Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-30-2005, 08:09 AM

Default Re: Best and Worst Days of Your Life as a Sports Fan

I can't believe the other blazers fan omitted the obvious answer. Game seven of the 2000 Western conference finals. Blazers have a lead in the fourth, on the way to coming back from a 3-1 to head to a cakewalk NBA finals and potentially kickstart years of good things. Instead, no one makes a shot, the lakers recover and win, and I want to punch someone in the face. It was a brutal 8ish minutes, the whole time you have that pit in your stomach, you keep looking at the clock just wanting the game to be over. ugh. That kickstarted years of medicority and crime on the blazers. We have yet to recover.

Best: 2003 Apple Cup is high. 2004 Mens gymnastics all around finals. Really though my sports fan life ahs been filled with bitter dissapointment.
Old 07-30-2005, 10:03 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Worst: Jim Leyritz, 1996 WS - especially since Braves were the best team in baseball that year

Best: 1995 WS, final out by Grissom with Bob Costas doing the call

[/ QUOTE ]

Same, with the '97 NLCS a close 2nd. [censored] Eric Gregg.
Old 07-30-2005, 01:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Best:
Watching Washington State beat Washington in 1997 to go to the Rose Bowl for the first time in 68 years (and partying on the turf at Husky Stadium after the game).

[/ QUOTE ]

That one is up there for me. That whole season, really. Of course it was also one of the worst moments too, with Michael Black getting hurt in the Rose Bowl, and being on the field when Leaf clearly spiked the ball with 2 sec. left on the clock. [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]
Old 07-30-2005, 03:00 PM

Best:1993 NBA Finals Game 6. Great end, to a great series.

Worst: I try not to think about the 2003 NLCS, so let's go with Hue Hollins "Phantom Call"
1994 Eastern Conference Finals Game 5. Bulls lead Knicks 86-85 with 2.1 seconds left. Scottie Pippen contests a Hubert Davis' shot, Davis flops and Hue Hollins calls a foul. Davis makes 2 free throws, Bulls lose the series in 7 games. One of the worst calls in sports history.

The most up and down 24 hours:September 27 & 28, 1998 final day of the baseball regular season. Cubs and Giants start the day tied for the NL Wild Card. Cubs are in Houston and blow a 3-1 lead in the 8th eventually losing 4-3 in the 11th.

Meanwhile in Colorado, the Giants have blown a 7-0 lead. The Rockies are coming to bat in the 9th tied 8-8. The 2nd pitch Robb Nenn throws, Neifi Perez hits in to the stands in right field to force a Cubs-Giants one game playoff. Neifi's home run came literally seconds after Carl Everett crosse the plate in Houston.

The 1 game playoff would be at Wrigley the next day. I rushed out to ticketmaster ended up getting 3 great tickets 10 rows behind the Giants dugout. Cubs win thanks to a Gary Gaetti home run and good pitching from Trachsel, Mullholand and a scary Rod Beck 9th inning.
Old 07-30-2005, 03:41 PM

the worst day of my life as a sports fan

HAPPENED TODAY!

I was watching the yankee game today on fox, and i saw... [img]/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]

ALAN [censored] EMBREE

warming up with a yankee uniform on. gross, worst moment of my life.
Old 07-30-2005, 03:48 PM

Solid debut.
Old 07-30-2005, 04:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Worst: Jim Leyritz, 1996 WS - especially since Braves were the best team in baseball that year

Best: 1995 WS, final out by Grissom with Bob Costas doing the call

[/ QUOTE ]

Same, with the '97 NLCS a close 2nd. [censored] Eric Gregg.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, can't leave out that fat bastard..
Old 07-30-2005, 05:01 PM

Default Indiana over Duke in 2002 Sweet 16

Best:IU over Duke in 2002 Sweet 16 and ensuing national runner up. I was a soph at IU that year and the Duke win was a crazy night.

Old 07-30-2005, 05:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The title is self-explanatory.

My worst:

1997 World Series. My Tribe 3 outs from winning it all. Then the tragedy ensues. It haunts me to this day.

A distant second is the day it was announced that the Browns were leaving Cleveland. At least we got a new franchise, if you can call it that...

My best:

This past April when the Tar Heels won the National Championship. I've been a diehard fan for quite some time, even through the Guthridge/Doherty era, and it was very satisfying to see them back on top.

Close second: OSU over Miami in the National Championship a couple years ago.

Close third: When the Cavs won the lottery and the rights to Lebron James, who grew up about 15 minutes from my hometown and who I watched play several times in H.S.

[/ QUOTE ]

besides the tarheel thing, i couldn't have written it any better.
Old 07-30-2005, 06:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Best:

Can't think of a worst right now.

[/ QUOTE ]

I am not much of a basketball fan but I have always loved that picture. The thing I love about it is how you see the faces of everyone in the stands. They all know it's going in and that Jordan has just won the game for the Bulls. EVERY single person has that "Oh, sh!t!" look on their face.