with doing both, and whose friendship I'd rather not be responsible for breaking.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wookie, pics-depending, I'd be happy to arrive wherever you live, and take the edge off one of them for you. This will reduce their stress in the time of transition while they get used to you banging the other one. What can I say, I'm a humanitarian. [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]
Old 10-05-2005, 10:05 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
change my [censored] avatar

[/ QUOTE ]

Awesome.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 10-05-2005, 10:08 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Is this a poker book? If so, what's it called, and what does it cover?

[/ QUOTE ]

Weighing the odds in holdem.

I haven't read it, but I've heard it's awesome, discusses free card plays mathematically (which I've tried a few times to get discussion on here and failed), and short-handed play. Sounds good.

[ QUOTE ]
I'm only about 10% to get away with doing both

[/ QUOTE ]

2*0.1 = 0.2

Still +EV, but I'm sure Wookie's already figured out which play is the most +EV.
Old 10-05-2005, 10:12 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Non poker
Drive my car more,
Sleep with this girl i fancy,
Otherwise, whack it hard daily.

[/ QUOTE ]

fyp