Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-02-2005, 04:18 PM

Default Re: BK, is that you?

You have decent points...but it really doesn't take much time or effort to check if a good 100/200 is going.

As far as the statistics part...I guess we're different because I'd rather make more money and get better at the game then have sweet and accurate stats about myself. I guess I don't really care to always know exactly what my hourly rate is. I can guess well enough and don't need a stat program to tell me it with a certain confidense.

Taxes? how is that easier for taxes? I don't get that part.
Old 08-02-2005, 04:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
it took me about 20 seconds to have this "realization" when higher limit tables popped up at a given site. it's worthless to me unless there are a ton of tables 24/7.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't see why you need tons of tables 24/7. Why not just play the game when it's good and not when it's not. It's worked great for qutie a few of us. So you don't get to play high every day, big deal. But when you do, you're hourly is higher and you get that experiance. All while you're grinding out your normal sweet profits at the lower limits.

[/ QUOTE ]

FWIW, a lot of players (I don't know whether this applies to you or not) vastly overestimate their edge and vastly underestimate the variance that occurs when sitting in a bigger game because 1 or 2 fishy players sat down. Especially if those fishy players are super aggro. For example, I have been sitting in some crazy 80 games on UB before when a certain 2+2er in this thread has sat down. I've known exactly why he was sitting down and I'm sure he thought those player(s) made him a favorite in the game, but I can assure you that in some of those spots he has been a huge dog in the game.

Overall, I agree w/ many of the points you've made in this thread.
Old 08-02-2005, 04:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Yes, playing higher has made me a significantly better player at 30/60. And I mean VERY significantly. So there might be a bad player or two at the 100/200, but there are 4 other players who are about equal or better players than you are and you need to learn how to play hands differently versus very tough opponents and take more meta game stuff into consideration.

[/ QUOTE ]

This paragraph was very applicable to me and I made a post in SS giving my thoughts on moving up based on it.
Old 08-02-2005, 04:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]

FWIW, a lot of players (I don't know whether this applies to you or not) vastly overestimate their edge and vastly underestimate the variance that occurs when sitting in a bigger game because 1 or 2 fishy players sat down. Especially if those fishy players are super aggro. For example, I have been sitting in some crazy 80 games on UB before when a certain 2+2er in this thread has sat down. I've known exactly why he was sitting down and I'm sure he thought those player(s) made him a favorite in the game, but I can assure you that in some of those spots he has been a huge dog in the game.

[/ QUOTE ]

Right, I realized this about a month ago. I changed my qualifier for 300/600 to be 2 fish or 1 sooooooooper fish taht is just giving his money away. There was a player - sansone who played a 61/40/1.5 or so 6 handed game that I used to play because he was playing but he just made for such wild swings cause he played so crazy and the other players were probably taking a lot of the money I made off him away from me...as well he plays actually kinda tough postflop cause he's so aggressive. I no longer count him as a qualifier. I have played about 100 hands since changing the qualifier. It was a great decision.

You're right, limit holdem has HUGE variance. I keep thinking I reached as big as it gets and it only gets bigger. I now see what you were trying to get into my head months ago. A 30k breakeven streak is bound to happen from time to time. That's siiiiick.
Old 08-02-2005, 04:52 PM

I think there are many excellent points in this thread. What I am taking away from it (as a regular 30-60 player and a 50-100 shot taker) is that perhaps it makes sense to listen to the mind and body letting you know what your comfort zone is and either step down or just be aware.

What I do is 2-3 table the 30 really trying to concentrate vs. 4 tabling the 15.
Old 08-02-2005, 05:29 PM

There's a reason astro is better than the vast majority of 2+2ers taking shots at these bigger games, yet sticks w/ his plan. It's not because he's scared and it's not because he's stupid. Well, he is kind of stupid, but that's a whole separate matter. Anyhow, astro has made this point every time new bigger games become available. I remember astro making similar points when Party opened up two 30/60s. When taking into account all of the factors (time to find games, time to scout, increased variance, etc.) for many it will often be most profitable to just stick w/ the biggest widely spread game. Variance in the bigger games makes them seem much more profitable than they really are to players who run good when they start playing. This is all based on the assumption that the primary goal is making the most money. For players who want the challenge and rush of playing higher limits, 1800 makes some good points about moving up. That is definitely something players should be focusing on if they are looking to make a move against Johnny Chan in the big game at the Taj.
Old 08-02-2005, 05:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
This paragraph was very applicable to me and I made a post in SS giving my thoughts on moving up based on it.

[/ QUOTE ]
for the curious: link
Old 08-02-2005, 05:33 PM

i been playing the 15 lately, hoping to grind my up to the 30. but that sounds alot less appealing now that many top players are grinding it now. sigh
Old 08-02-2005, 05:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Wow, I thought I was the only one like this. The first time you lose 20 dimes in a day can sure knock the [censored] out of you, I don't care if you KNOW you have an edge in the game. I just decided I can make plenty of money playing 30 and then slashing big in person down in Jersey. I can't have every night be a do or die financial struggle AND live my life. Doesn't work for me...

Jeff

[/ QUOTE ]

i have just yesturday come to the same conclusion and today played 6 tables of 30/60.

my god those games are easy on a relative scale. and there is really no risk for me. it was like i was enjoying poker all over again.

-Barron

[/ QUOTE ]

Welcome to my realization about 3 weeks ago. I'm sure this will come across conceited like...but 30/60 is like a walk in the park compaired to 100/200. Moves are just so much more transparent and they don't put you to the test as correctly.

It's fun to kick the [censored] out of a limit again. I mean 1bb/100 at a 1/2 game is great, money wise...but it just doesn't feel the same as destroying a lower limit game...it's kinda 'fun'.

[/ QUOTE ]

Did it feel this easy when you were playing 30/60 as your "big" game though, or has it only felt that way since you played much bigger and have now moved down.

ie. Has playing big for as long as you have made you as good of a 30/60 player as you are now? If so, there may be merit to playing break even 100/200 if you can emotionally handle the variance.

[/ QUOTE ]

playing higher has made me so much better its sick. i look back on how i played in nov2004 when i started this run and even back to march or may when i was just starting higher limits from 30...two different players.

i used to be a fish at the beginning to bk and schnieds and those guys but now (uness its HU vs. schnieds) i am a pain in the arse to play against.

now taking that game back to 30/60 its like these people's cards are face up and pokerace is showing them to me before the showdown (which is a feature i think i'll email josh about adding [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img] )

but mark you make a good post and the follow ups by bk i can do nothing but "second" their content.

-Barron
Old 08-02-2005, 05:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
That is definitely something players should be focusing on if they are looking to make a move against Johnny Chan in the big game at the Taj.

[/ QUOTE ]

Lol.. well played.