Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-13-2004, 01:47 PM

Default Re: To make a long boring post even longer by summarizing it??

What can I say? I tried.
Old 12-01-2004, 06:45 PM

Default Re: why do u never hear about some book authors winning anything?

I was doing a search when I ran across this thread. Two Thoughts: 1. Writing a book is hard work, plus it takes time. So if a poker player writes a book, he is probably famous and can have a ghost writer do it. 2. Would the best cash game player in the world want to waste time writing a book unless someone else did it for him? On the other hand, if you are just great instead of the best, maybe making a million off a book is MUCH better than risking your BR to do it playing for cash.

I wonder how much David and Mason make playing poker vs how much they make from their books?
Old 12-01-2004, 07:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I was doing a search when I ran across this thread. Two Thoughts: 1. Writing a book is hard work, plus it takes time. So if a poker player writes a book, he is probably famous and can have a ghost writer do it. 2. Would the best cash game player in the world want to waste time writing a book unless someone else did it for him? On the other hand, if you are just great instead of the best, maybe making a million off a book is MUCH better than risking your BR to do it playing for cash.

I wonder how much David and Mason make playing poker vs how much they make from their books?

[/ QUOTE ]

good question. i think Mason went as far as to say that their top titles have outsold Phil Hellmuth's first book, as referenced thru Amazon.com (which i might add he did not choose to divulge the actual numbers to support what he was saying). David commented that he plays $300-$600 everyday. you'll be hardpressed to get either of them up in here providing "actual" numbers, as i'm sure it would be pointed out that it's not the public's business what they gross anyway. one only has to look at Ed Miller's SSH and the upcoming titles by two of poker's biggest stories of 2004, Dan Harrington and Greg Raymer, to know that owning 2+2 Publishing right about now is pretty lucrative.
Old 12-01-2004, 07:22 PM

Well put. So many "holier-than-thou" poker-types love to put Moneymaker down. Yeah, he had luck, but so did Chan, Nguyen, Hellmuth, etc. As a matter of fact, all the posters on here have needed luck to win tournaments themselves. I mean, sorry he doesn't do math equations during hands... Acting like he didn't deserve it in a game like poker is just plain stupid, along with also being absurd.
Old 12-02-2004, 01:55 AM

Default my two cents

dunno about his skill level, or even the quality of the advice in his books (as im an average small stakes player) but vorhaus is very entertaining to read. david and mason seem to be beyond reproach on strategic advice but as the disclaimer states in the beginning of hpfap the writing can be a bit dry and scattered. weigh the pros and the cons and i think ill read both, although imho if D and M worked a little harder to be a little more coherent and entertaining (dare i say) they would need to hire some more staff. dont take this the wrong way of course the 2+2 books are must reads for anyone serious about poker. btw mason/ david perhaps picking up a good novel or two could benefit? ive read a couple that i enjoyed "Poker Nation" and to a more reminds me of PG county way "king of a small wolrd". as i understand it Holden's "big deal" i think was the title is out of print. i would like to read it, perhaps i dunno if this is feasible you pick it up under the 2+2 flag? just a few of my thoughts,
jason
Old 12-02-2004, 09:41 AM

Just because someone understands the math, game theory, and other points and can explain it in a reasonable manner does not translate into some of the "softer skills" that a top flight player has. They are different skills.