Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-06-2005, 06:35 PM

Default Re: What do you think about this quote?

[ QUOTE ]
no...look at what she said in its ENTIRE context...and i agree with her

[/ QUOTE ]

What about the context makes you think that she was not saying that you needed to assess their current situation in light of their "underprivileged" lives in pre-Katrina New Orleans?
Old 09-06-2005, 06:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
no...look at what she said in its ENTIRE context...and i agree with her

[/ QUOTE ]

What about the context makes you think that she was not saying that you needed to assess their current situation in light of their "underprivileged" lives in pre-Katrina New Orleans?

[/ QUOTE ]

read back over my 93290239420394 other posts...she was giving hope and sayin that they were being taken care of very very well considering the circumstances
Old 09-06-2005, 06:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
i agree entirely with her statement

[/ QUOTE ]WTF? i dont post that much in OOT but is this a joke?

[/ QUOTE ]

no...its not a joke

either way u wanna take it...its still a correct statement

[/ QUOTE ]

its a correct statement to say that people who had their homes and families destroyed are doing "very well" because theyre sleeping on cots in a giant football stadium with no privacy? are you gonna go join them in the astrodome?

rj

[/ QUOTE ]

yes considering what they have been through i think a majority of them are doing very well and are very fortunate at the help they are recieving

and yes...i leave for NO thursday for the restricted zone to help people psychologically...so ur attempt at making me seem "above" them in a situation that i cant relate to them...is beyond way off...

[/ QUOTE ]

you think that the majority of people who's houses were destroyed and were forced to leave their home city are doing "very well"? then what is there for you to go council people about? i have a feeling once you meet actual people who have actual problems, you might change your mind. "doing very well" and "need serious psychological counciling" dont really seem to go hand and hand in my mind.

rj
Old 09-06-2005, 07:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]

you think that the majority of people who's houses were destroyed and were forced to leave their home city are doing "very well"? then what is there for you to go council people about? i have a feeling once you meet actual people who have actual problems, you might change your mind. "doing very well" and "need serious psychological counciling" dont really seem to go hand and hand in my mind.

rj

[/ QUOTE ]

see...this is why most of u r idiots...u read what u wanna read...i said several times UNDER THE CIRCUMSTANCES most that r getting help there are doing well...im going to NO not TX

and ive gone places to help people in psychological situations like this before...so i think i have a lil better grasp on this than u do...i never claimed there were mentally AMAZINGLY great
Old 09-06-2005, 07:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
read back over my 93290239420394 other posts...she was giving hope and sayin that they were being taken care of very very well considering the circumstances

[/ QUOTE ]

I found five posts, none of which offered much evidence of what you are saying. Her overall message might have been one of hope, etc. I don't know without the transcript. But that doesn't mean that in this sentence she was not implying that the current situation of the evacuees looks good in light of their previously underprivileged lives.
Old 09-06-2005, 07:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I don't read "scary" as meaning "we're afraid of all these poor homeless people sticking around".

[/ QUOTE ]

Me neither. I read it as "we're afraid of all these poor homeless black people sticking around."

[/ QUOTE ]
Again... What the [censored] is with you people sticking racism into everything? Let it go with her being a stupid bitch. There's no need to pile it on with racism where it isn't even an issue.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's slightly ironic to see the phrase "you people" in your post, Patrick.

Look, I'm attempting to parse her statement, as is everybody in this thread. I don't see it as farfetched that a priveleged white Texan would be threatened by a sudden large influx of poor, likely uneducated, black refugees from another city.

I guess you don't see that as a valid possibility. But the thing that I find funny is that I often see a knee jerk reaction when the the race issue is introduced, and there are those whose knee jerks one way and those whose knee jerks another.

Just because people exist that gain political currency from crying wolf, doesn't mean that there are no wolves.
Old 09-06-2005, 07:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

rj

[/ QUOTE ]

see...this is why most of u r idiots...u read what u wanna read...i said several times UNDER THE CIRCUMSTANCES most that r getting help there are doing well...im going to NO not TX

and ive gone places to help people in psychological situations like this before...so i think i have a lil better grasp on this than u do...i never claimed there were mentally AMAZINGLY great

[/ QUOTE ]

dear peachy,

if the original quote was "things are working out well for the circumstances" what youre saying might make sense. but she says,

""So many of the people in the arena here, you know, were underprivileged anyway, so this is working very well for them.""

so if this disaster happened in an upper class community we would feel sorry for their devistating loss, but if it happens to poor people we say "wow, that worked out great, now instead of squalor, they can live in a cot on a baseball field in our arena, how fortunate for them". get where people are annoyed now?

rj
Old 09-06-2005, 07:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I found five posts, none of which offered much evidence of what you are saying. Her overall message might have been one of hope, etc. I don't know without the transcript. But that doesn't mean that in this sentence she was not implying that the current situation of the evacuees looks good in light of their previously underprivileged lives.

[/ QUOTE ]

again..u cant just read THAT sentence and put it in any racial, etc context that u want...
Old 09-06-2005, 07:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
...read the whole thing and look beyond headline context...they are fortunate to be where they are and getting any aid that they are...in most other countries they would all pretty much die...this country needs a serious reality and head check

[/ QUOTE ]

Do you even have a t.v? Have you watched any of the coverage at all in the last four days. "Doing well" is not a term used by any of the reporters that I've been watching. Grateful that they're not dead...well sure. I think a bunch of them are grateful.

Most people would agree that governments are formed in order to help the people, protect rights, preserve justice. That's what government is for, duh. So most countries in this world have some form of government that to some degree help the poor and helpless and keep things from disintegrating into lawlessness. This is true in almost any country. Stop acting like our government is doing a freaking amazing thing by offering charity to these schleppy people for christ' sake. That's its job.

Why do you think that these people should be so freaking thankful to our government and the oh-so-generous offer of an astrodome homeless shelter? Is it because you think the country doesn't owe them a damn thing and they should just shut up and be grateful for the little they are getting "for free"? Is that what your position is? Because I think the whole reason for government is to protect the rights of people, not look down their noses at them.
Old 09-06-2005, 07:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

again..u cant just read THAT sentence and put it in any racial, etc context that u want...

[/ QUOTE ]

correct me if im wrong...but, isnt that exactly what you attempted to do in your previous post? like EXACTLY? why are you allowed to make up a context and no one else is? what a fun exercise. let the conservatives make up facts, and THEN we can debate them.

rj