Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-11-2005, 12:30 PM

Default Re: \"They\'d be drawing dead.\" Barry G on tournament pros...

I think it would probably be very easy to play some kind of super tight rock strategy in limit cash games and be as "successful" as the system would be in the long run in tournament play.
Old 05-11-2005, 12:35 PM

<font class="small">Code:</font><hr /><pre>One
Two
JJ analysis
More AQ analysis
Bay 101 final hand
Bay 101 final hand long version </pre><hr />

Interesting that the first two are concerning the hand where he sucked out on Gus Hansen with the worse hand, confirming his "luckiness".

As for the all of these examples. You took these analyses form his "Journal". Everyone should surmise that he hired a team of experts to edit his ramblings on that site. I bet none of these analyses were even read by him. Let's face it the guys ego won't let him put up something that others could easily dispute. I am beginnig to see where you are coming from. You are a PP henchman, a sort of soto voce, similar to John Bond for Roy Cooke. What is going on with these people? Are they so afraid to speak for themselves that they send out front men to do their dirty work? Come on show some courage.

Vince
Old 05-11-2005, 12:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't believe that you can. Besides I bet that a good dice player knows a lot more about dice than this guy knows about Poker.

[/ QUOTE ]

Paul has embarrassed you repeatedly over the course of years, both here and RGP. And it is true that Paul's posts are less than polite to you. But you know what? I've read hundreds of posts from him and hundreds of posts from you. From that basis only, Paul's posts indicate a far deeper insight into poker than your own. Please do try to look past your hurt feelings to the underlying reality: Paul understands far more about poker than you do. A simple comparison of your tourney results to his is persuasive evidence of this fact. Usual qualifiers with respect to the accuracy of the Hendon stats.

Paul:

http://pokerdb.thehendonmob.com/play...a=s&amp;n=1134

Vince:

http://pokerdb.thehendonmob.com/play...=s&amp;n=36437

I'd bet dollars to doughnuts that Paul's long-term hourly winrate, ROI, or other objective metrics far exceed Vince's.

I fully suspect I'll receive a vitriolic, invective-filled email as a result of this post. I wonder who it might be from?
Old 05-11-2005, 01:06 PM

Barry seems to be complaining that tournament players are getting the recognition and TV exposure when the best players are the ones that beat the Big Game, he, Brunson, Resse, Ivey, and Giang.

This is more or less true. The stakes in the Big Game are much higher than $10K tournaments. However, Negraenu and Hanson seem to be doing pretty well playing major tournaments.

The talk about well known tournament players being broke and making a living off poker paraphenalia is an exageration. It may be true in some cases.

However, most well known tournament players are strong playes who could make good money from tournaments or cash games at some level, even if they could not beat the Big Game. There are an awful lot of pros who get by playing 40/80, 5/10 NL, or $200-1000 tournaments, who would never think of playing in a major tournament or playing for 1/10th the stakes of the Big Game.
Old 05-11-2005, 01:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think it would probably be very easy to play some kind of super tight rock strategy in limit cash games and be as "successful" as the system would be in the long run in tournament play.

[/ QUOTE ]

No.

If you don't believe me try it. You would probably beat .02/.04-1/2 this way. But the way the small stakes games are now I doubt that you could beat the Party 3/6 game playing a "super tight" strategy, much less any game over 10/20.
Old 05-11-2005, 01:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The only reason I can think of that he would make these comments, is to try to provoke some of these players into playing in his game.

[/ QUOTE ]

Or maybe people whose opinions matter to him are doubting that he's really the best in the world. Seemed like that was the main reason Chau Giang re-entered the tournament scene, to impress Jodie Foster. Er, sorry, his kids.
Old 05-11-2005, 01:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
The only reason I can think of that he would make these comments, is to try to provoke some of these players into playing in his game.

[/ QUOTE ]

Or maybe people whose opinions matter to him are doubting that he's really the best in the world. Seemed like that was the main reason Chau Giang re-entered the tournament scene, to impress Jodie Foster. Er, sorry, his kids.

[/ QUOTE ]

My point is, why would he even care if he is the best in the world or not?

He is making a lot of money in the game. Good...
He enjoys what he does... even better...

So why should he care if a bunch of clueless people think that Chris Moneymaker is the greatest player ever?
Old 05-11-2005, 01:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Wrong - not in big games.
Old 05-11-2005, 01:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Everyone should surmise that he hired a team of experts to edit his ramblings on that site. I bet none of these analyses were even read by him.

[/ QUOTE ]
OK, now I know there is no way to argue logically with you about this subject.

[ QUOTE ]
You are a PP henchman, a sort of soto voce, similar to John Bond for Roy Cooke.

[/ QUOTE ]
I have reiterated time and time again that I am neither a supporter nor a detractor of any of these people. I don't know them personally... I have no feelings one way or the other towards them. I also don't know about your history with these people, nor do I care...that is not the point of my posting. The point is that I can't help but call you out on your logical blunders since they are so great and numerous. And P.S., dropping a "soto voce" on the argument does not somehow elevate your critical thinking to an adequate level.

I did not realize that your "personal involvement" with these people would preclude you from realizing the error in your thinking.

(To recap: the error is not in *what* you think so much as it is the limited amount of evidence you are basing it on. Very few people on these boards have the ability to say anything meaningful about any of these people's skills with any degree of certainty. And I am not only talking about PP.)

Anyway, it is obvious that either:
1) You are too blinded by dislike/hatred to notice your errors.
2) You do in fact notice the errors and refuse to admit to them thanks to said dislike/hatred.
3) This is all a big joke that I don't get and you just like stirring the pot to kill time.

Either or all are fine by me. Bad logic is my pet peeve...just trying to help out. In any event, I am done with this dead-end discussion/thread for now. Take care.

-tpir
Old 05-11-2005, 01:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I don't believe that you can. Besides I bet that a good dice player knows a lot more about dice than this guy knows about Poker.

[/ QUOTE ]

Paul has embarrassed you repeatedly over the course of years, both here and RGP. And it is true that Paul's posts are less than polite to you. But you know what? I've read hundreds of posts from him and hundreds of posts from you. From that basis only, Paul's posts indicate a far deeper insight into poker than your own. Please do try to look past your hurt feelings to the underlying reality: Paul understands far more about poker than you do. A simple comparison of your tourney results to his is persuasive evidence of this fact. Usual qualifiers with respect to the accuracy of the Hendon stats.

Paul:

http://pokerdb.thehendonmob.com/play...a=s&amp;n=1134

Vince:

http://pokerdb.thehendonmob.com/play...=s&amp;n=36437

I'd bet dollars to doughnuts that Paul's long-term hourly winrate, ROI, or other objective metrics far exceed Vince's.

I fully suspect I'll receive a vitriolic, invective-filled email as a result of this post. I wonder who it might be from?

[/ QUOTE ]

POTY