Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > News, Views, and Gossip
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-15-2003, 01:32 AM

Default Re: Bible exortations

divers is an archaic word and in this context it means 'innacurate, false, misleading'. basically, it means that using doctored or fixed weights in business transaction to cheat your customers is a bad, dishonest thing to do, and God frowns upone it.

but the humor is still there. good one!
Old 11-15-2003, 02:35 AM

Default Re: witnessing at the table?!

One of the ways the faith is brought to sad individuals is to argue how much in the way of life improvement similar conversions have meant to other people. Of course it's is never pointed out that this happens in virtually all religions.

I agree with you that pragmatism is probably the main reason most people stick with a certain religion. I personally am a "born again" Christian. When I am forced to examine the impetus of my religious beliefs, I have to admit that it is based purely on personal experience and the faith that those personal experiences are the result of God working in my life. All of our lives are based on perspective. There's nothing concrete about human emotions or beliefs; they're completely subjective and biased based on our personal experiences. That we do not all agree should be expected.

This is what I believe. If you do not, that is fine; I can't expect you to believe what I believe. But to be intolerant of me vocalizing my beliefs isn't right. To quote the book of James, "Faith without works is dead." If I truly believe, then I won't be able to not act on my faith. If I were to remain silent and inactive in regard to my Christianity, I would have to question my faith. If I make a casual comment relating to my religioius beliefs, am I really being rude or inappropriate?

I think it should be asked that mainstream America be just as tolerant of Christianity as they demand Christianity be of other minority viewpoints.

GoT
Old 11-17-2003, 05:50 AM

Default Re: Inappropriate Remarks at the Poker Table

[ QUOTE ]
If you werent an Athiest you might not think "God Bless You" is pleasant. i. e. I dont think Osama likes that remark.

[/ QUOTE ]

Last time I checked, Osama believed in God too. He might take offense to Jesus loves tho [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] I'm agnostic but would a christian get mad if someone got up for the table and said "may Alah bless you?".....Unfortunatly Im guessing the answer is prolly "yes", which is why the world is as F'ed up as it is. Everyone is too scared that thier precious little belief structure is wrong, and so they cling to it with zealot like conviction and try to remove everyone who thinks differently
Old 11-17-2003, 10:42 AM

it's better to be like me, don't be offended by anything...

if a guy gets up from the table and says, well F*** you all!!! would you really be offended?? not me! i might even enjoy some laughter
Old 11-17-2003, 02:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]

if a guy gets up from the table and says, well F*** you all!!! would you really be offended?? not me! i might even enjoy some laughter

[/ QUOTE ]

Lol, I would laugh my ass off. I've often wanted to get up from the poker table and have it be like the scene in "Half Baked"....F you! F you! your cool, F you....im out!!
Old 11-17-2003, 04:53 PM

I still find animal sacrifice a good way to achieve atonement. I must not have gotten the memo alerting us to stop.
Old 11-17-2003, 05:25 PM

Matthew 5:17 states that Jesus does not revoke the laws of the Old testament.

True enough, but most of the NT "wisdom" that fundamentalists quote are not Jesus' words, but Paul's.