Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-06-2005, 01:25 AM

Default Re: ***The OFFICIAL Yanks @ Angels ALDS***

[ QUOTE ]
Relax. Only a ballgame. The Yankees simply didn't do enough things well tonight to win. Bad hitting and bad fielding is a bad combination.

I think the games the Yankees and Red Sox played today showed why I said I'd be surprised if either team made the World Series. Still might happen, but I think both teams' weaknesses are magnified, and their strengths diminished, against a quality team with good pitching.

[/ QUOTE ]

i agree with everything you said. even if it wasnt right off the bat [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

theyre at home with their ace going and then chacon. im optimistic.

i also think giving wang an error on that play is pretty harsh.
Old 10-06-2005, 01:34 AM

Default Game 2 Thoughts

The Angels clearly played better baseball tonight. Two big two-out clutch hits; several excellent fielding plays, including at least two by Figgins at 3rd base, which surprised me; and good pitching with men on base. Figgins and Erstad don't make good plays on Matsui's ball in the 5th, the Yankees go up 3-0 and probably win the game.

Why do guys insist on sliding into first base? It slows them down.

Looks like Torre is going to use Leiter in tough situations throughout the series. Don't know if I like that, except maybe against Anderson. I'd rather see Small in there in a pinch.

Today's games showed, I think, why Boston and New York are longshots to make the World Series. Their greatest strength--their lineups--is counteracted by good pitching and they're both weak in the field, especially at second base and with their left and center field throwing arms. And Francona and Torre will tend to stay with their starters a bit longer because their middle relief is shaky.

Anyway, I like the Yankees' chances with Johnson and Chacon going the next two games. I think it'll either be the Yankees in 4 or the Angels in 5. I don't think Mussina can pitch two good ones in a row with the stuff he currently has.
Old 10-06-2005, 01:36 AM

Yeah, I was suprised they scored it an error since they'd prefer to give the home team guy a hit, one would think. But it was part and parcel of the entire Yankee effort, just not quite good enough to get the job done.

Two tough games, just seven runs scored by each team. We've done a good job at keeping Figgins off base, but they also pitched Jeter extremely well tonight (although the called strike three was nowhere close to a strike, IMHO).
Old 10-06-2005, 01:48 AM

I thought the strike zone was plain bad and inconsistent all night. There were some pitches from Angels pitchers that were called for balls which were on the outside corner, and then some phantom strikes.

Ahhh... playoff baseball. I think I'm getting an ulcer. I wouldn't have it any other way though. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 10-06-2005, 02:06 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] helps only when the other team makes as many errors as they score runs.

[/ QUOTE ]

The thing is, freaky [censored] like that usually happens *for* the Yankees. The Angels are the only team where it happens against the Yankees.
Old 10-06-2005, 02:12 AM

Yeah, seems like the Angels have had the Yankees' number for some time now, back to the days when the Yankees couldn't hit Chuck Finley to save their collective lives.

Still, I much prefer Johnson and Chacon to Byrd and Washburn. Yankees could win it in four; acutally, they'd better, because I don't like Mussina's chances against Colon again.
Old 10-06-2005, 02:15 AM

There are a bunch of stats on how the Yankees have done poorly against the Angels, I think the Angels have the best record against them for the last several years.
Old 10-06-2005, 09:17 AM

Default Re: Game 2 Thoughts

[ QUOTE ]
Today's games showed, I think, why Boston and New York are longshots to make the World Series. Their greatest strength--their lineups--is counteracted by good pitching and they're both weak in the field, especially at second base and with their left and center field throwing arms. And Francona and Torre will tend to stay with their starters a bit longer because their middle relief is shaky

[/ QUOTE ]

It's refreshing to see someone on these boards actually understands baseball. Bos/NYY are totally one dimensional teams based solely on offense. And not even situational offense but thump thump thump. Neither team plays fundamental baseball particularly well.

LA and Chicago seem to be real baseball teams that do all of the small things needed to win. They are complete teams. Neither has the superstar ridden lineups of Bos/NY but they can both pitch (starting and releiving), play sound defense, run the bases and get the most out of situations offensively. The ESPN crowd likes to slobber over Arod and Papi and the like. And it's true that Bos/NY have the best individual players but they don't have the best baseball teams.
Old 10-06-2005, 10:00 AM

[ QUOTE ]

It's refreshing to see someone on these boards actually understands baseball. Bos/NYY are totally one dimensional teams based solely on offense. And not even situational offense but thump thump thump. Neither team plays fundamental baseball particularly well.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think a lot of people just get close to hysterical about their favorite team and lose a bit of common sense.

But seriously, the Yankees and Boston have no chance. They have great lineups... but what can you do, good pitching beats good hitting...
Old 10-06-2005, 10:11 AM

[ QUOTE ]
but what can you do, good pitching beats good hitting...

[/ QUOTE ]

except when it doesn't...

lol, quoting some other moron in the stros/sox WS thread.