Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-07-2005, 05:55 PM

Default Re: I almost got run off the road today...

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Yes, but the idea is that two lanes of traffic go through the intersection and merge into one afterwards in order to get as many cars through the intersection as possible in the given time. That's why the lane merges after the intersection and not before. If they only wanted one lane of traffic going through the intersection, then the lane would have merged before the intersection.

[/ QUOTE ]

A agree that that is what the lane is supposed to do. Unfortunately it is a very stupid idea because it doesn't work. Two lanes of traffic go through the intersection but then get bogged down at the merge. Instant traffic jam. 1 single lane would run smoother as you wouldn't have everyone trying to merge or slowing down to let others merge.

Only good reason I have seen to have a merge lane like this is if there is a turn in to a shopping center or something right after the intersection. Of course people still abuse it anyway so it ends up not working either.

To me its simple. If you know its a merge lane and you can see other cars waiting to go through the intersection in the through lane then wait your turn. Be considerate to other drivers. The couple minutes you gain from doing this isn't worth the consequences (as the original poster found out).

[/ QUOTE ]
So you agree that the problem isn't the OP, it was the jackass who wouldn't let him in? Then, you propose that because of this jackass, that we should all have to wait single-file? This is just stupid. Get the cars through the intersection and there's plenty of time to merge the lanes together afterward.
Old 09-07-2005, 05:55 PM

Maybe next time we'll be lucky enough that you do go off the road. Quit driving like a dick.
Old 09-07-2005, 05:59 PM

If your not willing to back your stupidity up by dragging him out of his Explorer and beating his ass, then wait in line. Now go and castrate yourself so future generations don't have to deal with your punk off-spring.
Old 09-07-2005, 06:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If your not willing to back your stupidity up by dragging him out of his Explorer and beating his ass, then wait in line. Now go and castrate yourself so future generations don't have to deal with your punk off-spring.

[/ QUOTE ]

What's great is that I'm not the type of person that takes offense to stupid posts like this. You think you're telling me off, and I actually laughed. You're welcome to go read the rest of the thread before you comment if you'd like, but take your unnecessary attitude elsewhere.
Old 09-07-2005, 06:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Maybe next time we'll be lucky enough that you do go off the road. Quit driving like a dick.

[/ QUOTE ]

Right...and the explorer that floored it to get next to me just so he could pace me was being, what? Responsible?
Old 09-07-2005, 06:09 PM

</font><blockquote><font class="small">En réponse à:</font><hr />

[/ QUOTE ]

Right...and the explorer that floored it to get next to me just so he could pace me was being, what? Responsible?

[/ QUOTE ]

[censored] what he was doing, it's his lane. It's your job to get over as safely as possible. Apparently you weren't able to turn down the "I'm such a badass, I must go faster" part of your brain long enough to realize this and get over without risking harm to yourself and others.

Oh and don't try to come off sounding like the bigger man.

I did get him back though. As it turns out, we were both making a right turn onto another highway. We catch the green light onto the highway, and he jams into the corner, brakes reeeeal hard, and then crawls out of it. I downshift, trailbrake, rotate the back end out, and pass him on the left with about a 10-15mph overtake. He proceeds to flip me off and point at himself again(?). I give him the "finger twirl" sign in my rear window, and I go about my business as usual. Bwahaha.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, you're a model [censored] citizen. I only hope that it's a one car accident next time. It would be a shame if someone else had to suffer for your douchebaggery.
Old 09-07-2005, 06:15 PM

So what's your play?
Old 09-07-2005, 06:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Replies that clearly didn't read any of a 6-page thread make me laugh...

[ QUOTE ]
[censored] what he was doing, it's his lane.

[/ QUOTE ]
...as do those that reflect zero comprehension of what actually was read.
Old 09-07-2005, 06:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Get the cars through the intersection and there's plenty of time to merge the lanes together afterward.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is where we don't agree. Everyone knows that 2 lanes merging into 1 is going to create a jam. 40 cars in 2 lanes don't fit in 1 lane made for 20 cars. Other people realise this. Thats why they are waiting in the left lane instead of jamming everything up trying to use the merge lane. If everyone would wait in the through lane the whole flow would be smoother as there would be no merging vehicles and people forced to slow to let the merging vehicles in. You know as well as I do that 1 car slowing in the front of the line cause a chain reaction behind them that progressively gets worse until the people farther back are forced to actually stop; all because 1 guy decided he wanted to cut in front of the waiting drivers.

Was the guy in the Explorer being a jerk? Maybe. Maybe he had seen it happen so many times he got tired of letting other line jumpers in or being forced to slow beacuse they just moved over without proper room. Either way, he had the right of way. The poster was responsible for merging safely.
Old 09-07-2005, 06:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
What you did is on my shortlist of biggest pet peeves. There was a line of people waiting, you decided you were too good for the line. What if everyone did what you did at every light? There would be enormous gains in efficiency.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thank you for being the first non-idiot to visit this thread. People like Los Feliz Slim have absolutely no clue how to drive efficiently.

[/ QUOTE ]

Great. If the US was full of "non-idiots" we could all improve driving efficiency. But since we're not, this isn't how it works.