Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-02-2005, 05:29 PM

Default Re: Wrestling Angles that worked

[ QUOTE ]
For some reason I keep getting drawn back to this thread. I maybe watched wrestling somewhat for a year or so on and off. One night when I was getting all the cable channels (and PPV) for free for some reason there was a PPV (WCW I think) on.

Hulk Hogan was supposed to be fighting Jeff Jerret (sp?) for the title (this was six months or a year after Owen Heart died, and Jeff bailed to the WCW). At any rate, Jeff lays down (litterally) and gives up the title, Hulk gives a speach about how pathetic the WCW is now, and leaves.

The owner of the WCW (Russo? I never really wathced WCW and I had stopped watching wrestling all together by this time) comes out and goes on a tirade about Hulk Hogan then has an impromptu match between Jeff and Booker T. I think he (Russo) knew he was going to do that, and maybe Jeff Jerret did, but I don't think anyone else did. It looked genuinely spontaneous, and if Booker T knew it was coming and that he was going to win, he is one hell of a good actor. There were tears of joy in his eyes after the match, which IIRC didn't have either wrestler pulling an heel cheep shots.

I thought that was a pretty good angle, and I think the reason it worked so well was that most of what was going on was not really acting.

[/ QUOTE ]

Nope that wasn't an angle but simply the result of the WCW back stage politics AKA the biggest joke in wrestling at the time.

Russo was basically the writer for WCW, and he wrote to have Hogan lose the jarret. But Hogan had a creative control clause in his contract and basically said no I'm not going to lose. Hogan was really holding WCW back in during this time. So Russo had Jarret just lay down for Hogan, basically making it clear what was going on and showing Hogan for the ass that he was. Russo then created another World Championship and had Jarret and Booker T wrestle for it. It was a suprise to everyone that Booker T was picked and that he won. He was known as a great worker but had never really been a maineventer at all.
Old 11-02-2005, 08:03 PM

One angle which was awesome was the Terry Funk/Ric Flair angle in 1989. Flair had just beaten Ricky Steamboat with Terry Funk as a "celebrity judge." Funk had been out of wrestling for a while. After Flair gets the belt, Funk comes in and asks for a title shot. Flair refuses and disrespects Funk, so Funk goes nuts on him and piledrives him onto the judge's table on the outside of the ring, and it was one of those old-school tables that didn't break. Flair was out with a 'broken neck' for a while. Once he came back, Flair and Funk had a couple awesome matches resulting in an "I Quit" match that Flair won.
Old 11-02-2005, 08:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Also, the Survivor Series tournament where The Rock became the Corporate Champion was a booking masterpiece that set in motion the greatest 6 month run of television that I can recall.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree 100%.

How is Bret Hart's name not mentioned in this thread? He was by far my favorite wrestler. It was sad to see him get screwed over by Vinny Mac.
Old 11-02-2005, 08:11 PM

Because that wasn't a work and as such doesn't count as an angle?
Old 11-02-2005, 08:13 PM

When he left the WWF after getting the Sharpshooter put on him was the point when I stopped watching WWF. Brett Hart was in my top 3 favorite wrestlers.
Old 11-02-2005, 08:20 PM

The best angle ever was the storyline in which Undertaker and Kane were brothers. They played with matches as kids and the mortuary that they lived in burned down (Undertaker's fault). Undertaker thought his entire family had died in the fire and he was psychologically traumatized. Paul Bearer adopts Undertaker as his son.

But little did Undertaker know that Bearer knew that Kane survived and lived elsewhere and that he was training him to kill Undertaker at a later time for the sake of revenge. So getting back to the present (1997), Paul Bearer breaks ties with Undertaker and presents to him his long lost brother Kane.....
Old 11-02-2005, 08:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The best angle ever was the storyline in which Undertaker and Kane were brothers. They played with matches as kids and the mortuary that they lived in burned down (Undertaker's fault). Undertaker thought his entire family had died in the fire and he was psychologically traumatized. Paul Bearer adopts Undertaker as his son.

But little did Undertaker know that Bearer knew that Kane survived and lived elsewhere and that he was training him to kill Undertaker at a later time for the sake of revenge. So getting back to the present (1997), Paul Bearer breaks ties with Undertaker and presents to him his long lost brother Kane.....

[/ QUOTE ]

As [censored] mentioned earlier. People who liked [censored] like this are basically responsible for A- wrestling being horrible now B- the fact that HHH [censored] a "corpse" on TV.
Old 11-02-2005, 08:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
B- the fact that HHH [censored] a "corpse" on TV.

[/ QUOTE ]

WTF triple H banged a corpse on TV? Man, I must have been away from watching wrestling for a while if stuff like this is happening

this sounds brutally funny though, can somebody give a brief idea of how this actually happened? And did JR get to call the action?
Old 11-02-2005, 10:34 PM

Location: Hurricanes, animal corpses and your potential new tattoo have a lot in common. Think about it.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

WTF triple H banged a corpse on TV? Man, I must have been away from watching wrestling for a while if stuff like this is happening

this sounds brutally funny though, can somebody give a brief idea of how this actually happened? And did JR get to call the action?

[/ QUOTE ]
It was far from funny. It was the biggest WTF moment I've ever witnessed.
What is funny to me is that Wikipedia has a summary of it. link
Old 11-02-2005, 11:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
It was far from funny. It was the biggest WTF moment I've ever witnessed.
What is funny to me is that Wikipedia has a summary of it. link

[/ QUOTE ]

www.

Wrestlecrap.com is such an awesome site.

Here's what boggles my mind about so much of the crap. take the jarret v. sting match. All they have to do is announce this match and it sells itself. You have the Franchise of WCW vs. "The Chosen One" who is trying to make his mark on WCW. You give them a couple of interviews each and then put them in the ring and let them do what they do. Everyone will be happy. But no instead we get a balding sting. what a joke. Halloween Stingers