Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-24-2005, 12:55 PM

Default Re: Gas Prices

[img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 08-24-2005, 02:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
That's a lot different than your statement that we're now in a period where there is less oil supplied every year.

[/ QUOTE ]
Ok, somewhat carelessly worded by me.

[ QUOTE ]

Look, until oil prices rise, and I mean more than they have already, there's not much of an incentive for anyone to develop anything new.

[/ QUOTE ]
I know. And that's one of the reasons I'm worried.

[ QUOTE ]
This is just plain defeatist and wrong.

[/ QUOTE ]
It's not wrong. There is a distinct probability that it is absolutly correct. That probablility is no 100% but it's not 0% either.

[ QUOTE ]
You seriously think there's no way we can develop alternatives to supply an equivilent to the amount of energy that we're getting from oil now

[/ QUOTE ]
It's not mainly an energy problem. It as energy carrier problem.

[ QUOTE ]
Oil isn't going to disappear overnight. The alternatives will come on line as the market demands.

[/ QUOTE ]
If we are unlucky we'll lose about 5-10% a year, throwing as into an depression that will make the one in the 20:s look like a teaparty.

Somehow I don't think you understand the scope of the problem. Read the essay by Smalley I'll post in short order. If you are seriously interested, which you should be, read up on it all, but I won't spoonfeed it to you. Saying that the market will somehow magically solve this is misleading and to my mind, flat out wrong. Just because you want something bad enough does not make it happen.
Old 08-24-2005, 02:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Look, until oil prices rise, and I mean more than they have already, there's not much of an incentive for anyone to develop anything new.

[/ QUOTE ]
I know. And that's one of the reasons I'm worried.

[/ QUOTE ]

What's to worry about?

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
This is just plain defeatist and wrong.

[/ QUOTE ]
It's not wrong. There is a distinct probability that it is absolutly correct. That probablility is no 100% but it's not 0% either.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's a lot closer to 0 than to 100. A lot. There are plently of catastrophic events with a non-zero probability, many of them more catastropic and more probable than this one. Go worry about those.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
You seriously think there's no way we can develop alternatives to supply an equivilent to the amount of energy that we're getting from oil now

[/ QUOTE ]
It's not mainly an energy problem. It as energy carrier problem.

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
Oil isn't going to disappear overnight. The alternatives will come on line as the market demands.

[/ QUOTE ]
If we are unlucky we'll lose about 5-10% a year, throwing as into an depression that will make the one in the 20:s look like a teaparty.

Somehow I don't think you understand the scope of the problem. Read the essay by Smalley I'll post in short order. If you are seriously interested, which you should be, read up on it all, but I won't spoonfeed it to you. Saying that the market will somehow magically solve this is misleading and to my mind, flat out wrong. Just because you want something bad enough does not make it happen.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ditto. You are the one who seems to be wishing for some catastrophe. Just running around screaming that the sky is falling doesn't make it so. Oil is finite, but it's not the only energy source. Lots of things that aren't viable with today's technology at today's oil prices *will* be viable with improved technology and/or increased oil prices. Stop losing sleep over it.
Old 08-24-2005, 02:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
What's to worry about?

[/ QUOTE ]
Lots of things.

[ QUOTE ]
It's a lot closer to 0 than to 100. A lot

[/ QUOTE ]
Really, and your basis for this statment is? Please enlighten me.
[ QUOTE ]
Ditto.

[/ QUOTE ]
Care to give me some insight into what you know about the energy problems we face?
[ QUOTE ]

You are the one who seems to be wishing for some catastrophe.

[/ QUOTE ]
Nope I'm not. Pointing out a problem is not the same as wishing for it, seriusly, you don't understand that?

[ QUOTE ]
Oil is finite, but it's not the only energy source. Lots of things that aren't viable with today's technology at today's oil prices *will* be viable with improved technology and/or increased oil prices.

[/ QUOTE ]
And what things do you specifically propose is viable at other prices? And what other price are you talking about? You're not just spouting off wishes and baseless asumptions now, are you?