Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-09-2005, 11:02 AM

Default Re: Alleged Logical Fallacies

"Burn me up. I'd rather be cast into the fire than spend eternity stroking the almighty's bloated ego. But I guess some people find "meaning" in jacking off supreme beings with their groveling."

Wow. Those are powerful words.
Old 09-09-2005, 11:20 AM

Default Re: Does he need 100% proof?

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Maybe one reason, is because people with higher than normal IQ's tend to have more money, than stupid people.

[/ QUOTE ]Only a stupid person would place commas where you have.

[/ QUOTE ]
This is my favorite quote ever. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 09-09-2005, 11:22 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Burn me up. I'd rather be cast into the fire than spend eternity stroking the almighty's bloated ego.

[/ QUOTE ]

Careful what you wish for. Even though David and others might rate there to be only a 10% probability of a God, and only 1% that it is the God of Christianity, I doubt any of them would go this far because if that longshot came in such an attitude would be likely to cause a total loss. Taking this posture is the same as pushing a 1000bb stack into a small pot with nothing.
Old 09-09-2005, 11:30 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Burn me up. I'd rather be cast into the fire than spend eternity stroking the almighty's bloated ego.

[/ QUOTE ]

Careful what you wish for. Even though David and others might rate there to be only a 10% probability of a God, and only 1% that it is the God of Christianity, I doubt any of them would go this far because if that longshot came in such an attitude would be likely to cause a total loss. Taking this posture is the same as pushing a 1000bb stack into a small pot with nothing.

[/ QUOTE ]

If his going to worry about minor stuff like this then my place in hell is already secured.

[ QUOTE ]
Chaplain: Let us praise God. Oh Lord...

Congregation: Oh Lord...

Chaplain: Oooh you are so big...

Congregation: Oooh you are so big...

Chaplain: So absolutely huge.

Congregation: So AB-solutely huge.

Chaplain: Gosh, we're all really impressed down here I can tell you.

Congregation: Gosh, we're all really impressed down here I can tell you.

Chaplain: Forgive Us, O Lord, for this dreadful toadying.

Congregation: And barefaced flattery.

Chaplain: But you are so strong and, well, just so super.

Congregation: FAN-tastic.

[/ QUOTE ]

I should be in good company

chez
Old 09-09-2005, 12:00 PM

Thanks for your reply, I haven't had time to follow all the links yet, but have come to a stop on the first.

I think you are implying that it is too unlikely that the universe could be created by chance:

"Total Probability = 1:10^99"

If I had 2 deck of shuffled cards there would be 104! or 1x10^166 combinations. (A much higher number)

If I shuffled the deck and dealt the 102 cards out to you in sequence, would you dispute the fact that those cards existed, because it is too unlikely that that sequence would appear?

I stuggle to qualify odds with hindsight as having any bearing on whether it has happened. It is like saying I don't believe John Smith won the lottery, even though he has the cheque, because the odds against were too high.
Old 09-09-2005, 12:36 PM

Yeah, I'm not sure about the exact probability calculations either. Different people have proposed different numbers anyway. The importance of that link is to show that creation of the universe by chance is just another of many coincidences that would have to occur for God not to exist.
Old 09-09-2005, 08:16 PM

"Burn me up. I'd rather be cast into the fire than spend eternity stroking the almighty's bloated ego."

"Careful what you wish for. Even though David and others might rate there to be only a 10% probability of a God, and only 1% that it is the God of Christianity, I doubt any of them would go this far because if that longshot came in such an attitude would be likely to cause a total loss. Taking this posture is the same as pushing a 1000bb stack into a small pot with nothing."

There are two things wrong and one thing right with kidluckee's statement. Firstly it is not true. Obviously. Seondly it does nothing to argue for the non existence of God. Therefore I would never say such a thing. Where he is right, though, is that if the gods of most religions (Sklanskyanity being a notable exception) are petty, or vindictive, or need ego stroking, those who believe in such a god are making fools of themselves if they have any more love for him than what is required to avoid his wrath.

PS Note that if God is something like Skanskyanity's God he might actually APPLAUD kidluckee's brazen statement and award him extra perks, thus nullifying BluffTHIS pot odds argument. (In fact even Chrisianity's God could have this attitude.)
Old 09-09-2005, 08:32 PM

Default Re: txaq007\'s Inescapable Error

You're right about ONE thing.

[ QUOTE ]
I know many will read this and think I'm wacko

[/ QUOTE ]