Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Theory
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-24-2005, 08:45 PM

Default Re: Making $150/day playing poker

See my post below - I think it is dificult to make 1 BB per hour playing party 15/30 - I am making 2 bb now but that may change and it is not easy. My lifetime average (6 months)online at party is $4 an hour overall. I started playing 1/2 and now I am playing 15/30 so I don't have a true overall average. Not great. Not $150 a day by any streach.
Old 02-25-2005, 02:15 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
it wouldn't be hard to make 150/hr

[/ QUOTE ]

It might not be hard for you, but I don't think this is something the average person can expect to achieve with ease.

[/ QUOTE ]

wrong.

No Limit

fim
Old 02-25-2005, 02:29 AM

[ QUOTE ]

And then, after a while, you don't hear from them anymore.

[/ QUOTE ]

BTW, I am still around and in my last two nites of 7 stud, my win rate is 68 BB/100...no kidding. Is this sustainable?
Old 02-25-2005, 05:16 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
it wouldn't be hard to make 150/hr

[/ QUOTE ]

It might not be hard for you, but I don't think this is something the average person can expect to achieve with ease.

[/ QUOTE ]

wrong.

No Limit

fim

[/ QUOTE ]

please post your PT stats for your last 100k hands.
Old 02-25-2005, 05:53 AM

Lots of stuff here already [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] I always get a kick out of the "you're wrong, and let's settle it heads up" line [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

I guess I'll throw in a few comments. First, skill has been mentioned. You need to be fairly confident you can make more money playing poker than the summer job. For that, you need a good track record. And the fact you're asking us would suggest you're not at all sure of this. And if you're not sure, it probably won't happen.

Playing poker for a living isn't really something you can just jump into. You need to have a real good idea about what the heck you're doing first.

There seems to be a lot of players on here multitabling small stakes. That's fine if it's working for you, but it's not for everyone. I absolutely hate multitabling and I never play more than one game at a time. I'd much rather play bigger, especially if opponents are multitabling. That's just me though.

$150 a day or $150 an hour are no big deals, other than the limitations presented by your skill, experience, and bankroll. If you've got the bucks, you could play 5k HU tourneys, 100/200 limit, or 100/200 NL. Of course, if you're looking for a summer job, with a small roll and not a lot of experience, you're going to be pretty limited here.

Ultimately, the most money is in NL, not limit. There is still good money at the higher end limit games though, or if you like playing 100 50/1 games at a time at Party [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

My advice would be to develop your skills and look at the possibility of doing this as next summer's job, not this one. If you had a big enough bankroll and a good enough idea of what you're doing, this wouldn't be too difficult, but failing that, you're much better off with a regular job over the summer where you know you'll get paid.

KC
kingcobrapoker.com
Old 02-25-2005, 08:23 AM

</font><blockquote><font class="small">Svar till:</font><hr />
</font><blockquote><font class="small">Svar till:</font><hr />

And then, after a while, you don't hear from them anymore.

[/ QUOTE ]

BTW, I am still around and in my last two nites of 7 stud, my win rate is 68 BB/100...no kidding. Is this sustainable?

[/ QUOTE ]

of course it is. why, in my last hand of hold'em my win rate is 450/100.
Old 02-25-2005, 01:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
the reason for my post was i'm looking at this as a possible summer job. i have nothing lined up right now and i need something so i can pay for school next year. i figure around $150/day is about what i'd need to make over 3-4 months.

[/ QUOTE ]

It may be possible, it may not be possible, it may be easy, it may be hard (depends on who you listen to on here).

The real question you need to ask yourself is "what if I don't succeed?" You are giving yourself three months to earn the money that you need for your next years schooling. What if you fail? What then?

[/ QUOTE ]

i get a student loan. i will also probably have some sporadic work during the summer, and maybe even pick up a part-time job.

this got me thinking though. if i'm gonna play online poker as a job i may as well play in australia or somewhere rathing than boring old victoria.

[/ QUOTE ]

So I guess Im not the only one dreaming of the University Summer vacation in Australia, sitting on the beach with the wireless internet, playing 4 tables of nice fishful limit tables, with beautiful topless woman all around me.

Couple of problems.... firstly, isn't it cold in australia during our summer? guess they wouldn't be topless..

How much coverage has Australia got for broadband now? How expensive is it?

Just some considerations, but if you read Matthew Hilger Internet Texas Holdem, he talks of going to New Zealand for a year to avoid americas Taxes (remember, gambling winnings are tax free in most countries!) and he made $100,000 in the year he was there (this is from memory, so dont quote me). So its all very possibly. Also bear in mind Mr.Moneymaker had only been playing for a year when he won the WSOP!

I think limit is the way to go for consistancy, less swings, and its quicker to learn to play well. Also easier to spot mistakes in your game.

If I was you I would say do it, your young, and you will probably end up locked up doing a 9-5 job for the rest of your life, be original. Worst comes to worst and you will end up having to stay with some backbackers while serving drinks at night to aussies... isn't that what normal studenst spend their summer doing anyway?

If you do go, and you see a guy sitting on the beach with a laptop cursing the lucky river hunters.... give me a wave.
Old 02-25-2005, 03:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Just some considerations, but if you read Matthew Hilger Internet Texas Holdem, he talks of going to New Zealand for a year to avoid americas Taxes (remember, gambling winnings are tax free in most countries!) and he made $100,000 in the year he was there (this is from memory, so dont quote me).

[/ QUOTE ]

American citizens working abroad are still required to pay income taxes, what Matt Hilger is suggesting is tax evasion.
Old 02-25-2005, 04:54 PM

I think the answer to this is very simple. It is very easy if you can get the hang of multi-tabling. $25/hr at 3-6 4-tabling is quite easy and $50 and over is definitely possible. If you can only play 1 table well, it's very easy for an experienced player who can beat slightly higher limits, but pretty tough for a newer player.
Old 02-26-2005, 09:46 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Just some considerations, but if you read Matthew Hilger Internet Texas Holdem, he talks of going to New Zealand for a year to avoid americas Taxes (remember, gambling winnings are tax free in most countries!) and he made $100,000 in the year he was there (this is from memory, so dont quote me).

[/ QUOTE ]

American citizens working abroad are still required to pay income taxes, what Matt Hilger is suggesting is tax evasion.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ok I looked it up, my memory wasn't perfect but still, it says that 'If you are an american citizen and move overseas, you are able to deduct over $80,000 a year from your income since you are not residing in the States. This effectively eliminates most income tax, but you still must pay the FICA and Medicare taxes'