Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-23-2005, 02:46 PM

Default Re: think about this...

[ QUOTE ]
Wow. This thread is brilliant! How is it possible that only 3 or 4 people in this thread actually understand the answer to this question?

The answer has already been given in this thread a couple of times but here's a hint, how do you think rockets take off if they have no wings?

[/ QUOTE ]

This is a great post for two reasons.

1. The tone of the post.
2. The way the author believes planes and rockets are the same, just tilted sideways, and goes so far as to say it's a "hint"
Old 11-23-2005, 02:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Wow. This thread is brilliant! How is it possible that only 3 or 4 people in this thread actually understand the answer to this question?

The answer has already been given in this thread a couple of times but here's a hint, how do you think rockets take off if they have no wings?

[/ QUOTE ]

This is a great post for two reasons.

1. The tone of the post.
2. The way the author believes planes and rockets are the same, just tilted sideways, and goes so far as to say it's a "hint"

[/ QUOTE ]

It is a hint and I never said they were the same.
Old 11-23-2005, 02:37 PM

I could give the answer, but that would kill the thread and we don't have enough MS Paint yet. Eurotrash has been brilliant so far... I'm waiting for more entries.
Old 11-23-2005, 02:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I could give the answer, but that would kill the thread and we don't have enough MS Paint yet. Eurotrash has been brilliant so far... I'm waiting for more entries.

[/ QUOTE ]

ppl are claiming you already gave it...which it appears you did.

can you just PM the answer with a short explanation that will settle it so my friend will buy my lunch?

edit-ok now its lunch+$400

Old 11-23-2005, 02:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Fine. I'm not giving up. I want to understand this.

The plane has to move forward to generate lift. I can't get my around how the plane can move forward while still maintaining wheel speed = conveyer speed. Give me a hint.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Fine. I'm not giving up. I want to understand this.

The plane has to move forward to generate lift. I can't get my around how the plane can move forward while still maintaining wheel speed = conveyer speed. Give me a hint.

[/ QUOTE ]
I'm not sure what meaningful hint I can give you that wouldn't give away the explanation. I seriously suggest busting out a good free body diagram.
Old 11-23-2005, 02:59 PM

Old 11-23-2005, 02:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I fail to see how the original conditions of the wheels and conveyor moving at the same speed are met

[/ QUOTE ]
It's a matter of relative speed. As the plane moves forward, the conveyor belt (in a relative way) is moving faster. I've come to the conclusion that the plane will accelerate and take off as well. The wheels are not completely separate from the engine in the case of a plane, as opposed to cars where they are attached to an axle that moves.
Old 11-23-2005, 04:23 PM

What actually happens to the wheels here? Would there be skidding as the plane moves forward, the wheels turn faster and the treadmill adjusts accordingly?

As long as the thrust of jet engines can overcome the drag of the conveyor belt then the plane will take off. Damn, I wish I could remember more from my high school physics class 20 years ago! Patrick, is one of Newton's Laws involved in this? I remember that seemed to be a theme in most high school physics exercises.