Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-19-2005, 03:38 PM

Location: download an irc client at www.hydrairc.com (freeware not spyware), connect to irc.efnet.net, and join the channel #twoplustwo to chat live with other 2+2 posters
Default Re: The piece of sh*t didn\'t get enough of a beating if you ask me...

i agree that a human life is a human life. i completely disagree that the loss of one is no sadder than the loss of another, and i think you are posing for the boards if you say that.

your quote: "The loss of any one of these is no sadder than the loss of another."

that quote has nothing to do with the "value" of a life, the statement of "a life is a life", or whatever. it's saying that if your adolescent kid dies of cancer it's no sadder than your estranged uncle tim. from a distance you can say that a cop is the same as an addict, but if you know both of them your opinion will be heavily influenced by how they lived. that means it is actually different, it's just that you're not close enough to care so you're feigning objectivity.
Old 04-19-2005, 03:43 PM

No one else is saying it, so I will -- any chance that the cop was asking for it?

Ahhhh . . . . I can feel the hate wash over me . . . [img]/images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img]

I guess I'd feel more sympathy if so many cops weren't lazy corrupt assholes. Still, assuming he wasn't asking for it, I'll agree it's a shame, and I can understand the actions of his buddies, who for once were actually justified in using excessive force.
Old 04-19-2005, 04:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If this guy killed someone who was like a brother to me, I would beat him unconscious. Put me in jail, I really don't care. It makes me sick that some of you are taking his side.

[/ QUOTE ]

Just b/c people think the cops behaved illegally or improperly, does not mean they are taking the kid's side. I don't thikn there has been one post suggesting this kid not go to jail b/c of the beating he received. I can't understand how you can fail to see that both parties were wrong, with one wrong being more severe or more wrong than the other.
Old 04-19-2005, 04:20 PM

I understand that both parties were wrong. Regardless, I'm still beating the [censored] out of the guy. He is a waste of life and a detrement to society. He killed an officer and may have stabbed an 87 year-old lady. He got what he deserved.
Old 04-19-2005, 04:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
if someone shot your buddy ande you ahd a chance to kick his ass would you?

[/ QUOTE ]

No (I hope). I'm not sacrificing my job for the rest of life (I'm a lawyer, so assault probably = disbarment) and my freedom (because I'd got to jail) for a few minutes of vengeance.

EDIT: Nothing is accomplished by beating the [censored] out of the guy who killed your best friend. Your friend is still dead.

EDIT2: I think a felony assault conviction would make a lot of people effectively unhireable.
Old 04-19-2005, 05:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i agree that a human life is a human life. i completely disagree that the loss of one is no sadder than the loss of another, and i think you are posing for the boards if you say that.

your quote: "The loss of any one of these is no sadder than the loss of another."

that quote has nothing to do with the "value" of a life, the statement of "a life is a life", or whatever. it's saying that if your adolescent kid dies of cancer it's no sadder than your estranged uncle tim. from a distance you can say that a cop is the same as an addict, but if you know both of them your opinion will be heavily influenced by how they lived. that means it is actually different, it's just that you're not close enough to care so you're feigning objectivity.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agreed that I personally would feel more loss to those that are close to me than some mere random stranger or someone I dont know as well. That still doesnt give their life more "value" just means their passing affects me in a stronger way.

But when its two people I dont know, then a young girl dying of cancer isnt any sadder to me than a 50 year old junkie dying. And honestly neither one brings much response for me.
Old 04-19-2005, 05:46 PM

Location: download an irc client at www.hydrairc.com (freeware not spyware), connect to irc.efnet.net, and join the channel #twoplustwo to chat live with other 2+2 posters

i am not debating that there is a difference between a close friend/relative and an unknown. i think that one is very obvious. i am debating that if you had a little sister and she died of cancer and a 50 year old junkie uncle who overdosed, you would be much more typically saddened by the girl dying and it would have to do with the details of her general life: young, innocent, etc.

thus there is a huge difference between a cop and a junkie dying. their lives have equal independent 'value', as do their deaths. but to a relative of both the cop's death would be much sadder, a direct disagreement with what you claimed. who a person is, what they do, and the details of their life determine their death's effect on people. 'good' people's deaths are going to be sadder than 'bad' people's deaths, so you were wrong. if you were at a close distance to the individuals your 'objectivity' would fail you.
Old 04-19-2005, 05:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i am not debating that there is a difference between a close friend/relative and an unknown. i think that one is very obvious. i am debating that if you had a little sister and she died of cancer and a 50 year old junkie uncle, you would be much more typically saddened by the girl dying and it would have to do with the details of her general life: young, innocent, etc.

[/ QUOTE ]

I would be sadder because id be way closer to my little sister than I would a junkie uncle, I wouldnt be sadder because she is young and innocent.
Old 04-19-2005, 05:53 PM

you're being a [censored] idiot if you're focusing on the relativity of it. 4 y/o sister, 50 y/o brother. ok retard? are you trolling or honestly this stupid?
Old 04-19-2005, 06:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
EDIT2: I think a felony assault conviction would make a lot of people effectively unhireable.

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't worry - no jury in the WORLD would convict you of a damn thing if that were the case.