Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-28-2005, 09:32 PM

Default Re: NFL running backs

if i were to compare his ev to that of the avg starting rb in the league id put him at +5 points. im not saying that he produces ten points more than the next guy im just saying hes worth about that much. i just made a random estimate. if i had lt on my team id say that the min score my team could put up would be his ten.
Old 11-29-2005, 05:03 AM

Compared to the AVERAGE starting RB in the league? 5 points per game is about the maximum "EV" I'd allow, probably closer to 3.5.
Old 11-29-2005, 05:05 AM

[ QUOTE ]
the more carries a back gets his ypc should get closer and closer to his true ypc right?

[/ QUOTE ]

Absolutely not. This isn't a vacuum. The more carries a back gets the worse his knees get and his ypc goes wonky. Plus, it increases the chance of injury.

My point was this: LT was below average last year. SD still had an amazing offense. LT is not the one crucial piece of these offense - nobody is. Most important? Granted. Much more important than Antonio or Brees? No.
Old 11-29-2005, 09:16 AM

In order of importance it goes

1. LT
2. Gates
3. Brees

I think 1 and 2 are a hell of alot closer than 2 and 3.
Old 11-29-2005, 09:49 AM

okay so since its not a vacuum cant you give lt a little credit for his attendance to the starting roster AND keeping a pretty nice YPC? according to you it should be much tougher to keep your ypc up as your carries increase.

your points-
agree LT produced below HIS average especially after his 2003 season. he did have an injury that he still managed to play through.
its hard to say how much more important lt is compared to brees and gates now since i think that LT made them better with his production. i think the only way we find out is if lt goes out for a whole season. again i agree that he is the most important. but im kind of tempted to put a couple of other guys like hardwick, williams, and foley ahead of brees.
Old 11-29-2005, 10:20 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Compared to the AVERAGE starting RB in the league? 5 points per game is about the maximum "EV" I'd allow, probably closer to 3.5.

[/ QUOTE ]

Its pretty hard to define 'avg" based on stats due to a teams style of offense and how good the team is in general, but a quick look at this years stats so far suggests that guys like brian westbrook, chris brown, and willis mcgahee are having "average" years. You really think LT accounts for 3.5 extra points in EV over these guys?
Old 11-29-2005, 11:43 AM

like i said twice before its a random guess. we could punch out average points per game for LT and then the league avg for starting running backs but i dont feel like it. be my guest if you want.
Old 11-29-2005, 11:45 AM

[ QUOTE ]
In order of importance it goes

1. LT
2. Gates
3. Brees

I think 1 and 2 are a hell of alot closer than 2 and 3.

[/ QUOTE ]

the chargers can win without gates, but can they win with a 2nd year unproven backup QB?
Old 11-29-2005, 11:47 AM

[ QUOTE ]
So even if it is a gamble, its well worth it if it means some of the time you are going to end up with an elite QB because they are so hard to come by.

[/ QUOTE ]
As are elite running backs. As far as your statement about Ray Lewis and Urlacher, are you aware that the Cleveland Browns' Andra Davis had comparable numbers to them last year and the Browns' defense still sucked?
Old 11-29-2005, 12:19 PM

I just read this thread. Jack of Arcades is TOTALLY wrong when it comes to goal line efficiency when it comes to RB's. A TON of LT's and Alexander's value comes from their ability to find their way into the endzone in goal line situations.

Also, what's with the condescending tone of your posts in this thread? You're no football expert, stop talking down to people.