Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-07-2004, 05:46 PM

Default My Thoughts

A- you can't take the converter down, I need it up update my blog!!

B- people need to post less. Seriously. I feel like I was public enemy #1 with regards to that. As Joe Tall once pointed out- I'd managed to amass 1K posts without knowing what the hell I was doing.

C- Read more. Think thematically. Everybody posts specific hands, but really they can be grouped into large themes, and if you think that way and look for hands that help answer your questions, you won't feel the need to post every hand.

D- One idea I do like- is to maybe add a tool to the converter that allows for reads. So that you could plus in some reads and have a hand history that looks like this.

Preflop: Dids is CO with 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

UTG(passive) folds, MP calls(LAG), Dids calls, Button(tight) raises, SB(loose) calls, BB(no read) calls, MP(LAG) calls, Dids calls.

Dunno how hard that is to build in, but it would probably improve the quality of the discussion.
Old 10-07-2004, 05:48 PM

Default Re: My Thoughts

B- people need to post less. Seriously. I feel like I was public enemy #1 with regards to that. As Joe Tall once pointed out- I'd managed to amass 1K posts without knowing what the hell I was doing.

LOL!!

I remember those days! Well you posting a lot anways, always seemed like you had skillz [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
Old 10-07-2004, 06:01 PM

The idea of adding reads to the converter is a good one. That would help hand discussion a lot.
Old 10-07-2004, 06:03 PM

Default Re: Moderating

I'm still not convinced there is that bad a problem.

I am pretty sure that the notionof peoples champions and moderators etc is a bad one as well.

I still say its a cycle thing, there are a new breed of players coming in and a number of the regular posters here are ready to move up and have learnt a lot of what they are going to learn here.

Read what interests you, reply to what interests you and ignore the rest. If people are that pissed with how things are then maybe they need a break form posting in this forum.

I think that if anything its the mid-high forum that should be split with mid limit dealing with 5/10 - 10/20 online and high looking after the 15/30 and above online games.

Splitting into beginners etc is just as bad an idea as moderation, who is to say where the beginner line starts and ends it will just end up with elitism outside of beginners.
Old 10-12-2004, 02:39 PM

Dids, idea D has been a part of the converter for the last 7 months. You can use the aliases to include reads.
Old 10-12-2004, 02:54 PM

Default Re: An idea (ATTN: Bison)

killing the converter because people aren't responding to your threads is a horrendous idea. not that you originally proposed this idea, joe tall, not that i don't understand your view, not that the red sox aren't worthy of praise and worship, but really. listen to yourself.

i know there's a lot of crap on this board (see: 99% of my posts) and sometimes that means really helpful posts get skipped over... but sometimes that's just the digs. if newbs be all rehashin' arguments that should have been long buried/shelved/discarded/agreedupon/settled/etc. that's their right, isn't it? and there's usually some oldhand/poobah/guywhospendstoomuchtimeonthisboard to helpfully point them towards a previous discussion and/or berate them for not searching out the answers before posting

how about fixing a couple of posts to the top of forum expounding good forum etiquette? reminding/telling newbs how easy and useful the search function is and how likely it is that their question/issue has already been discussed at length?

and if the problem is REALLY that the true artists of small stakes hold 'em are tired of rehashing all the tired old issues and moving on to higher plains of thinking maybe there should be a seperate forum for this, and let the rest of the punks out there work their way up to that level in here?

and yes... i'm probably a terrible newb myself, particularly since last week crushed my illusions of self-worth over several days of terrible play after expanding to 4 tables at 2/4 (blamed at the time on bad beats, which didn't help, but weren't the issue)

but isn't it better to let people work this stuff out on their own by trial and error and posting ridiculous hands and offering ridiculous advice and slowly learning why both were ridiculous and then learning why the previous "correct" answer wasn't any better than the original "ridiculous" line than it is to remove a wonderful resource like the hand-converter?
Old 10-12-2004, 03:12 PM

This post had nothign to do with newbies/pooh bahs etc...

It had to do with the laziness of posters.

Posting multiple hamds/threads that include NO reads etc...

I had an idea, kill the converter for a week. See what happens to the board (improved quality/decreased traffic)

It wasnt met with approval, no biggie [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 10-12-2004, 03:40 PM

Default The real problem

There aren't any interesting threads. Its kinda hard to have any; almost every situation has been discussed somewhere before.

Correct plays are obvious for a majority of the people here.

Whenever there is something that might warrant discussion, many are quick to dismiss all other options besides the one that they 'know' is right.

That's all i'm saying.
Old 10-12-2004, 03:43 PM

i understand what your post was about... i was addressing what i felt was coming through from tall's post (someone who's posts i generally admire)... i think that coming in really late in this argument most of the other objections have already been raised, argued, and dealt with... and this one has, too, to some extent

but for the most part laziness of posters is NOT a staple of the long-time users... as they've read a lot of the worthwhile posts here...

however, as someone guilty of lazy posting myself i do understand your point, and merely having this discussion, converter or no, hopefully will achieve some of your goals

but as was discussed by others... having an FAQ, or having guidelines fixed to the top of the forum (and locked to prevent endless threads) might be a good idea...

anyway, i'm in late, most of the good ideas have been hashed out, i'm not gonna continue running my mouth on the subject, others have said what i feel more eloquently, and to elaborate on them point by point seems, um, pointless :-)

to be eloquent
Old 10-12-2004, 05:27 PM

Yeah, I guess I'm looking for an easier way. Like instead of using player names use positions instead.