Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-06-2005, 12:58 AM

Default Re: \"Official\" Live at the Bike thread (5/5)

Who is seat 3? He seems to play 22ish(read:solid.)
Old 05-06-2005, 01:20 AM

Hello everyone. I'm glad I got to chance play tonight's 200NL game. I am $900 richer for two hours. Anyway, i got my fair share of hands and definitely had my fair share of luck. Like Dave and I always say staright forward play in restricted buy in NL games is usually the best strategy. I wanted to address a hand that was played once i got into the commentator booth.

$200 NL max buy in game. 3-5 blinds.

S9= at least $500
S5= at least $450

S9 Jh 6h
S5 Ah Ks

S9 in mid position, S5 in one of the blinds.

5 or 6 limpers in unraised pot.

Flop: Ac Kh 4h

Checked around on flop.

Turn: ?h

S5 bets 40, S9 raises to 80, S5 calls. Everyone folds.

River: As.

S5 checks S9 checks behind. S5 wins with Aces full of kings. I might have slightly misrepresented some of the cards but I think that everyone can get the point. Any comments on how the hand was played?

Any comments on any of the hands that i was involved with during my play time?

Please join us for our unrestriced 500 min buy in NL game tomorrow at 6PM Pacific time.
Old 05-06-2005, 02:04 AM

[ QUOTE ]

$200 NL max buy in game. 3-5 blinds.

[/ QUOTE ]

Misplayed on just about every street by S5.

Preflop: too much equity in this pot not to raise and drive out limpers.

Flop: checking here seems pretty bad, maybe S5 was hoping someone would take a shot at it and then she could get a check-raise in. Although with 6 players, there's a fairly good probability one of them's got the [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] draw.

Turn: considering this is an 6-handed unraised pot and S5 is very straightfoward tight, her leading out is almost certainly a big made hand. S9 knows this and mini-raises and she flat calls. S9 is representing a set, AK/A4 with A [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], or the nut flush here, by calling the mini-raise which represents huge strength in an unraised pot.

River: S5 checking here is obviously a big mistake, as the non-nut flush here probably checks behind but might call avalue bet. S9 made a good play in that he recognized that there's nothing that S5 would call a river bet with there that he could beat. If S5 had a set/two pair, the boat got there on the river either that or he was already losing to a higher flush.
Old 05-06-2005, 02:05 AM

This is one of the shows I'd like to watch from the archives because it has a couple of players who know what they're doing (you and Grizzly Adams) and it has several players who have obvious tendencies that can be taken advantage of. Cassandra in seat 5 had the most obvious tendencies but it seemed like most of the players had slowplayitis and wanted to entice action by checking/betting 1-2x BB in the hopes of appearing weak. For example, the guy who turned a straight flush bet $5 on the turn and suckered another player with ace-high to play. Seems like everyone plays the same way. On the flop, the small bets are generally indicative of a very strong hand and the player is looking to get at least a little action, while the medium bets ($20-$30) are generally weak bets and the player is trying to get everyone out. Any check-raises are almost 100% guaranteed of a strong hand and I saw several check-raises on flop bets of $15, which are usually exploratory bets and when faced with the raise, the bettor just folds.

It was funny when you said that the players looked at you like you had three heads on the ATo, T-T-8 flop hand because all these players thought "Wow, trips and you bet??!?!" Unfortunately for you, on that hand, nobody had a pair or a draw, but I guarantee any 8 would have called, QJ, J9, flush draw (if there was one, don't remember), 76, probably even a hand like J7, and maybe even ace-high would have called because these players think "He's betting right out, he must have nothing!" It's a case of knowing your opponent, and you and Tuch talked about it more in detail about how Grizzly Adams was continually getting paid off as obviously nobody on the table was paying attention that he was only playing big pocket pairs and big aces.

As far as the way you played, I think you played just fine. I'd like to hear your thoughts about the hand in which you limped UTG with AKo and eventually it was a three-way flop with two AQ hands with the case ace on the board.

The AK v J6s hand was redonkulous. That's about as badly as you can play AK, IMO. She never made a bet with the best hand. Flops top two and tries to check raise and fails. Allows a weak hand to catch up and decides to bet when she's behind. A min-raise and she still had redraws to the nut flush or a full house and she calls. She rivers an ace and has the stone cold nuts and tries a check-raise AGAIN! I give it up to seat 9 who checked behind, fearing a full house or maybe a higher flush. I probably would have bet as you said you would have, but I think in this case, a thinking player would bet the river with a flush, while an amateur-ish player probably fears monsters and is okay with just checking it down. Really, there was little reason for seat 9 to fear a full house. However, if Cassandra really thought that seat 9 had a strong hand, why not lead on the river? She is almost certainly going to get paid off and he might even raise. She was just too hell bent on trying for check-raises and slowplaying.

After tonight, I might sign up for the archives just to replay nights like this where there are a couple of strong players cleaning up and a bunch of bad players struggling and giving off huge signals about their hands.
Old 05-06-2005, 02:43 AM

Hey Russ,

Thanks for the kind words. You know you r one of my favorites on 2+2[img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img] Let me run that AK hand back so people r familiar with it. I (S7) limped with AKos UTG. I believe that fatboy to my immediate left raised to 20. Fellow in S1 called, S2 called and I called.

FLOP: 7s As 5h--or something like that.

I have about $200 and lead for $75. Fatboy folds. S1 calls and has me well covered. S2 moves all in for about $105 total. I move all in S1 mucks--shows Ad Qd-- and S2 turns over AQ. Turn Blank, River Blank.

Obviously in a game with deeper stacks this hand would have played out differently. The funny thing is I thought that S2 was 50/50 to have a better hand than me since he was saying "I need help I need help". What I was really worried about was S1's overcall. I thought he might have a flush draw or was slowplaying a monster. If I had had $1000 and he had me covered I might have mucked this hand. At the point that we were at in the game, however, I only had about $125 left and thought it was right to move all in. The funny thing is that Shirley Rosario was telling me that there was a possibility that a technical mistake was made in this hand. If my figures were correct regarding the bet sizes I should not have had the option to reraise. S2's raise has to be more than 50% of my bet and I believe that his all in was slightly under this number (A reraise of only $30).

Anyway, a tough hand if the stacks were deep and I would like to know people's opinions about the play if both I and S1 had had at least $500+.

On another note and I apologize for misplacing this question, did the NBC affiliate out of LA not air the National heads up championship on Saturday morning? I had set up my TIVO to record it and it picked up some local news special. I am watching the rerun that I TIVOed on CNBC right now. Again, I am not privy to strict forum etiquette and if someone can point to the right area were I could post this question I would greatly appreciate it.

Bart
Old 05-06-2005, 02:58 AM

[ QUOTE ]
What I was really worried about was S1's overcall.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's kinda what it looked like. It looked as though for a moment you were going to fold (you checked back at your hand, presumably to see if you had a backdoor flush redraw?) and I was worried you'd muck. It's entirely possible that seat 2 thought he had the best hand, and his "I guess I'm beat" shtick was just to entire a call by a weaker ace. (Fatboy had KJs in that hand btw)

In a deeper game, if I bet $75 and get reraised another $400-500 or more, I'd almost certainly throw the hand away too. If someone is willing to put that much money in the pot with AQ, I can find a better spot to pick him off.

You are in the right forum for your question about the HUPC, but if you are really interested you'd probably be best to start a new thread.
Old 05-06-2005, 08:27 AM

[ QUOTE ]
On another note and I apologize for misplacing this question, did the NBC affiliate out of LA not air the National heads up championship on Saturday morning? I had set up my TIVO to record it and it picked up some local news special. I am watching the rerun that I TIVOed on CNBC right now.

Bart

[/ QUOTE ]

Bart,

It seems some stations usually run informercials in the 12 noon slot Sundays. However, it looks like CNBC will be re-airing shows every Thursday. On tvguide.com, they're listing they're reairing tomorrow's 90 minute show Thursday at 8pm (although they're also listing Dennis Miller at 9pm).

Kevin...