Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-04-2005, 07:27 PM

Default Re: What Tiffany Willaimson did right

Blinds at 15/30/5k Williamson had about 800k, Sheikhan with QQ has about 1.7m. What else should be noted is that Tiffany said she was steaming after losing with AJ v KK against Raymer.
Old 11-04-2005, 07:50 PM

Steaming because she horribly overplayed AJ or because she didn't suck out?
Old 11-04-2005, 07:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Steaming because she horribly overplayed AJ or because she didn't suck out?

[/ QUOTE ]

From her article on Gutshot:

[ QUOTE ]
Day Five, I think, was the turning point in the tournament for me. I got on the TV table and overplayed AJ to Greg Raymer, thinking he was on a complete steal. Of course he had KKs and I got no help from the flop, turn or river. I was crippled. But a hand or two later, when I was completely steaming, I doubled back up with another overplayed Ace.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 11-04-2005, 07:54 PM

As a general response to people in this thread: why do you sit around obsessing over the fact that one person got lucky? You all are so [censored] jealous that you need to sit around saying "if that were me with those cards, I woulda won the whole thing!" WAAH WAAH WAAH. Get over it. What if your grandmother went to the WSOP having never played a hand of poker, but just wanted to gamble. She tried her best, took it very seriously, and even though she didn't understand a lot of concepts she still made it into the top 30. You'd be ecstatic for her! Meanwhile a bunch of acne scarred teenagers would sit around on poker forums calling her all sorts of awful names and generally griping at her luck. Plenty of people get lucky at poker - that's why it's so great! But most of you people need to get a clue. There is always somebody better than you. I'm sure that 95% of the people that go out of their way to criticize a self-professed novice have never made a significant amount of money at poker - and consistently make plays that the best players would sit around and laugh about if they were as inclined to waste their time as you all are.

She is a woman who played her best and got very lucky(just like everybody did who made it that far in the ME). She is not Phil Hellmuth or Mike Matusow, proclaiming that she is God's gift to the poker world. She is just another person who has figured out how to play poker and has a love for the game(just like everybody in this thread). We were all novices at one point, [censored] get over it.
-James
Old 11-04-2005, 08:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
As a general response to people in this thread: why do you sit around obsessing over the fact that one person got lucky? You all are so [censored] jealous that you need to sit around saying "if that were me with those cards, I woulda won the whole thing!" WAAH WAAH WAAH. Get over it. What if your grandmother went to the WSOP having never played a hand of poker, but just wanted to gamble. She tried her best, took it very seriously, and even though she didn't understand a lot of concepts she still made it into the top 30. You'd be ecstatic for her! Meanwhile a bunch of acne scarred teenagers would sit around on poker forums calling her all sorts of awful names and generally griping at her luck. Plenty of people get lucky at poker - that's why it's so great! But most of you people need to get a clue. There is always somebody better than you. I'm sure that 95% of the people that go out of their way to criticize a self-professed novice have never made a significant amount of money at poker - and consistently make plays that the best players would sit around and laugh about if they were as inclined to waste their time as you all are.

She is a woman who played her best and got very lucky(just like everybody did who made it that far in the ME). She is not Phil Hellmuth or Mike Matusow, proclaiming that she is God's gift to the poker world. She is just another person who has figured out how to play poker and has a love for the game(just like everybody in this thread). We were all novices at one point, [censored] get over it.
-James

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I couldn't agree more.
Old 11-04-2005, 08:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]

-James

[/ QUOTE ]

James, VERY well said ... I give you a STANDING Ovation for that one! [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]
Old 11-04-2005, 08:52 PM

Russ McGinley, you are IMO, a total jerk ... and if that Avitar you are using isn't a personal attack against Tiffany, I don't know what is.
Old 11-04-2005, 09:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Hehe ... I guess I've been thinking about this a LOT of late, since I've been experiencing myself, a lot of bad beats of late (I swear, my PP A's have been cursed of late). Hence I have been wondering if Karma isn't coming into play here somehow.

That is, I'm getting Karma payback for all the bad beats *I* delivered when I didn't know any better when I first started playing.

Still, I do find it quite interesting how people really DO tend to forget what it was like when THEY were first learning how to play.

Many players seem to have the attitude, that THEY are perfect players (sorry guys, but this seems especially true of the male players), who came out of their mothers wombs knowing how to play PERFECT poker, and just can't seem to understand, why EVERYONE doesn't play the way THEY do.

[/ QUOTE ]

Karma is a nice idea, but you don't need it to conceptualize which side of bad beats you're on. It sounds like you're the one making better decisions now so you're the one more likely to receiveth rather than giveth bad beats.

I agree with you that many players forget what it was like when they were learning and act like they have a perfect handle on how to play. Playing against players like that can be very profitable because they'll sometimes tell you how they play for free.

[/ QUOTE ]

[img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] I agree ... and I find that they are MUCH easier to get on tilt as well, and once I get them there ... their butts belong to ME.

On the other part, of course NONE of us poker players are superstitious (wicked grin), so we never ever wonder if Karma is working against us, wear the same shirt every day during a poker tournaments, or (as I do) have my Underdog magnet that I use for a card cover, face down to ward off the bad beats.

[img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]

I find what ever makes it better and gives you an edge phsycologically (sp) as well, is fine too.

Plus, I've discovered over time that if Poker doesn't leave you talking to yourself from time to time ... ya ain't playing the game right. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

In any case, thank you. Yes, I have been playing better over the course of the last year or so.

There is no shame in making mistakes either, especially if they help you learn and grow not only as a poker player, but a person.

If you don't have the experiences, then you can't learn from them.

That said, I know now how it must of felt, all those people that *I* sucked out as a newbie player when I first started playing.

I also remember what it was like when I was a newbie player, where everyone expected me to come to the table as an instant expert on poker, and play every hand perfectly from day one.

I try hard, even now to NOT become sooo Jaded, as to NOT remember what it was like to be a Newbie player.

I really respect Tiffany, and it's obvious that she's trying very hard to learn poker and to play better, under a very GLARING spotlight. Kudos also, for the class she's shown dealing with her detractors as well.
Old 11-04-2005, 09:28 PM

Dan Druff? Is that you?
Old 11-04-2005, 09:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Dan Druff? Is that you?

[/ QUOTE ]

Okay, just who is Dan Druff??