Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-08-2005, 03:01 AM

Default Re: Favorite healthy snack

Anything with peanut butter on it. Mmmmmmmmmmm.
Old 06-08-2005, 03:05 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Dried cranberries. Chase with pickle juice. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

WTF is a "gout"?

[/ QUOTE ]

Second person that asked this.

The main symptom of Gout is severe pain, more often in the hand, foot, or base of the big toe, but sometimes in the knee or elbow. Within a few hours, the affected joint can swell, get tender, and the pain so great, that the slightest touch is unbearable. The skin around the joint can also get inflamed and a fever is common. Also, lump formations, called tophi, can occur under the skin around the affected area. Gout most often affect males after puberty but women get it usually only after menopause. Women therefore are less likely to be affected then men.

Gout is characterized by high levels of uric acid. When the body produces too much uric acid for the kidney to excrete it, the blood becomes super saturated and needle-like crystals of salts form. When these crystals are caught and form within joints, it can cause severe pain and inflammation. Some environmental conditions can contribute to gout such as over use of alcohol, consumption of purine foods and stress.

I've never had it but I seen people suffer and it looks painful.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't know if it's scientifically valid, but for ages gout has been thought of as very common among the rich(remember it's really not very long since most people even in Europe and America had poor nutrition or even malnourishment). This was supposedly becuase of their heavy ingestion of food, especially extremely rich food. Eating used to be practically a competitive sport among the wealthy, and probably turning a lot of their livers into foie gras and causing other problems, gout supposedly being one of them.
Old 06-08-2005, 03:07 AM

you are in ca? buy all your food at trader joes. their soup, cereal, dried foot, pasta, and even frozen entrees are delicious and healthy.
Old 06-08-2005, 03:08 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Delicious, I'd eat this even if it was extremely unhealthy (you can get them pre-made in most grocery stores).

[/ QUOTE ]

I love eating those vegetable platters too. But the dip can be very, very high calorie. Still, I love it and can munch down a ton of it. I've put on weight eating it from the dressing, though, so I don't make them anymore. Kinda like I don't make bread very often anymore because I like it so much I'm too tempted to eat a whole loaf as it comes out of the oven.
Old 06-08-2005, 03:12 AM

Default Re: good granola

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

I'd rather get calories from fat (if it's the good sorts of fat, as nuts contain) than from carbs. I don't think that there is much of a difference between "healthy" and "diet" foods.

[/ QUOTE ]

Huh? Calories from carbs are fine as long as you do some sort of exercise, which if you're not, there's really no point in eating healthy.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, there's always a ton of point to eating healthy. My family has a bad history of heart disease, so I eat less garbage than I would like to. Most people are in danger of heart disease sooner or later. All of us are better off doing something, even if it's small, than nothing.
Old 06-08-2005, 03:14 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
baby carrots. I munch on those things non-stop at work.

[/ QUOTE ]

Try squeezing some fresh lemon juice on them. Makes them even better.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's amazing how many things a squeeze of lemon makes better.

I love lots of lemon on fish, and when I've had it with rice, always liked the taste of the rice when it absorbed some lemon. Now, the heck with it, I just squeeze some extra lemon right on the rice.