Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-09-2005, 10:15 AM

Default Re: How many of the BIG GAME players are the real deal?

Did i say i could. Read it again.
Old 05-09-2005, 10:19 AM

Lol. And how would you know he is better at stud than i am at holdem? You just put a post above this where you said how could i know if i can beat 100-200 game if i never played it(which isn't what i said anyway). Then you state he is better than me? So i'll ask the question back. How do you know he is better than me if you don't know my ability and probably don't know his. But regarless of his. If you don't know mine how can you make a statement someone else is better? Do you see how this condradicts your thinking in the post above?
Old 05-09-2005, 01:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I could and can play 100-200 if i wanted. Just because i have less need to risk my bankroll than ivey should not penalize my ability. Do you see that? Just becasue someone plays high, does not mean they play better than say me for instance. Like i said he didnt get the money to play in the big game through grinding up the ladder in limits. He won some big tournaments. How long was Mason stuck at 30-60? How long is Roy Cooke stuck at 30-60? Does this mean they are not good? You try to belittle me for the limit i play. Do you belittle them to? Roy Cooke is a millionaire and doesn't move up. But i must or i'm not that good. I have never attempted to move up where i got shot back down. I just never tried. As i feel i am in a comfortable situation. where moving up sounds like it could bring added stress in my life that i dont need right now. Down the road the more i get, and the older i get. I may take a shot at moving up. Although i dont think i will ever play 4-8k even if i was a millionaire. Only because it is bad game selcetion and not worth the risking my bankroll for the thrill of victory! And not necessarily because those players are ther best. More to the fact that they have more money. I would rather play with them than the likes of a lineup that looked like this. Lenny Martin seat 1, david Sklansky, seat 2, Mason Malmuth seat 3, Abdul seat 4, Izmet Fakali(angelina) seat 5, Barry Tannenbaum seat 6, Roy Cooke seat 7, Mark Gregorich seat 8, Howard Lederer seat 9. This is a table i would very much not like to see. I'd definately rather play the likes of Daniel N, Gus Hansen, Phil Ivey, adn Doyle Brunson's. Remmebr this is for the game that in play. Which is limit holdem. And before i hear well they are good at all games as far as the big game players. If they are truley as good as they and you claim(world class) they should be able to beat anybody at any game!

Btw any of us could beat a game that is filled with a whale (Larry Flynt). Especially if we were all playing out of the same bankroll. How could we lose? If i lose and Ted forrest wins i still win. As it is the same bankroll. I'm not sure about whether Phil I was in on that. But i have heard Ted F. backed and played out of the same bankroll with alot of guys against Larry Flynt in the early days of that game. And it doesn't mean they cheated? As they coulda played him fairly. But easier to play when you know you will win becasue all that has to happen is the fish lose.

And lastly, just because i make money off the donks doesn't mean i couldn't beat the bigger players and games. Like i said if they came down to my game to make things be equal and not about who cares less about money. And it came down to skill i think i would fair ok. I would be more worried about talent in the 200-400 game rather than the small lineup in the 4-8k game. The biggest edge bigger players have over me is the less fear of swings and money. They are less likely to be affected if it is there regular as i would be if i was playing higher than is comfortable to me and my money. That doesn't take skill. If it was skill they could beat me in the 15-30.

[/ QUOTE ]

If this is the kind of logic you are using, there's no way you could beat anyone in a 200-400. I don't know why I or anyone else humors Smoothcall/Vince. It's a waste of time arguing with this clown.
Old 05-09-2005, 01:27 PM

Any reasons for your comment that i could not beat it with this logic? And again i never said i could or couldn't beat it. Or are you just gonna insult and not even have a reason why? You are a real asset to the forum!
Old 05-09-2005, 02:37 PM

Why are you so hung up on limit holdem?

There is a reason that big game is a mixed game. Some of the big game players might have an edge over an expert limit holdem player in a ten handed limit holdem game (although it wouldn't be huge) and others might have no edge.

But, an expert limit holdem player would get killed in the mixed games assuming he is not an expert in any of them.

These guys are not so successfull because they are great poker players. They are great gamblers and the whole trick of gambling is arranging the situation so that you have an edge while the other guy thinks he has the edge.
Old 05-09-2005, 02:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
But if they came down and played 15-30 with me i would not think i was outmatched my any means.

[/ QUOTE ]
but you probably would be because of the little things that they do and you don't.
here's a really basic example. say you have two overcards, a gutshot and a backdoor flush draw in a bigish pot. you call a bet on the flop, call a bet on the turn when you pick up your flush draw, then hit your overcard to win on the river. if you were making this play, you understand why you did it. if you were the recipient of the beat, you'd be cursing the no-fold fish who now has "your" chips. I'm pretty sure that the big game players (or world class players, if you prefer) do similar things that look fishy or mundane to the casual or uninformed eye which are, in fact, +EV and sophisticated.

that's enough poker. back to OOT for me.
Old 05-09-2005, 02:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

well maybe that is why i can push those small edges because i'm playing at limits where i dont have to worry about bankroll. i said i was ultra conservative in limits i play. not how i play my hands. If you were a good player you would see the difference.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I smell a freezeout challenge . . .

[/ QUOTE ]
ElD's one of the best players in the bay area. smoothcall may have to change his handle to skidmark if this goes through.
Old 05-09-2005, 02:54 PM

DS has written that the difference between wcp and great players is the speed their mind works at. this may be why he and other noted authors don't play higher.
Old 05-09-2005, 03:57 PM

You are not making a very good argument. You are saying they are better because they do the little things that i don't. How do you know this?
Old 05-09-2005, 04:08 PM

Again an assumption you make when you don't even know the ability of his opponent. How can you make comparison if you don't even know the opponent. And i bet you don't even know eld's ability. Its great when you can make such strong arguments that i will get beat by higher limit players and el diablo when you know nothing about any of us. Maybe you don't know what you are talking about?