Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-11-2005, 12:25 AM

Default Re: A question: The fundamentals of backing

he said the same thing to me man...read his post...i was 3-betting that one guy
Old 03-11-2005, 12:25 AM

I agree, and I don't see how this is even a discussion. He bankrolled you, and you lost what he gave you. Then you "took a week off" and started back up with your own BR? Why didn't you use your own BR in the first place? And, did you even ask if he would BR you more? This sounds like a clear case of a "free shot" or whatever you want to call it.

The fact of the matter is, he bankrolled you and took a hit, then a week later you won it all (plus more?) back. Whether you like it or not, at the very least you should pay him back the original "loan" or whatever you want to call it. How can you honestly look at yourself in the mirror every night/morning/whenever and think you aren't screwing him over on this? Don't pull any "oh it wasn't written in the contract, I don't know what to do! Please help me!" crap, when you lost the roll and told him he could have easily been mean about it. But what did he do? He said oh well, stuff happens. And what do you do in return? Decide that when you hit a good streak you'll brush him off? Seriously, you need to get yourself in check, man, that's ridiculous.
Old 03-11-2005, 12:32 AM

wow, why would i bring it up? wouldn't i try to justify it first with him? i started this thread, not him. you have some weird reasoning skills.

WD
Old 03-11-2005, 12:34 AM

there was no fine print...this was never discussed
Old 03-11-2005, 12:38 AM

: [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] thanks man, while reading the first half of your post i thought that you were being sarcastic and i was bracing myself for the punchline. i'm not trying to be dishonest, there was no agreement on this and i assumed these things worked that way. i did not pursue backing because i coudl not afford it, i did it because i was willing to give up half my winnings to not risk my own money, it was a business decision on my part.

WD
Old 03-11-2005, 12:47 AM

[ QUOTE ]
: [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] thanks man, while reading the first half of your post i thought that you were being sarcastic and i was bracing myself for the punchline. i'm not trying to be dishonest, there was no agreement on this and i assumed these things worked that way. i did not pursue backing because i coudl not afford it, i did it because i was willing to give up half my winnings to not risk my own money, it was a business decision on my part.

WD

[/ QUOTE ]

With an attitude like that, what's to prevent me from taking this "staking deal," taking say a $1k stake into a STEP 5, going "oh, oops, I guess I lost it. No biggie, it was a business decision not to risk my own money. Sorry, deal over. Guess I'll buy into my next $109 as usual..."

The point is that I think you've missed the spirit of the deal which was offered here. I'm not speaking for anyone, but these kinds of deals are not generally intended to be a way to take a free shot with no risk using somebody else's money. It appears that that is essentially how you treated it.

My personal opinion is that you both screwed this up. Take responsibility for your part of it, and repay the stake. Brush off, and move on.

eastbay
Old 03-11-2005, 12:54 AM

[ QUOTE ]
there was no fine print...this was never discussed

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes it was,

I could stop the arrangment whenever i liked by returning the roll i had been provided.

returning...
the...
roll

And not asking about pesky little details like:
"What happens if I loose all of your money?"
is like not reading the fine print.

Grow up. Pay the man his roll.
Old 03-11-2005, 01:02 AM

Yah, I never should have bothered to post on this, that was my bad. So much of this makes no sense, and it won't make sense without some more clarification were not going to get.

Nevermind. I'm going to go back to bubbling, which I'm awful good at tonight.
Old 03-11-2005, 01:03 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

: thanks man, while reading the first half of your post i thought that you were being sarcastic and i was bracing myself for the punchline. i'm not trying to be dishonest, there was no agreement on this and i assumed these things worked that way. i did not pursue backing because i coudl not afford it, i did it because i was willing to give up half my winnings to not risk my own money, it was a business decision on my part.

WD

[/ QUOTE ]

With an attitude like that, what's to prevent me from taking this "staking deal," taking say a $1k stake into a STEP 5, going "oh, oops, I guess I lost it. No biggie, it was a business decision not to risk my own money. Sorry, deal over. Guess I'll buy into my next $109 as usual..."

The point is that I think you've missed the spirit of the deal which was offered here. I'm not speaking for anyone, but these kinds of deals are not generally intended to be a way to take a free shot with no risk using somebody else's money. It appears that that is essentially how you treated it.

My personal opinion is that you both screwed this up. Take responsibility for your part of it, and repay the stake. Brush off, and move on.

eastbay

[/ QUOTE ]

I am genuinely confused as to why the OP should have to pay back the entire roll. If that were the agreement, then what risk did the backer take? With your reasoning, the backer either gets back his initial investment or somewhere between 2-4x his initial investment. That's one hell of a deal with no risk on the backer's part.

Old 03-11-2005, 01:06 AM

OOPS....Ain't that Daisy?....Why Johnny Ringo, looks like somebody just walked over your grave