Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-12-2005, 09:18 PM

Default Re: The official \"I hate Alex Rodriguez\" thread

The biggest thing I've seen is that with RISP, as SLG goes up, BA w/RISP goes down on average. Nothing about "good pitchers vs bad pitchers" and I doubt that matters much, but I'm sure certain hitters just can't touch certain pitchers due to the matchup.
Old 10-12-2005, 09:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The biggest thing I've seen is that with RISP, as SLG goes up, BA w/RISP goes down on average. Nothing about "good pitchers vs bad pitchers" and I doubt that matters much, but I'm sure certain hitters just can't touch certain pitchers due to the matchup.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorry, I don't think I made it clear - I wasn't talking about 'clutch' or RISP so much as the graph of OPS against good pitching vs. bad - if we put the x axis as ERA of opposing pitchers and the Y as OPS of a power hitter, would the slope of such a line be 1 or greater than 1? I suppose there's not enough data to make such a graph meaningful - but I'd suspect that better hitters would have a greater slope on such a line because of the nature of SLG%.
Old 10-12-2005, 09:54 PM

Alex Rodriguez is now a well-above-average 3B. Jeter, OTOH, is an average SS - he's been an SS his whole career and defense has always been a problem for him. You want to move him to 3B where he'd be a total liability?

An 'average' SS should have NO problem moving to 3b. Also we are talking about when A-rod joined the team. Nobodt talks about the concession HE made when he went to 3B to keep DJ's ego intact.

Moving him to SS right NOW would instantly make the NYY a better team.

So you'd rather have a liability at third and an above average SS, or an average SS or well above average 3B?

Well, Jeter wouldnt be a liability at 3B. He would probablty be better, since his shortcomings would be hidden better. SS >>>>>>3B.

So while you are all whining about Arod (which baffles me) realize that EVERY single game the NYY are making a decision to decrease the teams overall effiency to appease JETER.

2: Did you see Alex Rodriguez's at bats in this series? It's time to stop looking at statistics and actually watch - at no point did he look comfortable at the plate.

who did look comfortable? Really, i want to compare the best players in MLB's comfort level to another players so I can see what you are saying. See here is the thing, his 'comfort' at the plate and every other players is translated to a statistic. I would rather have Arod at the plate, with a toothpick in his eyeball over david eckstein getting a blow job by jessica alba.
Old 10-12-2005, 09:58 PM

by the way, i DESPISE arod.
Old 10-12-2005, 10:09 PM

yeah im still uneasy about arod switching to 3rd. its just not optimal. it has worked out as well as anyone could hoped since he's playing it great (really, really well if youve watched all the games) but jeter is nowhere near the SS arod is. i dunno. i do acknowledge the change arod made, not an easy thing to do for several reasons.

no one is whining about matsui's crap playoffs. he did not show up at all. im not angry at either of them, im disappointed as all hell, but it was 5 games. they both brought it bigtime down the stretch and without either of them theres no way NYY wins the division. and im not going to trash them over 5 games. this idea that some people are clutch and can just turn it on during 3-4 games is asinine. arod hits 320, do the math. 2/3 times he fails.
Old 10-12-2005, 10:18 PM

Right, just like Alex Rodriguez had 'no problem' moving to third base last season. I really have to wonder sometimes.

As for comfort, it isn't translated into a statistic - that's yet another example of ceteris paribus gone wrong - waving your hand and explaining away absolutely anything that's not immediately quantifiable. Humor is also a good attempt to distract when your argument isn't exactly solid.

I understand that the statistical dogma is attempting to change decades of baseball thinking, much of which is foolish - some managers and GMs are the kind of people who would think pocket aces always lose for them. What I don't understand is the need to dismiss intangibles or anything not immediately quantifiable as unimportant - that just appears reactionary. To me the real revolution will come when general managers are capable of combining both of these aspects - just because things like team chemistry and 'clutch' are often blown well out of proportion by the media doesn't mean they don't exist. And that's part of why you don't move Jeter to third base - to show that team loyalty and leadership actually mean something.
Old 10-12-2005, 10:33 PM

but it was 5 games. but it was 5 games. <font color="brown"> but it was 5 games. </font> <font color="blue">but it was 5 games. </font> <font color="purple">but it was 5 games. </font> <font color="yellow">but it was 5 games. </font> <font color="green">but it was 5 games. </font> but it was 5 games. <font color="pink"> but it was 5 games. </font>

This is the key. I hate to busrt peoples bubbles, but as much as we would like to think there is some huge difference between the regular season and the playoffs in baseball, there really isnt. It is NOT football, boxing or hockey, where yo can jack yourself up to a point where adreneline takes over. Its just not that type of game.

As a matter of fact, better hitters should be expected to underperform thier career regular season levels. They are facing better pitchers/shorter bullpens.
Old 10-12-2005, 10:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Rodriguez had two or three enormous games this season which really inflate his numbers

[/ QUOTE ]

I guess I missed ARod's 15 homer, 25 RBI game.
Old 10-12-2005, 10:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Rodriguez had two or three enormous games this season which really inflate his numbers

[/ QUOTE ]

I guess I missed ARod's 15 homer, 25 RBI game.

[/ QUOTE ]

well there was that 3 HR 10 RBI game...

against bartolo colon, 21 game winner. a performance which locked up a W against the angels. so even if you are using that logic (which is BS) that game doesnt apply.
Old 10-12-2005, 10:44 PM

Right, just like Alex Rodriguez had 'no problem' moving to third base last season. I really have to wonder sometimes.

He should have had a problem. How would you feel if somobody less qualified than you was doing your job? [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

As for comfort, it isn't translated into a statistic - that's yet another example of ceteris paribus gone wrong - waving your hand and explaining away absolutely anything that's not immediately quantifiable. Humor is also a good attempt to distract when your argument isn't exactly solid.

?