Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-31-2005, 05:42 PM

Default Re: wtf...is this legal?

Lee,

You need one day of contract law to realize that this guy had no right whatsoever to ten bucks. And it's not even close.
Old 05-31-2005, 06:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You need one day of contract law to realize that this guy had no right whatsoever to ten bucks. And it's not even close.

[/ QUOTE ]
Why would a poker site apply "contract law", and in particular U.S. contract law, to a dispute like this? Gambling contracts are generally unenforceable at law anyway. Nowhere in the Pokerstars tournament rules does it say that principles of U.S. contract law will be applied to the issue of whether a deal has been reached in a tournament.

The original poster welched on his agreement to rebate $10.50. Why does anyone have sympathy for him?
Old 05-31-2005, 06:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The original poster welched on his agreement to rebate $10.50. Why does anyone have sympathy for him?

[/ QUOTE ]

Because he's the lesser of two evils. Yeah he was kind of a schmuck, but the guy who got his money is the greatest angle-shooter i've ever seen on pokerstars. You want him to be able to successfully get away with this? I guarantee its not the first time he's done it, and he will do it again.
Old 05-31-2005, 06:46 PM

And deals just shouldn't just be this easy to fall into. If he suceeds in getting away with this, he may get away with other deals where the victim isn't even being sarcastic, but just doesn't understand what he's being asked, etc. etc. Its just a bad precedent to let pokerstars get away with being this dumb.
Old 05-31-2005, 06:57 PM

Sounds like you don't even understand what an angle shot is. The other guy just asked for a rebate if he lost. That isn't an angle shot. The OP said yes, but he did not follow through.
Old 05-31-2005, 07:01 PM

Default Thanks for the lesson

Thanks for the warning. I appreciated the heads up and will be in the know in case any idiot tries that when I am playing.

I transferred $2 to your account.

THANKS
Old 05-31-2005, 07:05 PM

You really think the other guy was really asking for a rebate, and when the guy said "ya" thought, oh good, he just agreed, for no reason, to give me a rebate? I doubt it. it was an angle shot because the guy abused an angle, he knew that pokerstars had a lax deal-making policy, apparently knew their customer support was dumb, and used this knowledge to trick the victim into agreeing to it. Now the guy has gotten his feet wet. What if next time, the guy goes: Angle Shooter: "If I lose, can I have $100?" Perplexed Victim: "Haha, sure whatever." Should we hold it against the victim this time?
Old 05-31-2005, 07:10 PM

There are a lot of people new to online poker and poker in general. They need to be protected from this crap.

I have played poker over 25 years and would never have guessed this could have happened...It's one thing to cut a deal and another to give away something for nothing.

Luckily, the stakes were small and we are all the wiser(at least the few hundred of us who have read this thread).
Old 05-31-2005, 07:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Glassworks: If I lose can you transfer me $10.50?
Colombo218: ya

[/ QUOTE ]

An honest answer to Glassworks question has to be "yes", regardless of any actual intent to make this transfer.

Do you see why?
Old 05-31-2005, 07:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
An honest answer to Glassworks question has to be "yes", regardless of any actual intent to make this transfer.

Do you see why?

[/ QUOTE ]

Excellent Point:
http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=ya

Don't see it meaning "yes" there.

--"yay" oops, forgot to add that pesky 'y'.
---Slippery Slope: "Q: Can i have $10 Bucks, A: Whatever you say man. Q: Can I have $10 Bucks, A: haha yes.... not"