Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Home Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-04-2005, 10:59 PM

Default Re: Thanks & I\'m stubborn

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
First off, thanks to AJ and his lovely (and lively!) fiancee for hosting this marquee event. I am sure I speak for very many of us when I say I had a great time.

So, if I take the bounty, I have 7600 out of a total of 57000 chips in play. I don't remember the exact chip distributions at that point, but I have a decent idea: AJ and Ghazban both had stacks in the mid-high teens and the other 5 of us were all pretty short, sitting on somewhere between 3000 and 8000 each. I ran Eastbay's ICM program for two chip distributions in that ballpark and got 13.6% and 13.9% equity for my 7600 stack. That works out to about $155 of the $1120 prize pool.

After taking the 2000 chips, I had 9600 out of a total of 59000. When I ran Eastbay's program for the same two chip distributions, I got 16.1% and 16.4% equity. This works out to about $185 of the $1140 prize pool.

So, according to an ICM model anyhow, I gain about $10 by taking the chips over the bounty.

I don't really see why the high blinds would invalidate the ICM model results, so I think taking the chips was the right move.

Curious what you guys think.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think you're a Russian Math Master. Too bad math guys don't always win, you've gotta have a "FEEL" for this game. Like when your opponent has Aces and you have Queens, or your opponent has Kings and you have Tens, or your opponent has Queens and you have Ace/Ten. I won two out of those three hands, both where I had about a -3% chance of winning. You obviously have much to learn, my young padawan. w00t!

[/ QUOTE ]

On the other hand it looks like my call with 99 was a mistake. I suspected as much. It's a JJ+, maybe TT+ spot.
Old 06-04-2005, 11:02 PM

Default Re: PICTURES FROM THE EVENT!

[ QUOTE ]
Check out these ugly mugs people, this is why the 2+2 forums are text-based.

[/ QUOTE ]

UGH shouldn't my nickname be The Limp-Wristed Hunchback of Noobiedom?
Old 06-05-2005, 03:43 AM

Default Re: Event Full & Details: Still Accepting Spots On Wait List

First off, thanks to AJ for hosting the event and secondly, congrats to AJ for winning it!

It was great to finally meet some of the people behind the names on these forums. A great time was had by all and, though I didn't win it, I didn't make any major mistakes and generally got my money in with the best of it. The rest is just pokah.

I'm definitely in for the next one, whoever hosts it, wherever and whenever it occurs.
Old 06-05-2005, 04:26 AM

Default Re: Event Full & Details: Still Accepting Spots On Wait List

[ QUOTE ]

I'm definitely in for the next one, whoever hosts it, wherever and whenever it occurs.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ditto, even though I'm moving to Brooklyn next week. I'll find a way!
Old 06-05-2005, 07:45 AM

Default Re: Central Mass 2+2 Challenge Two-The Suckout Masters Strike Back

Congrats AJ. Oh god there will be no living with you now. But all this proves is there is much validity to that old cliche about the blind squirrel.
Old 06-05-2005, 09:07 AM

Location: Pokah Is Nice, I Love Play Pokah (Chau Giang quote) Location: Massachusetts

[ QUOTE ]
Congrats AJ. Oh god there will be no living with you now. But all this proves is there is much validity to that old cliche about the blind squirrel.

[/ QUOTE ]

Even a blind squirrel finds an acorn once in awhile? Heh. Nah, I won't allow this victory to get to my head. I know I was riDONKulously lucky to beat Kilgore's Aces and Ghazban's Kings.

I don't think I played my hands poorly in those situations, based on my position, chip count and the number of players in the hand (or at the table) during those times.

Still, I must say that it was extremely refreshing to be the dominant chipstack throughout most of the tournament. I was able to make a lot of plays I never get to do (because usually I'm just an average chip stack or slightly above). It was much easier for me to bet bottom pair when we were four-handed, because I could eliminate my opponent or double him up without much damage to my own stack.

The money was exceedingly helpful. I can now get things going on the semi-pro track with JoeTalls Empire rakeback, and see how well I can continue playing in Omaha Hi/Lo.

Anyway, sorry you missed the event, maybe we'll see ya in the sequel! I have a crown/title to defend now.
Old 06-05-2005, 11:32 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I know I was riDONKulously lucky to beat Kilgore's Aces.

[/ QUOTE ]

My fault. I jinxed Dan when I told him I'd pay him a $10 bounty if he knocked you out. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 06-05-2005, 04:46 PM

No problem about the beat, AJ. Certainly not the first time, and won't be the last. Congrats on the win.

The hand that crippled me was against Ilya.

I held A/8 of hearts. Flop was 2h/3h/Kc. I bet the pot. ilya raised 2x the pot. He had been playing it pretty tight to this point. It was a good spot for him to bluff, if that's what he was up to. I decided to semi-bluff call [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]. Turn was the Qc. I checked, thinking Ilya would either check it through or push (the pot was something like 4K or so). Instead, he only bet half the pot, which seemed too enticing a bet for me to call. I decided he had the goods and I laid it down. Rabbit hunting was the Kd, so I was no good anyway. I was down to 3K. A solid 50 minutes of 92, 83, and K5 limited my options.

The AA hand was the first I played in a while. The tough beat coupled with the steady diet of rags and your chirping made a hasty retreat the best option.

It worked out though, cause I caught lots of cards in my online session later and more than made up for the $120 BR hit.

Thanks again for hosting, and I'm gunning for you in the next one.
Old 06-05-2005, 05:10 PM

Location: Pokah Is Nice, I Love Play Pokah (Chau Giang quote) Location: Massachusetts
Default Re: Chirping

[ QUOTE ]
No problem about the beat, AJ. Certainly not the first time, and won't be the last. Congrats on the win.

The hand that crippled me was against Ilya.

I held A/8 of hearts. Flop was 2h/3h/Kc. I bet the pot. ilya raised 2x the pot. He had been playing it pretty tight to this point. It was a good spot for him to bluff, if that's what he was up to. I decided to semi-bluff call [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]. Turn was the Qc. I checked, thinking Ilya would either check it through or push (the pot was something like 4K or so). Instead, he only bet half the pot, which seemed too enticing a bet for me to call. I decided he had the goods and I laid it down. Rabbit hunting was the Kd, so I was no good anyway. I was down to 3K. A solid 50 minutes of 92, 83, and K5 limited my options.

The AA hand was the first I played in a while. The tough beat coupled with the steady diet of rags and your chirping made a hasty retreat the best option.

It worked out though, cause I caught lots of cards in my online session later and more than made up for the $120 BR hit.

Thanks again for hosting, and I'm gunning for you in the next one.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, my chirping never helps matters, sorry. Was just happy that for once I was the one laying the suckouts instead of receiving them. I don't think I played my two major suckouts poorly, but I certainly did get lucky.

And that Ghazban fellow certainly had me beat in the chirping department. Anyway, I won't be "gunning" for anyone in particular next time, I just want all the chips. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 06-05-2005, 06:43 PM

Default Re: Chirping

just had my fist ever royal... in 2+ years of serious poker... at crunchster's expense

oh and among my top priorities is never to show up another poker player. we all get lucky and we all take beats. never show up your opponents.