Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-31-2005, 10:16 PM

Default Re: What should happen to the New Orleans looters?

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Another good question. I have a feeling that if I answer this question, you'll somehow catch me contradicting myself

[/ QUOTE ]

nope not at all. I don't play stupid games like that.

[/ QUOTE ]

I did't mean for it to be an insult. It was a very good question. I just felt as though I was likely to contradict myself in trying to answer it.
Old 08-31-2005, 10:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
it really pisses me off how many god damned pussies there are.

Bottom line if I were given the choice between killing you are letting you steal my property. Your mother is digging a hole everytime and I really don't give a [censored] what you think about it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh Please!

Spare us the macho BS...

The majority of these people are robbing from well-insured stores who already have written-off the store and the merchandise, and the looters know this and so do the police.

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh I forgot about the magical insurance agencies who are able to conjur up money without any sort of cost to anyone what so ever making any type of theft excusable as long it was "insured".

It is a good thing the looters took the time to consider which places were insured and which weren't before deciding to make a bad situation worse.
Old 08-31-2005, 10:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
The majority of these people are robbing from well-insured stores who already have written-off the store and the merchandise, and the looters know this and so do the police.

[/ QUOTE ]

First, this is not true. As time goes on, you will find that most people don't have flood insurance. These are real losses.

Second, are you saying it's OK to steal from insurance companies? If they did have insurance, the contents are now the property of the insurer -- they have salvage rights.

[/ QUOTE ]

You telling me Walmart doeesn't have flood insurance in New Orleans? And even if they didn't, no one is weeping for them.

As I said, the non-essential looting is wrong. But your 'approach' is ridiculous given the circumstances.

Frank
Old 08-31-2005, 10:30 PM

Default Re: Shoot Them........

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Being "fine" with something and not thinking the appropriate remedy is murder are two different things.

[/ QUOTE ]

Murder, by definition, is unjustifiable homicide. This would not be unjustifiable under Louisiana law.

[/ QUOTE ]

The law was not written for these circumstances.
Also, just because something may be legal doesn't make it right or moral. I say may because I highly doubt whatever law you are quoting is applicable to what has been talked about in this thread.

No, let's not start murdering people for taking material things while they are in a crisis. In fact, let's have our law enforcement murdering as few people as possible. What a concept!

Are you people so detached from humanity that you would gun down people for taking shoes? That is very scary. Hopefully you are just saying all this for shock value. You won't admit it if that is your real motive, but I'll hold out hope that you aren't really so inhuman and behind the modern age.
Old 08-31-2005, 10:37 PM

I don't have a problem shooting looters in order to quickly bring a stituation under control and prevent widespread damage.

However, the case of New Orleans is a little different. Shooting looters isn't really going to help normalize things and the damage caused by looters is quite minimal in the larger scope of things.

Stu
Old 08-31-2005, 10:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Being "fine" with something and not thinking the appropriate remedy is murder are two different things.

[/ QUOTE ]

Murder, by definition, is unjustifiable homicide. This would not be unjustifiable under Louisiana law.

[/ QUOTE ]

The law was not written for these circumstances.
Also, just because something may be legal doesn't make it right or moral. I say may because I highly doubt whatever law you are quoting is applicable to what has been talked about in this thread.

No, let's not start murdering people for taking material things while they are in a crisis. In fact, let's have our law enforcement murdering as few people as possible. What a concept!

Are you people so detached from humanity that you would gun down people for taking shoes? That is very scary. Hopefully you are just saying all this for shock value. You won't admit it if that is your real motive, but I'll hold out hope that you aren't really so inhuman and behind the modern age.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not at all I really am (as you would see it) that [censored] up.
Old 08-31-2005, 10:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Defending yourself and your own property is different than government officials gunning people down for looting other people's property. I'm pretty sure you are a smart enough guy to figure that much out. What some people are proposing isn't murder excused by self-defense, it's just murder to punish those who steal.

If thinking our law enforcement shouldn't start gunning people down for stealing in this situation is "being a pussy," then I fail to see the need for a constitution or actual laws. Just let them make it up as they go!

It should also be mentioned that the police officers don't want to do what some of you are suggesting, because even they realize what a bad idea it would be to start shooting people just for looting.
Old 08-31-2005, 10:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Defending yourself and your own property is different than government officials gunning people down for looting other people's property. I'm pretty sure you are a smart enough guy to figure that much out. What some people are proposing isn't murder excused by self-defense, it's just murder to punish those who steal.

If thinking our law enforcement shouldn't start gunning people down for stealing in this situation is "being a pussy," then I fail to see the need for a constitution or actual laws. Just let them make it up as they go!

It should also be mentioned that the police officers don't want to do what some of you are suggesting, because even they realize what a bad idea it would be to start shooting people just for looting.

[/ QUOTE ]

I was mostly responding to the notion that I as a citizen should not use lethal force to defend my own property.

I do think at some point shooting looters is necessary but this has nothing to do with the actual property being taken.
Old 08-31-2005, 10:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Not at all I really am (as you would see it) that [censored] up.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you think killing people for taking shoes is okay, you are inhuman. You can debate it if you want, but you're more wrong than you are capable of understanding.

List +1
Old 08-31-2005, 11:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You telling me Walmart doesn't have flood insurance in New Orleans? And even if they didn't, no one is weeping for them.

[/ QUOTE ]

Do you have a list of people and companies it's ok to steal from?