Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-20-2004, 09:36 PM

Default Re: Young Hi-Limit Players?

but you are under the IRS radar at 18, chance of audit 1/10000. That is until you buy something. Then they start asking questions.
Old 07-20-2004, 10:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I still think that if I was smart I'd like to be able to look back on my life and point at a more direct impact I've had on someone's life. Just my opinion

[/ QUOTE ]

Exactly. It's just your opinion, and because of that, it's what would undoubtedly be smart for you personally. We can't really define happiness for anyone else though. Heck, sometimes it's quite a trick just to define it for ourselves.
Old 07-20-2004, 11:48 PM

Hey PJ,

I was making the assumption that turning 500 into 2M in 6 years would involve a lot of playing hours and would be damned hard work. I think thats a reasonable assumption.

It would and it is. But in my case, I still enjoy it more than anything else I could be doing right now.

But I still think that if I was smart I'd like to be able to look back on my life and point at a more direct impact I've had on someone's life.

You can still play poker professionally and accomplish this. Just because poker is my current occupation doesn't mean it's my life, or that I don't spend a lot of my time doing things that benefit others rather than myself. Making an impact and playing poker professionally don't have to be mutually exculsive.

GoT
Old 07-21-2004, 04:55 AM

since I started playing full time I almost never drink. Even when I'm on an evening out I'm hoping to play later and therefore don't drink. I quit smoking too so I wouldn't need to go outside for smoke breaks all the time.
I'm getting downright boring!

Steve
Old 07-21-2004, 05:08 AM

The perfect job in my opinion is one where I don't have to deal with a boss (I always say the wrong thing and piss them off), deal with clients (they always say the wrong thing and piss me off), manufacture anything, or have employees (see above). Even if i made less than my other jobs, poker is stll better, and I don't. True, I'm not curing cancer, but my kids don't need daycare, I make every game and school event, and I know what my 13 yo daughter is up too at all times. Those other jobs you mentioned don't offer what I'm looking for in life.

Steve
Old 07-21-2004, 06:41 AM

A real estae trainer named Mike Ferry once said, "It is hard to help the poor if you are one of them"
Old 07-21-2004, 11:48 AM

I don't drink when I play poker either. Dulling your brain may help if you've got the brain of a psycho, but a depressant that affects judgment isn't conducive to a game in which you want to be able to think quickly and clearly and pick up on every little thing.
Old 07-21-2004, 12:47 PM

I currently work in high finance (I'm 26) and 2M in 6 years after tax is basically impossible. The only way that's possible is in I-Banking and even then its taking more than 6 years straight out of undergrad. You're pulling down 1M per before tax by your early 30s, but at 28 I cant see how its possible to build up a $2M fortune after tax.

I should be pulling 400K-500K by the time I'm 28 (equity research) so 1M by 31-32 banked isn't completely out of the question.

I would never drop my gig for poker no matter how skilled I was because my current pay has an infinite reward/risk ratio (unless I f*ck up seriously bad, which will not happen) Poker, no matter how good you are, can never approach that.

Also, after a couple years of service finance jobs become dead easy. The 14 hour days are gone by the time you have 4 years experience...I'm 8-6 nowadays.

then again, maybe I'll get canned for reading 2+2 too much at work. That would be pretty funny...
Old 07-21-2004, 01:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The dude is loaded and has a hot girlfriend.
I'm jealous.

[/ QUOTE ]

You got a pic of his gf?

nude?
Old 07-21-2004, 01:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
The dude is loaded and has a hot girlfriend.
I'm jealous.

[/ QUOTE ]

You got a pic of his gf?

nude?

[/ QUOTE ]

What a great first post [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]