Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-13-2005, 11:21 AM

Default Re: Raymer and BIG STACK poker...

He backdoors a flush with 66.
Old 07-13-2005, 11:21 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Paluka,

Part of the problem here is that one only gets to 'see' what ESPN wants us to see, so given that you're judging Greg's play based soley upon what was telecast of the Final Table, I can certainly understand what you're saying.

However, please be aware that there were lot's of hands that we never got to see in the broadcast that I'm sure you would have enjoyed had you (or any of us) been privvy to seeing them.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, it is very possible Greg made some interesting/great plays that nobody saw.
Old 07-13-2005, 11:23 AM

[ QUOTE ]
The guy lost 1 coinflip that they showed on TV.

[/ QUOTE ]

Read it again. THAT THEY SHOWED ON TV.

I'm not trying to be obnoxious. I'm trying to be right.
Old 07-13-2005, 11:25 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
The guy lost 1 coinflip that they showed on TV.

[/ QUOTE ]

Read it again. THAT THEY SHOWED ON TV.

I'm not trying to be obnoxious. I'm trying to be right.

[/ QUOTE ]

by 'right', I assume that you really mean 'accurate'?
Old 07-13-2005, 11:26 AM

What interesting hand, the monster reraise with KQo? He dominated the final table, and caught cards when he had to. Paluka is right, Greg during the last 2 episodes did nothing spectacular. He didn't make a balsy bluff like Moneymaker did to Sammy the year before.

He played power poker and destroyed the table. Is it that hard to win when your never getting hit and winning races? Not really. All I think Paluka is saying is any good pro player with Raymer's cards could have done the same thing Raymer did. Raymer isn't that much better of a player for winning after he built his stack up in comparison to the average Pro player. His most impressive feats were not covered by ESPN when he built his stack. They showed some of it, but not a lot of it. The last 2 shows, especially the final table, wasn't really interesting poker.
Old 07-13-2005, 11:29 AM

I'm assuming over the last 2 days when Raymer stacked up they would show ANY hand that was big for the tourney chip leader. Maybe I'm wrong, maybe you can goto the hand logs. Why wouldn't they show a hand that Raymer lost? Please feel free to post the hands Raymer lost in the last 2 days on coinflips, Mr. Smarty Pants.
Old 07-13-2005, 11:31 AM

[ QUOTE ]
What interesting hand, the monster reraise with KQo? He dominated the final table, and caught cards when he had to. Paluka is right, Greg during the last 2 episodes did nothing spectacular. He didn't make a balsy bluff like Moneymaker did to Sammy the year before.

He played power poker and destroyed the table. Is it that hard to win when your never getting hit and winning races? Not really. All I think Paluka is saying is any good pro player with Raymer's cards could have done the same thing Raymer did. Raymer isn't that much better of a player for winning after he built his stack up in comparison to the average Pro player. His most impressive feats were not covered by ESPN when he built his stack. They showed some of it, but not a lot of it. The last 2 shows, especially the final table, wasn't really interesting poker.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think the majority of pros could win these tournaments if they were given the cards of the players that actually won. There just really isn't a huge difference in skill among the top players in the world. It isn't about whether Greg is the best player in the world, it's whether he's one of the best.
Old 07-13-2005, 11:33 AM

[ QUOTE ]

I think the majority of pros could win these tournaments if they were given the cards of the players that actually won.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think this may be a bit too big of an assumption.
Old 07-13-2005, 11:34 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Mr. Smarty Pants.

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh no you DIDN'T!

I probably AM being a jerk, but jeez, need someone to change your diaper?

And I have no idea how many coinflip-allin situations Greg lost. I'm sure it was much less than the ones he won, but I can just about guarantee you every single WSOP winner has won more...lots more most likely, coinflips than they lost.
Old 07-13-2005, 11:36 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

I think the majority of pros could win these tournaments if they were given the cards of the players that actually won.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think this may be a bit too big of an assumption.

[/ QUOTE ]

OK, looking back on my point, I realize I didn't really say what I wanted too. Would the best player in the world have won with Varkoyni or Moneymaker's cards? Meh, maybe not since they may not have made the -EV decisions that they got lucky with.

So...yeah, my point sucked.

I still stand by my point that most pros are very comparable in skill though, and it's near impossible to pick a "best".