Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-04-2005, 03:57 PM

Default Re: What Tiffany Willaimson did right

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Personally, I think the reason why some get annoyed so much at newer players, is because perhaps, they remind them of THEMSELVES when THEY first started to play poker.

[/ QUOTE ]

Personally, I think you are very, very wrong. People that suck and get lucky are frustrating to those that don't suck and don't get lucky. Personally, I think most on this site would agree with that.

Samuel Clemens put it very well:

It is strange the way the ignorant and inexperienced so often and so undeservedly succeed when the informed and the experienced fail.
- Mark Twain in Eruption

I heard an expression describing the phenomenon from a friend, "ignorance on fire."

I have zero problem with people playing like I used to play. It was part of my learning curve and I am neither bothered nor ashamed of it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hehe ... I guess I've been thinking about this a LOT of late, since I've been experiencing myself, a lot of bad beats of late (I swear, my PP A's have been cursed of late). Hence I have been wondering if Karma isn't coming into play here somehow.

That is, I'm getting Karma payback for all the bad beats *I* delivered when I didn't know any better when I first started playing.

Still, I do find it quite interesting how people really DO tend to forget what it was like when THEY were first learning how to play.

Many players seem to have the attitude, that THEY are perfect players (sorry guys, but this seems especially true of the male players), who came out of their mothers wombs knowing how to play PERFECT poker, and just can't seem to understand, why EVERYONE doesn't play the way THEY do.
Old 11-04-2005, 04:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
doth thee forget dan druff?

[/ QUOTE ]

"Debbie in Ohio" posts on RGP

That should be good enough for you.
Old 11-04-2005, 04:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Hehe ... I guess I've been thinking about this a LOT of late, since I've been experiencing myself, a lot of bad beats of late (I swear, my PP A's have been cursed of late). Hence I have been wondering if Karma isn't coming into play here somehow.

That is, I'm getting Karma payback for all the bad beats *I* delivered when I didn't know any better when I first started playing.

Still, I do find it quite interesting how people really DO tend to forget what it was like when THEY were first learning how to play.

Many players seem to have the attitude, that THEY are perfect players (sorry guys, but this seems especially true of the male players), who came out of their mothers wombs knowing how to play PERFECT poker, and just can't seem to understand, why EVERYONE doesn't play the way THEY do.

[/ QUOTE ]

Karma is a nice idea, but you don't need it to conceptualize which side of bad beats you're on. It sounds like you're the one making better decisions now so you're the one more likely to receiveth rather than giveth bad beats.

I agree with you that many players forget what it was like when they were learning and act like they have a perfect handle on how to play. Playing against players like that can be very profitable because they'll sometimes tell you how they play for free.
Old 11-04-2005, 05:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]

As for the time I devoted to playing poker before the WSOP took place, I'll just say that in our attempt to save the (corporate) world from itself, we lawyers work 12-14 hour days on the regular [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img].

Best,
Tiffany

[/ QUOTE ]

There are plenty of people who work 12 hour days, as well as plenty of lawyers on this very board. You are not a unique case. In fact, many lawyers would be the beneficiary of being financially able to enter a $10K event. Many of us work 12 hour days and still cannot afford this luxury.

I'm not implying that you shelled out $10K for this because if I'm not mistaken you won your seat on some satellite, however, I'm just saying that with all due respect, nobody cares that you work a lot and cannot "study up on the game and practice your craft."

The point is, you are here now and obviously willing to learn the game so forget all obstructions of your job and talk poker. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 11-04-2005, 05:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

As for the time I devoted to playing poker before the WSOP took place, I'll just say that in our attempt to save the (corporate) world from itself, we lawyers work 12-14 hour days on the regular [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img].

Best,
Tiffany

[/ QUOTE ]

There are plenty of people who work 12 hour days, as well as plenty of lawyers on this very board. You are not a unique case. In fact, many lawyers would be the beneficiary of being financially able to enter a $10K event. Many of us work 12 hour days and still cannot afford this luxury.

I'm not implying that you shelled out $10K for this because if I'm not mistaken you won your seat on some satellite, however, I'm just saying that with all due respect, nobody cares that you work a lot and cannot "study up on the game and practice your craft."

The point is, you are here now and obviously willing to learn the game so forget all obstructions of your job and talk poker. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

K's Deal,

Are you being serious? [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] I honestly can't tell. But, just in case you are, I was responding to someone else's post (see below) regarding how many hours I was able to spend playing/learning poker before the WSOP. But I like your advice and I will indeed try to "forget all obstructions of my job and talk [and play] poker" this weekend.

Best,
Tiffany

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I feel I have to ask since this keeps being brought up. Easy laydowns for whom, someone playing less than a year or an experienced player?

[/ QUOTE ]

One year is a decent enough time to figure out that this is an easy laydown. Unless the player is unobservant during this year, they should have figured out that KJ is a hand to fold when facing a large raise/reraise.

By playing one year, I would say, at least 20 outings of at least several hours each.

[/ QUOTE ]

I guess at that time it also depends how successful it was with that hand as well (considering she said it had been a 'lucky hand' for her before). I also know that when it's suited, and you're a newer player to poker, laying down two suited face cards, can be a challenge.

Also, you mentioned 20 outings of several hours each. We really don't know how many total hours in that one calendar year that she's played. She could have far less (hours of) experience than that for all we know.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 11-04-2005, 05:27 PM

I haven't read all the responses so maybe someone has already said this. What I thought she did right was that she was a "presence" at the table. Sure she got under all the other players skin taking a long time with all her decisions, but I think this worked to her advantage. And she didn't allow herself to be intimated.

Even though she made some rookie mistakes in the cards she played, I was overall impressed with her performance.
Old 11-04-2005, 06:37 PM

Location: Pokah Is Nice, I Love Play Pokah (Chau Giang quote) Location: Massachusetts

Tiff, you certainly were not an outright idiot like that fat bowler kid, who ran around screaming everytime he sucked out on the river.

And I don't believe you're as bad as my J [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 2 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] friend/fish.

But, your A/7 hand was terrible in my view. The A/J was the least questionable, but still a rookie mistake. And the K/J sooted is another trap hand.

It was really the combination of the time you took grueling over the K/J sooted hand, and the move with the A/7 hand that I found "distasteful". Then again, so is watching all the donkiness on Celebrity Poker Showdown.

Regardless, you've got 400K more than I do, so I'll shut up and go back to multi-tabling the Omaha Hi/Lo cash games. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 11-04-2005, 06:47 PM

Yeah I understand. No problem. [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]
Old 11-04-2005, 07:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
...Maybe I was thinking about the guy who showed me 6-4 offsuit, in the face of my raise, his re-raise, my fold. Oh well. ....

Best,
Tiffany

[/ QUOTE ]

Was his name Arlo?
Old 11-04-2005, 07:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
But, your A/7 hand was terrible in my view.

[/ QUOTE ]

What were the stacks/blinds at that point between her A7o and the QQ guy? If they were deep enough I don't think the play was that bad as he would need a big hand to call...