Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-11-2005, 01:20 AM

Default Re: \"Official\" Live at the Bike thread (6/10)

Where was the river (politically incorrect prefix)-bet by Daryn? He cost himself the pot
<font color="white"> This is a jopke. Please refrain from bunching panties. </font>
Old 06-11-2005, 04:37 AM

Default Re: Q: how does one instantly lose all credibility?

[ QUOTE ]
However, these days I consider it rude to blatantly fish for tells. Like bombarding an opponent with questions or whatever. Turning your cards face up falls into that category. I think the emerging national tournament rules specifically prohibit the practice.

[/ QUOTE ]

Steve Iino, a top Poker Manager at Hollywood Park, told me that his floorpeople are seeing this (turning cards face up when facing a bet) a lot in the $100 and $200 NL games. Naturally this causes problems since beginning players often think their opponent has folded and they open their hand too. He asked my opinion and I pointed out that it isn't against the rules, but most NL rules seem as if they are designed for experienced players, and this may be unrealistic considering the influx of new players. Steve seemed to agree on this.

Steve's opinion is that if Player A bets and Player B turns his hand face up without calling, if Player A then turns his hand face up Player B's hand should be dead. I thought this might be a good idea, but such a policy/rule would be new and have to be clearly posted. After reading this thread I thought about this more. If you are going to have a rule covering this it should say "Any time a player is facing a bet or raise and turns his hand face up without calling, his hand will normally be declared dead". (I'm using the word "normally" to provide some leeway when a player doesn't see a small bet or raise he clearly intended to call).

I also mentioned that my understanding was that in tournaments this practice is not allowed, and my guess is that some of the better and applicable tournament rules will trickle down to the ring games. I was wrong about the tournament rule though. A moment ago I looked up the online TDA rules. Assuming these are the current TDA rules, rule #35 says "A player who exposes his cards during the play may incur a penalty, but will not have his hand killed.". I'm really not sure what "may incur a penalty" means in practice [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img].

I believe this sort of thing has been discussed a bit on the NL forums (too tired to search for old threads now), but I'm curious what you guys think and whether or not the subject is worth a new thread of its own. I'll try to look at the related incident from tonight when it goes up on the archives.

Regards,

Rick
Old 06-11-2005, 07:09 PM

Default Re: \"Official\" Live at the Bike thread (6/10)

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In risposta di:</font><hr />
Where was the river (politically incorrect prefix)-bet by Daryn? He cost himself the pot
<font color="white"> This is a jopke. Please refrain from bunching panties. </font>

[/ QUOTE ]

gave up on that one. of course the only way i win is to bet out on the river or checkraise him, but i just gave up. he says if i fired out a bet on the river he would move in, and i totally believe him. he had it in his mind to bluff the hand on the end because he was so sure i had nothing. sure everyone says that but like i said i believe him