Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-31-2005, 01:37 AM

Default Re: This is horrible.

[ QUOTE ]
I cannot even fathom what these people are going through. This is the first time I have ever seen reporters crying.

Were looking at a potential 1 million refugees.

This is one sad day for the US.

[/ QUOTE ] Keep them all in your prayers.
Old 08-31-2005, 01:49 AM

Default Re: A sad ordeal

I grew up an hour south of New Orleans and lived in the city itself for 6 years. Over the past few days I have seen the streets I used to live on, the businesses I used to work for, the neigborhoods I have friends in and haven't heard from, all underwater.

I've seen plenty of natural disasters on TV. I've felt the same callused feelings of apathy that most of you have to situations occuring far away from my home. Hell, I don't even live in Louisiana anymore. Moved to Dallas 2 years ago..... But I am an emotional wreck seeing what has happened to the city I love.

I've seen several posts stating that people are stupid for living here because of the danger of hurricanes. The entire gulf coast and eastern seaboard is at risk for hurricanes. It is impossible to run from nature.

I was born in south Louisiana. I am proud of where I am from. I love the rich history of New Orleans. The roots I have there are not unlike most people's religions. You were born into them. That's what you stand behind, you never really questioned it.

Please try to see the human tragedy and suffering that is really going on here. Forget all the Southern sterotypes for a minute and realize that what is happening there is happeneing to real people. People that did not ask for this and had no real warning.

No one got angry at the people in the world trade center in New York for working in a building that had been bombed before and was obviously a target for terrorists. Don't be mad at these poor people for what has tragically happened to them.

I think donations and volunteer help are great suggestions. If you can't give money, donate blood. Every little bit helps.

Get mad at politicians for their politics, be mad at hollywood for their spoiled attitudes..... just don't be hateful towards human beings that have lost everything and have no idea how they are going to get back on their feet again.... it just isn't fair.
Old 08-31-2005, 02:04 AM

Default Re: A sad ordeal

I will move back there and be a part of the rebuilding.
Though I grew up and spent the majority of my life in the Chicago burbs and Champaign, IL, New Orleans is a second home to me.
I spent my summers there when 20 and 21 (quite a growing experience, but those stories are for another time.)
I visit twice a year still.
It's a city full of life (poor wording considering the situation). Nothing compares...the people, the food, the music, the energy. Those that live or lived there all feel the same way.
I will be honored to help rebuild that city when I go back. I feel the urge to rebuild that city. I don't care where it sits in relation to sea level, it cannot and will not be lost.
Old 08-31-2005, 02:10 AM

Get this from the Times-Picayune Breaking News page:

Children's Hospital under seige
Tuesday, 11:45 p.m.

Late Tuesday, Gov. Blanco spokeswoman Denise Bottcher described a disturbing scene unfolding in uptown New Orleans, where looters were trying to break into Children's Hospital.

Bottcher said the director of the hospital fears for the safety of the staff and the 100 kids inside the hospital. The director said the hospital is locked, but that the looters were trying to break in and had gathered outside the facility.

The director has sought help from the police, but, due to rising flood waters, police have not been able to respond.

Bottcher said Blanco has been told of the situation and has informed the National Guard. However, Bottcher said, the National Guard has also been unable to respond.

====

I'm finding it hard to control my nausea and some tears welling in my eyes as I read this. Here's hoping this is just bad/incorrect information being passed around in crisis.

If true, a helicopter gunship or two would be an interesting addition to the rescue operation. The innocent need protection from predators.

Some have asked who wouldn't leave NO when told to evacuate. Well -- aside from sick children and hospital workers, it looks like a good number of those who stuck around are predatory scumbags.

Ironically some of these same vermin will find themselves needing hospital care when they contract the diseases that come from wading around in brackish water mixed with sewage spills, oil spills and carcasses floating about.

May God spare the decent who are left alone to fend off thugs with no help from the authorities. It is times like these that owning a gun would be a necessity. I don't own a gun myself, so don't take this as an NRA-rant.
Old 08-31-2005, 02:17 AM

I've seen the same reports of looting and it sickens me. The scumbags seem to pose for the cameras in some shots. We've got emergency personnel risking their lives to rescue people, and some indecent human beings are trying to benefit from the disaster. Sad truth is that if you have to steal to get rich, your wealth will be short lived. The few things these people take will soon run out, and they will be in the same dire positions they started in.
Old 08-31-2005, 02:18 AM

the videos I have seen of the aftermath are amazing in a horrible way.
Old 08-31-2005, 02:22 AM

Conjecture on some other boards is that the pharmacies and hospitals are being raided because many are drug addicts whose supplies/dealers are unavailable.
Old 08-31-2005, 02:24 AM

You know what, for all the shortcommings our country as a whole has, one thing I find solace in, is the fact that so many people are expressing thier love for the city they live in. Most disasters that Ive seen and/or read about that happen in other countries, rarely have the commentary from citizens expressing their love for the area affected, but rather they ask for help, wonder why it happened etc. Its different here, and thats one thing that makes things like this much easier to deal with.
Old 08-31-2005, 02:29 AM

I [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] New Orleans
Old 08-31-2005, 02:43 AM

Default Re: Hurricanes

I am a meteorologist and news media anger me sometimes with their ignorance of the weather. In this case the whole "New Orleans will be devastated...no wait, they lucked out and it missed them...no wait, maybe they will still be devastated" was embarassing.

Hurricane prediction is amazingly accurate compared to just twenty years ago. Hurricanes have strong winds yes, but people die from storm surge and flooding. The power of water had just put on a display for the globe(tsunami) but now we are seeing this power in the US.

When it comes to evacuation we must think about the elderly and sick. Evacuating is such a major problem for some of these people that it is almost impossible.

If you have questions about hurricanes this is likely your best resource national hurricane center.