Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-21-2005, 04:01 AM

Default Re: Which game to play against aliens?

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
wet t-shirt contest

[/ QUOTE ]

sounds good: we put up jessica alba, natilie portma, etc... if they win, we die happy.

[/ QUOTE ]

or, instead of Natalie Portman, we could choose somebody that actually has [censored]

edit: wtf ti.ts is censored? gay
Old 11-21-2005, 04:08 AM

Ping pong.
Old 11-21-2005, 04:13 AM

Who's More Grizzled
Old 11-21-2005, 04:14 AM

American/Interstellar Idol.....because the alien outtakes would be hilarious.
Old 11-21-2005, 07:52 AM

There are four options, all of which have been covered to a certain extent in this thread. This analysis is very good, so if you are concerned with the survival of the human race, you need to read this.

1. Biased games
a) Games where humans are at a direct advantage in the rules, like the "who is the human game". These would probably get us all killed at the moment of rules presentation, unless we made some contract with them as stated by the OP in this thread and they left this loophole.
b) Games where humans are at an advantage because they require frivolous human knowledge and/or emotional discerning, such as the Family Feud. I think that frankly we would lose the first types of games unless something really ingenious was come up with (I think we would have a high chance of losing family feud, because aliens could study word usage patterns and frequencies, as well as lots of other things, and probably play better then humans). Any game with a subjective judge also falls under this catagory, but judgining would have to be extremely clear cut or these game would be probably be rejected like 1(a).
c) Games where humans are at an advantage becuase of our physiology, such as a video game where the interface directly catered to human hands in a complex way, or a twister like game. These would probably get us annihilated on the spot, but not as likely as 1(a). This would only be viable if, as stated in 1(a), there was a contract and this was a loophole.

2. Mental skill games
a) Games that could be solved perfectly with all our resources within a year. I am including games like connect four, tik-tac-toe, trivia games, and a bunch of simpler and more complicated fixed-move games. I am not including games that can be solved but we are not close to, such as chess, lots of RTS videogames, and poker. The most appealing of the games in this catagory would be a game where the person who moves 1st always wins. This would preferably be an extremely complex game created and solved by computers, but still simple enough that a human could memorize all the moves in 8 moths (or whatever time is left after the game is created). This would make defeat impossible in the first scenario (the 0-39, 40-60, 60+ one), but it is relatively unlikely that the aliens could not also solve such a game, so this is possible but probably undesireable in the second scenario (0-50, 51+).
b) Unsolvable (to us) skill games. I think almost all pure skill games are a poor choice, as the aliens probably are vastly superior regarding intelects and can solve games like checkers, which we currently cant. There could be arguements made that poker (through an interface to eliminate reads) or chess (with a rules change to break ties, through another match for example) would be good picks. They are extremely complex and would be nearly impossible to solve all the way. We have many years of practice and theory in the way of a headstart. In the first scenario they are out of the question unless we have good evidence the aliens arent as smart as us. It is up to debate if these are a good scenario 2 pick. Dont underestimate how amazingly good someone like Kasparov is, and even if they could get a computer to beat him which is very likely, it could be hard for one of them to emulate a computer.

3. Games of pure luck
These should never be used in scenario 1 with the option of solvable rotating turn games. They will be the best option for scenario 2 unless we can come up with something that we can win slightly less then half the time or more, as stated above. I think this is the better option against complete unknowns.

4. Physical games
These probably arent a good idea unles they also fall under catagory 1c.

In summary, the option set forth in 2a would be best as default in scenario 1, and a pure luck game would probably be best as default in scenario 2, although if there were a set agreement with loopholes something from 1x could be best, and if the aliens appeared of simliar or only slightly above our intellects something from 2b would be best.
Old 11-21-2005, 07:52 AM

Tag team who can count the highest.

This will at least stall them.

However the correct answer has allready been given (by me). Spunk on the biscuit.

Given that officials from the newly formed ManFat Federation or MFF as you or I know it will be present to test that the baby gravy contains human DNA and no advatage has been gained by gentecticaly enginering streamlined aero dynamic tadpoles (that can mean all the differance in close matches.)What chance do the Aliens have?
Old 11-21-2005, 08:06 AM

Reverse Roshambo.

First one to fall over after being kicked in the nuts wins. We just take a dive. Even if alien takes a dive too, it'll still be 50/50

I claim pwnage of the alien invaders!
Old 11-21-2005, 08:56 AM

This really is impossible to answer without knowing anything about the aliens. They most likely will be more technologically advanced than us since they found us first and have the ability to annihilate us. But I have no idea how fast they run, strong they are, or the extent of their technology and intellect.

If we're just supposed to use our common conception of aliens, then let's arm wrestle those bitches.
Old 11-21-2005, 08:57 AM

The answer is quite easy and I cannot believe it has been overlooked thus far: Battleship, Twister, or Clue. It worked for Bill & Ted against the Grim Reaper

Old 11-21-2005, 09:05 AM

NBA Live 95. They could not live with me.