Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-01-2005, 07:01 PM

Default Re: Dear Atheists/Agnostics....

[ QUOTE ]
Your understanding of sin is different than mine (assuming you believe in sin) ..... it is not so much a set of rules as it is a condition. A human condition as a result of the fall of man (brought about through the disobedience of one man - Adam). Sin causes separation from God - He is holy - man is sinful. Gods redemptive plan is salvation through one man - Christ - God who cloaked himself in humanity, fulfilled the old testament law, and paid the consequences of everybody's sin. An act of love which we only need to receive (as opposed to reject) in order to be saved from the consequence sin. This is the good news (gospel) of the new testament.

[/ QUOTE ]

I've heard this story so many times and I still find it to be remarkable that so many people gobble it up.
Old 07-01-2005, 07:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
That is, IF somehow you were given proof of God's existence, would you be more content? As content? Would it actually bother you?

[/ QUOTE ]

more. much more. In fact, I'd be so content that my life would likely lose all meaning... It's a beautiful dream, god and religion... i wish it were true, i honestly do, but i don't think it is. It must be nice to honestly believe without a shread of doubt. must be nice...

[/ QUOTE ]

That about sums it up for me as well.
Old 07-01-2005, 07:53 PM

I love to tell the story
Old 07-02-2005, 12:06 AM

In high school I set out to discover if I believed in God or not. When the whole process became more difficult than I was willing to endure, I decided to just believe in God because it made me a lot happier. This isn't how I feel anymore, but I recommend it [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 07-02-2005, 12:23 AM

[ QUOTE ]
In high school I set out to discover if I believed in God or not. When the whole process became more difficult than I was willing to endure, I decided to just believe in God because it made me a lot happier. This isn't how I feel anymore, but I recommend it [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

That's how I make all of my decisions. When thinking or acting gets too arduous, I just settle for a cop out. Now I'm a shell of what I could have been. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]