Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-06-2005, 10:15 AM

Default Re: Game 2 Thoughts

[ QUOTE ]

LA and Chicago seem to be real baseball teams that do all of the small things needed to win. They are complete teams. Neither has the superstar ridden lineups of Bos/NY but they can both pitch (starting and releiving), play sound defense, run the bases and get the most out of situations offensively. The ESPN crowd likes to slobber over Arod and Papi and the like. And it's true that Bos/NY have the best individual players but they don't have the best baseball teams.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, the Angels definately don't have any stars...
Old 10-06-2005, 11:25 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

It's refreshing to see someone on these boards actually understands baseball. Bos/NYY are totally one dimensional teams based solely on offense. And not even situational offense but thump thump thump. Neither team plays fundamental baseball particularly well.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think a lot of people just get close to hysterical about their favorite team and lose a bit of common sense.

But seriously, the Yankees and Boston have no chance. They have great lineups... but what can you do, good pitching beats good hitting...

[/ QUOTE ]

I disagree with the part of NY/Bos having no chance.

While the Yanks staff has been miserable this year, it has been pretty good in the past month and the Angels staff is fairly mediocre once you get past Colon.

Boston is in a deep hole, but they have a great home record and I would put my money on them in a game 5 situation vs. Chicago (although I would hope to lose my money).

And never count out experience. Chicago has none. They pulled it out in the last week of the season, but that was more because of Cleveland's implosion.
Old 10-06-2005, 12:35 PM

Yeah, "no chance" is a bit strong. The Yankees and Red Sox had about the same differential between runs scored and runs allowed as the Angels and White Sox this year. The four teams are essentially evenly matched. While yesterday's games pointed out the weaknesses of the Yankees and Red Sox, one could also say that the first game of the Yankees/Angels series pointed out the Angels weaknesses: a lack of power and a sub-par fielding left-fielder. All four teams have strengths and weaknesses and when they lose a game it's easy to emphasize the weaknesses.

So while I'd be surprised if the Yankees or Red Sox made it to the World Series, I wouldn't be shocked. The Sox are extraordinarily tough at home and have Wakefield and Schilling pitching, and I like the Yankees' next two starting pitchers better than the Angels'.
Old 10-06-2005, 02:18 PM

I was definitely being sarcastic about "no chance", it was in reference to the poster who was saying good pitching beats good hitting, which is a useless statement.

To me the frustrating thing about last night was that the game was in the Yankees' hands in the 5th inning. Wang was doing a great job, and the angels were flat. The yankees were obviously going to get some more good offensive chances, and wang had thrown so few pitches that it didnt look tough to get to the good part of the pen. but, we all know the story.

I think the Yankees have an edge, in the series. Not a big one, but they should be the favorites. The chisox are obviously favorites but i agree with everything you said about that series and boston.
Old 10-06-2005, 03:28 PM

Default Re: ***The OFFICIAL Yanks @ Angels ALDS***

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
why not?

[/ QUOTE ]

You don't have to throw anyone out at home who is tagging up from 3rd if you catch the ball - that guy is now going to score automatically. If it falls in front, you are coming in and can throw out the guy coming in from 2nd. If it goes over your head though, you definitely lose all 3 runs. Play back and the most you give up is two and have a shot at the plate to keep it at 1. It's the first inning, you can't afford to have what happened, happen.

[/ QUOTE ]

um, there were two outs - no one is tagging.
Old 10-06-2005, 04:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]

And never count out experience. Chicago has none. They pulled it out in the last week of the season, but that was more because of Cleveland's implosion.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, had nothing to do with their 99 wins.
Old 10-06-2005, 04:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, had nothing to do with their 99 wins.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm talking about experience under pressure and in the playoffs - it has nothing to do with the amount of wins a team has. Case in point - 2001 Mariners
Old 10-06-2005, 04:29 PM

Does anyone else think it made sense to pull Wang while the Angels were clearly bunting? It's easier to bunt off a sinkerball pitcher than a high fastball.

I know Wang was pitching well but I hate to just let them bunt. Sturtze was a possibility, but I was thinking maybe bring in Gordon.
Old 10-06-2005, 04:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Does anyone else think it made sense to pull Wang while the Angels were clearly bunting? It's easier to bunt off a sinkerball pitcher than a high fastball.

I know Wang was pitching well but I hate to just let them bunt. Sturtze was a possibility, but I was thinking maybe bring in Gordon.

[/ QUOTE ]

no, thats not really an option
Old 10-06-2005, 04:35 PM

The idea crossed my mind during the game,and I think this is me using hindsight to make myself feel better about the loss or something.