Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-20-2004, 05:55 PM

Default Re: Hand To Talk About

"The only problem I have with this is that you can't have it both ways... Either the guy was semi-bluff raising with a heart draw (making SKP's point that Mason would often call without an ace), or he has a real hand in which case, he may or may not bet the river."

but if he has a straight draw on a 4 flush board, he might not want to pump the flop, but be unable to fold. (which is what he did on the flop). and then the Ace scare card on the turn ...
Old 07-20-2004, 06:47 PM

Default Re: not much more to say

"just for the record mason has said before (applies to river but im extrapolating) that he would play the hand the exact same way with, say, 89s , (at least some of the time)."

he is lying. everybody in the know, including him, knows that he would never ever play 98 this way.
Old 07-20-2004, 06:57 PM

Default Re: not much more to say

let's ask him. Mason, have you ever played a hand this way with a straight draw?(89s out of the blind)

for the record though, i was talking about betting the river with a missed straight draw when the flush draw got there.

but given the incredible number of hands mason has played during his career, i find it impossible to believe he has not played a hand exsactly the same way he played this one, with the exception that he held the busted straight draw instead of the AK pair/flush.

you give him far too little credit.

note that i didnt say it would be 'correct', only that he had done it.
Old 07-21-2004, 12:52 PM

Default Question?

Hi Everyone:

So now that I have learned that this particular opponent (plus Clarkmeister [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]) is capable of making a surprise laydown on the river in a fairly large pot, what's that worth to me in the long run?

Best wishes,
Mason
Old 07-21-2004, 01:38 PM

Default Re: Question?

A lot. It's good to be The Mason. If I could get people to make these folds, I'd be chilling with Zee in Montana in no time. You may have to stop printing so many books and get in the card barn more often, because that kind of fold equity is worth a ton.

I still can't believe these posts about you, Mason. Why would Clark, or anyone else for that matter, actually think that you play any different than the book you wrote says, when in my (albeit brief) experience in playing with you it seems that we actually play much closer styles than most would believe? This shouldn't really be that surprising, since you taught me how to play, but I'm Just Another Sucker.
Old 07-21-2004, 01:54 PM

I'm still waiting to hear one hand that Mason would play exactly in this fashion that doesn't beat top pair no kicker. One.
Old 07-21-2004, 02:02 PM

In a big pot, I can think of three hands, though he may not reraise JJ preflop, so maybe only two.
Old 07-21-2004, 02:08 PM

No, not in a "big pot". In this exact hand with this exact action. One, that's all I ask.
Old 07-21-2004, 02:31 PM

Wont KK QQ still be there on the river and have played this way up to now? If mason knew the player could fold almost all his hands to a river bet he could then bet KK QQ.
Old 07-21-2004, 04:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Wont KK QQ still be there on the river and have played this way up to now? If mason knew the player could fold almost all his hands to a river bet he could then bet KK QQ.

[/ QUOTE ]

But Mason doesn't know at the time of this hand that his opponent will fold to a river bet. This is confirmed by Mason being surprised that his opponent folded.