Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-31-2005, 07:30 PM

Default Re: Give me your Top 5 movie scenes of all time

Final scene in Seven Samurai ("Another defeat...")
Igby Goes Down (Igby: Sometimes I feel this great pressure...)
Old 01-31-2005, 07:44 PM

Location: Pittsburgh Pa (North Suburb called Cranberry Township)

Several Scenes from American Beauty

1.) The real estate king nailing Spacy's wife - "Who's the king? F*** me your majesty!"
2.) Her introducing Spacy to him at the party "That's ok, I wouldn't remember me either (a favorite at awkward introduction moments)
3.) Spacey smoking dope and lifting weights when wife tells him it will stop - "That's what you think!"

Best move ever, Probably 23 of my top 25 scenes come from this flick.

and...
4.) Jim Carey washing out his arse after he realizes Hank stuck the dildo up it in me, myself, and Irene
5.) Jim Carey in the fetal position with the crying game playing in the background after he makes the Finkel/Einhorn connection in Ace Ventura
Old 01-31-2005, 07:51 PM

I would really have to think about this to come up with 5 so I am just going to give one that I saw (again) the other day.
It was in the movie Glory when they are whipping Denzel Washington and his face slowly changes and then that first tear starts down his cheek. Awesome scene from a great actor.
Old 01-31-2005, 07:53 PM

No particular order

-the temptation of luke skywalker in Return of the Jedi, particularly where vader speculates that the emperor will attempt to suborn leia if luke doesnt agree to fight. The soundtrack at that point is overwhelming, and the emotional buildup of all three (now six) movies is released in that one scene. personally, i think it is far better than the scene where vader reveals that he is lukes father.

-The scene in Titus where Lavigna has been raped, and her uncle discovers her wondering alone. That is perhaps the saddest moment on film, and contained in a movie that has near-perfect cinematography. The opening of this movie is also good, but a little lacking in content.

-Whos Afraid of Virginia Woolfe. This whole movie is pretty much one endless scene, with special highlights.

-The scene at the coke dealers house in Boogie Nights. With the chinese kid throwing firecrackers and what-not, the tension in this scene is palatable.

-the scene in The Shining where the little boy is big-wheeling through the hotel and stumbles onto the twins, then sees the horrific aftermath of their murder. Good stuff.

A disagreement" I hated the beacon scene in ROTK, if for no other reason that it was possibly one of the least described passeges in the book, and the movie turned it into this huge ordeal. My hatred probably stems from the fact that there was potential for so many BETTER scene to be in that movie, or in either of the other two, but all in all, the movies just sucked ass.

peace

john nickle
Old 01-31-2005, 08:08 PM

1. Heed down!! from So I married an axe murderer. The entire scene at his parents house. The only reason to watch this movie and IMO the funniest 10 mins in a movie ever. "The colonel puts a chemical in his chicken that makes you crave it fortnightly".

2. The barber shop scene in Coming to America. "You ain't met no Frank Sinatra"

3. The you're a funny guy scene in Goodfellas.

4. The pursuit by the man-in-black in the Princess Bride.

5. Any scene with Bricktop in Snatch.
Old 01-31-2005, 08:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The Pianist: Nazi guy finds the piano player hiding out, asks him to play something.

[/ QUOTE ]

Man, that was such an awesome scene. Probably my #1
Old 01-31-2005, 09:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Lots of good scenes already posted, but I'll add one:

Shawshank Redemption: The warden enters Andy's cell and finds it empty. Throws chess piece through the poster and you realize he has escaped.

[/ QUOTE ]

Love this movie, love this scene. Good pick.

I'm some what of an action movie junkie, so I'll throw in these two scenes:

Clear and Present Danger w/ Harrison Ford. A bunch of American political dudes are in a foreign country riding in SUV's and they get ambushed with rocket launchers in an alleyway, all of em die except Ford.

Bad Boys 2 - The big car chase scene. Just thought it was cool.

Gladiator - The battle scene with the tigers.

Fight Club - The moment Norton realizes Tyler Durden is him.
Old 01-31-2005, 09:41 PM

Platoon - when dafoe is left and running for the helicopters
Bridge on the the River Kwai - the last few minutes
Cool Hand Luke - the last time hes brought back in
When Harry Meet Sally - the diner scene HAHAH
Old 01-31-2005, 09:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I hated the beacon scene in ROTK, if for no other reason that it was possibly one of the least described passeges in the book, and the movie turned it into this huge ordeal. My hatred probably stems from the fact that there was potential for so many BETTER scene to be in that movie, or in either of the other two, but all in all, the movies just sucked ass.

[/ QUOTE ]

I know it's usually not possible to have an opinion that is just wrong, but this is up there with thinking the Earth is flat.

~D
Old 01-31-2005, 09:57 PM

Duke, i think its a failure to look at things from what may be the proper perspective. I am a tolkien fanatic, to the point of near religous zeal. I read the Lord of the Rings at least every three months, and the silmarillion just as often, if not more so. I have a deep and abiding faith that Tolkiens literature is perfect, in all ways. The movies were never going to be ahead in my book, since no matter what, the screenplay was NOT written by the dead guy. As stand-alone stories, they were excellent movies, but with so much of the content that i know and love (and have virtually memorized) removed, i experienced nothing but intense loathing for them, and it intensified as each on was released. Still though, i assert that The scene on Durin's Bridge, The Battle of Helms Deep, and the battle between Boromir and the Uruk Hai to save Pippen and Merry were all at least as good as watching the beacons being lit, if not better.

FWIW, i do of course own all three of the movies on the extended special edition DVD. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

peace

john nickle