Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Internet Gambling > Internet Gambling
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-31-2005, 05:23 PM

Default Re: quiting my job for poker was a bad idea

"freelance software, internet consulting, blah blah blah"

In addition to going pro end of this month, I'm also going to be doing some IT jobs with a coworker and some friends for microbusinesses. Maybe only 5 hours a month, but could end up saving a career, if I ever want to get back into it...

2ndGoat
Old 01-31-2005, 05:38 PM

Lorinda,

I would rather be broke than have to lie to someone to avoid their misconceptions about a previous profession, though I believe that these two are not mutually exclusive when it comes to poker.

Two points:
1) I suspect you maintain similar preferences/beliefs.
2) I (and perhaps you, per 1) may be a member of a very small minority in this regard, and there appears to be a good amount of weight to this mutual exclusion argument.

2ndGoat
Old 01-31-2005, 05:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I'm actually very tight. Tighter than most. I play close to ITH preflop chart with a few modifications. I'm only somewhat aggressive. That's the one thing i'm working on and have slowly increased the aggression level the last couple of months. I usually play 2 games of 15/30 on party and occassionally 3 games. I can't understand what i'm doing so drastically wrong playing 15/30 as opposed to 3/6. Here are specific numbers for the last 7 months.
15/30: 121,820 hands, vpip 14%, pfr 6%, aggr 2.0,
winnings = $5,200, bb/100 = .14
3/6: 24,766, vpip 13%, pfr 6%, aggr 2.4,
winnings = $3,900, bb/100 = 2.61

[/ QUOTE ]
Looking at those stats, if I were you, I would drop back down from 15/30 immediately.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, and learn to play pre-flop. Then work on the rest of your game.
Old 01-31-2005, 06:13 PM

On my resume, which had no gaps, I put "Poker" as one of my "interests". It helped me get my job.

Do not lie. You want to go to a place that you, as you are, are welcomed. Be who you are and if they don't like it, look elsewhere. Thats better for you in the long run anyway.

All these posters suggesting you lie or mislead do not see the big picture IMHO.
Old 01-31-2005, 07:41 PM

Default Re: I\'d get a part time job

But continue with the poker the rest of the time. I'd also learn how to play no limit. Limit poker can have some really outrageous streaks that just seem to defy all logic. I'm not saying this is you- chances are your game needs to improve relative to your competition- but it wouldn't hurt to try lower limits and/or NL.
Old 01-31-2005, 08:39 PM

The reason that i didn't mention the levels between 3/6 and 15/30 is because it was my understanding that these were the best games on party poker. From my personal experience and from what i've read on this site, 5/10 and 10/20 tend to be much tighter than the 3/6 and 15/30 games. Is this not true?