Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-09-2005, 06:43 PM

Default Re: people that are vegetarian

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
No - bacon tastes good, pork chops taste good. [b]Sewer rat may taste like pumpkin pie, but I'd never know cause I wouldn't touch the filthy m0therf0cker [b]

[/ QUOTE ]

Etc

[/ QUOTE ]

FYP
Old 09-09-2005, 06:58 PM

Vegetables are not food. Vegetables are what food eats.

Fruits are vegetables that try to fool you by tasting good.

Mushrooms are something that grows on vegetables after foods done with them.
Old 09-09-2005, 07:13 PM

Default Re: I Became A Vegetarian For Ethical/Moral Reason

[ QUOTE ]

No. Please re-read my post as tried to describe the evolution of my beliefs. I believe that animals have a general right not to be hunted for food and be eaten for food. For purposes of that post I decided not to get all bogged down in rights theory. Howeverm in arriving at my beliefs I initially decidd that regardless of the ultimate question of animal rights I could not condone the intensive factory farming that occurs here and abroad.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ok, your factory farming argument makes sense, but I’m still not following your reasoning on not killing at all. Are you saying that animals have an intrinsic right to life; therefore, it’s absolutely wrong to kill them?

If my understanding is correct, I’m curious how you defend this position. It’s not amoral for a lion to hunt and kill prey. Is it wrong for a person to swat a fly? What about killing a rodent with a mouse trap? I just don’t see where you can draw a line.

Just curious… are you Buddhist? That would make sense, though nothing in your posts alludes to that.
Old 09-09-2005, 07:24 PM

I always thought a plain vegetarian ate poultry and seafood, dairy and eggs, whereas there were people who limited themselves further by not eating the dairy (lacto-vegetarian), not eating dairy nor eggs (lacto-ovo), not eating anything that comes from an animal (vegan), etc.

Who knows, I never got into the culture, I just didn't like the taste of meat.

Felicia [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 09-09-2005, 07:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
This is the short answer?

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow. Is that supposed to be clever?
Old 09-09-2005, 07:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
This is the short answer?

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow. Is that supposed to be clever?

[/ QUOTE ]

Reread his post. Actually, it was clever.

I'm a superdork.

Please forgive me.
Old 09-09-2005, 08:25 PM

screw em, order the steak, and tell the waiter 'ship it'
Old 09-09-2005, 09:16 PM

I've been one and not been one, and been what I am now, which I consider a "sort-of" vegetarianism. I eat chicken and fish, but pretty moderately, and eat red meat pretty rarely. All in all, I can go for months without eating meat without even thinking about it, then eat some without going through moral convulsions.

The reasons? Health in the abstract sense -- because my genetic history has a hell of a lot of heart disease, including multiple cardiac bypasses in it -- and health in the sense where you can really feel it. I feel much more energetic and less weighed down when I stay away from heavy foods, especially red meat. That winds up making my mood pick up, resulting in a happier, more positive dude.

My stomach feels less bloated and I crap more. I just feel lighter and happier.

The reasons not to? I seem to do poorly on a diet high in starches and red meats. They make me fat, irregular, and low energy to the point of being sleepy a lot.. And I do very well on a mostly vegetarian diet spiked with fish and chicken. A little meat protein actually perks me up, too, and has some staying power so I'm feeling less hungry less often. But without making me feel like I'm walking around carrying a brick in my gut or wedged up my ass all the time.

I do it for me, to the extent and when I do it. But the more I've read about how damaging things like cattle raising is to the environment, and the more cruelty has dropped away from me as I've become a little older and wiser, the better I've felt about keeping my meat consumption very low. I don't have a problem or look down up people that feel differently, because I don't need to tell people how to live or yell at them for choices they either feel okay about or are not in a place to be able to comfortably change anyway. In short, I like the moral and environmental aspects of either full or what I'd call "partial" vegetarianism. They've become more of an interesting part of it, but they didn't get me into vegetarianism and aren't what makes me continue.