Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-29-2005, 11:48 AM

Default Re: Politically Incorrect WSOP Post

I find this interesting in another aspect, which is kind of intimated, but not really spoken.

*Generalism alert* .. Christians for the most part believe that God will interfere on their behalf on this planet. God has a plan for them... God's desires, etc. They look at coincidental, random events and attribute God's hand to them. Things happen because God wills them to, not because they'd happen otherwise. God willing, etc.

So does that mean when a Christian makes a hand, or knocks someone out with a bad beat, that God willed it?

Do Christian players exhibit more favorable variance than non-Christian players (but still blow it, as Sklansky points out how few make it to the end)? Or do they suffer from more bad variance, since 'gambling' is a sin? I think Job had some pretty crappy variance.

Does the lack of Christian players in the final numbers (taking that 'fact' as an assumption, I haven't researched it to see if it is in fact a fact) prove that there is no God favoritism, skewing the numbers for his favored followers?

Or perhaps if a particular religion has more winners, that it would, in fact, be the preferred, and possibly 'correct' religion?

Lastly, if some top poker players are finding religion, are we going to hear the 'First I'd like to thank my lord and savior Jesus Christ' speeches after winning tournaments? Or people crossing themselves, kissing their medallions and pointing to the sky after a good hand?

KO

PS: I know the answer to my questions is 'No' ... but I found it interesting to consider. Or at least 'I hope not' in the case of the last paragraph.
Old 07-30-2005, 01:33 AM

Default Re: Politically Incorrect WSOP Post

I think exactly the opposite. It is surprising to me that the field is not filled with more atheists/agnostics.

Poker is the purest profession for the atheist.

Let’s assume it is true that there is no god. From this assumption, I take it then, that there is no “real” meaning for our existence. No higher purpose for our lives. We simply exist and then we die.

What better manner to earn a living (and spend time playing tournaments) then by poker?

Poker neither adds nor detracts from the social order. I understand the economic ramifications of people who make a profit and adding to the economy (especially, now that it is such a big industry) and those who lose their life savings and all that entails. I am speaking in the sense of most (all other?) industries/businesses. Computer industry, chemical, medical, transportation, fashion, auto, farming, etc. are all businesses that effect our lives, the ecology, the economy - for better or worse - in some way or another.

But, poker truly has no redeeming, nor detracting social value. For the people who understand that human existence has no real purpose, poker is the purest manner, I can think of, to make a living.

A poker professional relies only on himself (well of course one needs other players, a dealer, etc.). There is no need to have any social graces to interact with fellow workers. Indeed, exactly the opposite might actually help. The poker player doesn’t have to worry if his profession fits into his religious beliefs, if he is making any errors in judgment that would go against his fundamental beliefs. Politicians who are believers, don’t have this luxury. I deeply religious corporate executive does not either. Doctors, etc.

Poker consumes practically non of our earth’s natural resources. So, for the atheist who feels an obligation to future human life, there is no conflict there.

For people of faith and/or people who have decided to spend their time pursuing other things in life, it comes as no surprise to me that, the WSOP final tables are not filled predominately with their likes. I suspect “more than half the starting field” is filled with those who came for the entertainment.