Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > News, Views, and Gossip
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-12-2003, 05:42 PM

Default Re: Inappropriate Remarks at the Poker Table

Please. People get worked up all the time when Allah, etc. are mentioned. It just so happens that Christ is mentioned a lot more in this country.

The reason I find most religious pontification offensive is the notion that if I do not accept that faith I am dammned to eternity in Hell.

Well, that sounds like an open minded philosophy to me. Sign me up!!

So let me get this right, even if you are the most pious monk in the world living a sin free life, if he doesn't accept Jesus Christ as his savior, he is going to Hell??

So when people start preaching about it, it tends to get me on edge. I assume others as well.

I know this true for some other religions as well, I just used the Christain religion as an example, again b/c it is the most common in the US.
Old 11-12-2003, 07:10 PM

Default Re: Easterbrook... not so bad

Yeah thats what I thought.

As for TLGPE, ummmmmm. This is one of a variety of interpretations on Revelations. I read it. It's not bad.

It's not good, but it's not bad.

-AA
Old 11-12-2003, 08:48 PM

If you werent an Athiest you might not think "God Bless You" is pleasant. i. e. I dont think Osama likes that remark.
Old 11-12-2003, 11:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If you werent an Athiest you might not think "God Bless You" is pleasant. i. e. I dont think Osama likes that remark.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm an atheist and it is no more offensive to me than if someone said "Santa Claus bless you" when I sneezed. Being blessed by a cartoon-like character may be amusing but hardly offensive.
Old 11-12-2003, 11:39 PM

"Jesus loves you".

[ QUOTE ]
I think this remark was highly inappropriate.

[/ QUOTE ]

I would think anyone who sits in any 30/60 game would have thick enough skin to not let this bother them.

[ QUOTE ]
I also think that poker and religion mix about as well as oil and water.

[/ QUOTE ]

Along with many other things.....IMO

[img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 11-13-2003, 04:24 AM

i hear what you're saying man. believe me, i do.

but, by the same token, if you don't believe in it at all, then the hell thing shouldn't really bother you, because that's not real, either.

also, by saying "God bless you", or "Jesus loves you" nobody is judging you or condemning you to hell. that's a preconceived stereotype you project on other people's Faith. if, when I say "Jesus Loves You", you assume that i am really asserting your condemnation to Hell, then it is YOU who are misjudging, not me. for i have no power to condemn anybody. and Jesus is not about condemnation, but reconciliation. so, if your misunderstanding of the message of Christ's love offends you, that is solely your own issue to deal with.

of course, i don't expect you to know that Christ's message is reconciliation, not condemnation. unfortunately, the most visible people who wave the banner of Christianity can be the most vicious abusers of the name of Christ. for that, I am sorry, and do not blame you.
Old 11-13-2003, 04:32 AM

Default Re: witnessing at the table?!

yeah will sacs resume if temple rebuilt?
Old 11-13-2003, 04:51 AM

Location: \"Let me make it nearly unanimous -- misplayed on every street.\"

I also think that poker and religion mix about as well as oil and water.

amen
Old 11-13-2003, 10:08 AM

Default Resuming Sacrifices

yes and no.

But it's not so simple, there are a million things that have to happen after the temple is built before you can use it, and even if it were to be built, it would probably be impossible to use for a long time until various tasks are completed.

Short Answer is here

More in-depth Answer
Old 11-15-2003, 12:39 AM

Default Bible exortations

I work as a scientific diver and one of our boats has a pilot who's fairly devout 7th Day Adventist; great guy though. Since I know him well, he's very occasionally brought The Book out on a trip. One day Nancy, our institution's Dive Safety Officer happened to be on the trip and he brought out his bible (I must have looked like a severe hangover case that day or something - that's when he usually mentions such stuff). Anyway, flicking through, I found by chance a quote that said exactly - "divers weights are an abomination."

Still don't know what it means at all, but it totally cracked me up at the time and I told him he'd better not show it to the DSO or she'll have to disband the whole department.

I think at the time he'd been telling me I shouldn't be eating lobster or anything scaleless from the sea.