Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-31-2005, 08:05 PM

Default Re: Bankroll Bragging...

fwiw, I keep a ton online compared to my bank account. Right now, I got 60kish online and only 10k in my bank account. I think it might bt time to start some investing.
Old 08-31-2005, 02:05 PM

I will be starting to do that. From now on 50% of each month's profits stay in the BR, 25% go to taxes, etc and 25% gets invested.
Old 08-31-2005, 02:18 PM

6 k - 8 table the 33s
Old 08-31-2005, 02:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
eastbay,

i really like that plan and it's exactly what i use (though cut in half to keep a $55 roll online). luckily haven't had to yet, but i'd plan on symmetrically adding the (in your case) $3k if it gets down to $4k for safety.

a friend did have a slightly over $1k roll stolen off of stars by people from north carolina (we still don't know how they got his info, but they lost it to each other purposely) -- not only is it safer elsewhere but it can also be earning at LEAST 3% and much higher in certain things

i highly recommend investing at least 10% of profits in something -- up until recently i've made the mistake of assuming all profits should be spent on luxuries, but while most of us are young it's a GREAT time to start putting money away and letting it grow

[/ QUOTE ]

Very true. My bankroll is technically ~40k but i've put 25 of it in an Ameritrade account to invest. Keeping any more money than you need online is bad for your longterm bankroll. At least put it in an ING savings account instead of keeping like $30k in Neteller to play the 55s like some people do. I have about 12k online to 8-table the 100s.
Old 08-31-2005, 05:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
$8k, $109. I cash $3k when I reach $10k.

You guys keeping more than that in there are nuts IMO. One little hacker and whoosh... no recourse.

eastbay

[/ QUOTE ]

Can a hacker really do that if you have your money spread out over about 20-40 sites? Also I don't leave it all online, I have a running number which is my poker bankroll. This doesn't mean it's online.
Old 08-31-2005, 09:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

You guys keeping more than that in there are nuts IMO. One little hacker and whoosh... no recourse.

eastbay

[/ QUOTE ]

Can a hacker really do that if you have your money spread out over about 20-40 sites? Also I don't leave it all online, I have a running number which is my poker bankroll. This doesn't mean it's online.

[/ QUOTE ]

IMO, if it's online, yes they can. If they get access to your machine, all bets are off, so to speak. Keylogging will give them access to anything you access.

eastbay
Old 08-31-2005, 10:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

eastbay

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

IMO, if it's online, yes they can. If they get access to your machine, all bets are off, so to speak. Keylogging will give them access to anything you access.

eastbay

[/ QUOTE ]

so where is the money safe? i access my bank account from online... should i cash out everythign and stuff it between my matress-- i've always wanted to sleep atop a pile of money
Old 08-31-2005, 11:08 PM

You don't have to bank online.

You should definitely have firewall/virus/adware/spyware, keep them current, and not do anything that invites trouble. Just a few years ago a lot of people talked like all of this was necessary, but just not doing anything stupid and you were pretty safe. Now it's pretty dangerous to connect to the internet.
Old 08-31-2005, 11:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]

so where is the money safe? i access my bank account from online... should i cash out everythign and stuff it between my matress-- i've always wanted to sleep atop a pile of money

[/ QUOTE ]

What's important is what can be done with the money. Most online banking services don't have an easy way for someone to ship your money off to an unknown location. You can move money around within the account, and "pay bills", but this doesn't make it trivial for a thief to empty your accounts into somewhere he can snag the money.

Once you're connected to neteller or some service like that, however, the picture changes, because if a thief can get the money into neteller, it's as good as gone, as far as I can tell. I've heard many credible stories of neteller accounts being emptied, with no compensation.

So it really depends on how you have your accounts set up.

A lone online banking account is, as far as I can tell, less dangerous than an online account that is connected to services like neteller, from which the money can be shipped into the ether relatively easily.

eastbay
Old 08-31-2005, 05:25 PM

somthing around 6k, learning sngs at the $22 level, 4 tabling. 26% roi over my first 200! thinking about investments, making A's in scholl, and #19th ranked flagfootball team in the nation...Holla!