Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-10-2005, 03:33 PM

Default Flamer!

[ QUOTE ]
What motivates you to play lots of hours of poker? This is mostly aimed at people who have played 2+ years and are now bored of the game.

[/ QUOTE ]

Right now, I'm motivated to get out of this bumpy run I'm having right now and show a profit for this month.

It's kind of funny, 'cause when I'm stuck, I'm motivated to get un-stuck and play a lot of hands (6,000 yesterday). I don't go into a "win at all costs" tilt-mentality, but a "play through this, you weak bastard" mentality.

When I'm winning hand over fist, I relax on how many hands I play, and think about what I want to buy, and what businesses I want to start in a couple of years with all of my poker bling.

This month is putting things in perspective. I have a wife and new baby to provide for, insurance to pay, bills to take care of, and quarterly estimated taxes due on the 15th. So I'm motivated to crank out hands.

In the long-run, I'm looking forward to closing on a house by next July (hopefully finances are in order come April) and moving up to limits where I need to make wise investments with my excess bankroll (real estate etc.) instead of sweating it out on months like these.

Basically, I would like to milk the poker boom for all she's got to the point that if/when the bubble bursts, I have options beyond grinding it out for peanuts.
Old 09-10-2005, 04:12 PM

Default Re: What motivates you?

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
3. I'm afraid our time is running out with games this good/legality.

Is this fear based on anything? I am not asking to be a wise ass, but because I respect what you have to say.

I have a more optimistic view of the future. Mostly based on America opening the gates to online gambling sites.

[/ QUOTE ]

Given the wackiness of Mr. Bush, I just have fears there'll be the day when he goes after Internet gambling. I feel the fear is supported based on other actions within his administration such as the retarded push for "intelligent design" to be taught in classrooms, etc etc (ok I'll stop there since this isn't the politics forum). My fear about online legality is otherwise based on paranoia and a general fearing of the worst attitude that I often take.

As for game quality I do know the games I am playing in are getting consistently tougher. I have no doubt that it'll be a long time before I'm unable to earn $100/hr off online poker, but the days of more than the top few players being able to earn $500-$1000 an hour I think are not going to last much longer than maybe another year. I base this on no reasoning other than the general truth at all limits we can notice through PT and other observational methods games are getting tougher.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is the correct answer.
Old 09-11-2005, 06:12 AM

[ QUOTE ]

As for game quality I do know the games I am playing in are getting consistently tougher. I have no doubt that it'll be a long time before I'm unable to earn $100/hr off online poker, but the days of more than the top few players being able to earn $500-$1000 an hour I think are not going to last much longer than maybe another year. I base this on no reasoning other than the general truth at all limits we can notice through PT and other observational methods games are getting tougher.

[/ QUOTE ]

that's what i thought for a while too, but then lately the NL games seem just as good as ever to me. maybe it's in cycles or kind of random and you just can't see it yet?
Old 09-11-2005, 12:33 PM

revenge