Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 09-03-2005, 08:26 PM

Default More fun than Sklansky\'s dogs

[ QUOTE ]
Realize that by "dead" I don't mean "non-existent".

[/ QUOTE ]

This made my day.

[img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 09-03-2005, 08:44 PM

Default Re: The usual \"mistake\" of the Right Wing

[ QUOTE ]
MMMMMMM.... just give up.

Don't ask for specific examples of anything these posters are trying to prove. Most of the people who post on 2 + 2 are to busy and/or smart to move past the "theory" stage and see what's actually happening around them.

If liberals want to believe that racism still runs rampant in this country... then that is just a self-full-filling prophecy that allows them to remember the one thing in their parties history that they got right... ending segregation and other such government endorsed biggotary.

[/ QUOTE ]

....Tired & trite.

Deal with it the only way you know how. Turn it into a 'Liberal' vs. 'Conservative' issue so that YOU can then reframe it and respond on your own terms.

FWIW, if your "see what's actually happening around them" comment is directed towards me, I'd be more than happy to compare bona fides on the 'experience' basis.

Shall we take a crack at that?
Old 09-03-2005, 08:47 PM

Default Re: Either way...

So, if I dont provide a specific personally observed incident you plan to continue to live in the happy little world that there is no racism in this country?

I provided a serious post with enough examples of racism in the country to trash, once again, your hypothesis causing in this instance for you to redefine DEAD to not mean DEAD.

Can you provide one example of where Affirmative Action has personally impacted you in a deletrious way?

[ QUOTE ]
Notice I'm not saying such things NEVER occur. I'm saying they are so rare as to be rather negligible on the whole and are likely more than offset by Affirmative Action (in overall effect in the country).

[/ QUOTE ]

Now that we have established that racism is not DEAD but alive. At least we are beginning to talk about degree's of racism. Notice that in this paragraph you say absolutely nothing but hide behind unquantified and unsubstantiated words like "rare" and "likely" and "negligible". So, any incident that occurs can now be written of as one those "rare" instances, the "negligible" impact on the life of the person impacted (does it really matter to you if some racist on a forum calls you racist term) and the "likely" self analyzed opinion that you are "better".
Old 09-03-2005, 08:48 PM

Default Re: Response for Myrtle

[ QUOTE ]
Myrtle-

[ QUOTE ]
I have offered the below opinion regarding racism twice now in this string....
[ QUOTE ]
Quote:
What has happened is that its' practitioners have gotten much more sophisticated in practicing it, and have developed politically acceptable responses when their practices are pointed out.

[/ QUOTE ]

You have not yet commented on it. Why not?

[/ QUOTE ]

Why respond? Let me see if I can understand the statement. Correct me if I'm wrong ---

"its' practitioners" = racists.
"have gotten much more sophisticated in practicing it" = have become better racists.
"have developed politically acceptable responses" = lie.
"when their practices are pointed out." = when called racists.

Let me put it back together ...

"What has happened is that racists have become better racists, and lie when called racists."

Is that the brilliant thought you wanted comments on? Maybe it deserves a new thread.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thank you for making my point crystal clear.....to those of limited capacity.
Old 09-03-2005, 10:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Can you provide one example of where Affirmative Action has personally impacted you in a deletrious way?

[/ QUOTE ]

Affirmative Action was written by white men for white men -- with the help of non-white liberals who bought the lie. If it wasn't for AA it would be almost impossible for white kids to get into science or math departments. My guess is it's mostly Asians who have been impacted in a "deletrious way".
Old 09-03-2005, 10:28 PM

Always happy to shine some light in that direction.
Old 09-03-2005, 10:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Always happy to shine some light in that direction.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have always been under the impression that no light shines from the source of your opinion? [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 09-03-2005, 10:31 PM

You provided not even ONE specific example--mucxh less one specifuic example personally witnessed by you. The following are not "examples":

[ QUOTE ]
If you think that police do not practice profiling anymore...

If you think that killing a turbaned Indian because someone thought he was a Islamist ..

If you seriously think that a black middle manager has the same chance for promotion as a white middle manager at many a corporation...

If you seriously think that there are no dads who would have a fit if the daughter brought home a boy of different color.

If you seriously think that blacks dont see whites as strange and different as do whites see blacks...

If you seriously think that welfare is not iuntended to keep minorities "quiet".

Racial prejudice comes with the territory baby -- all 50 states.

[/ QUOTE ]

If racism were as prevalent in this country today as you claim it to be, don't you think you or I or any other respected poster would have piped up with just ONE personally observed, serious, incident? That you couldn't do so, helps support my thesis that racism is for all practical effects and purposes, more or less dead in today's America. What remnants yet linger may well have far less 'oomph' in actual effect than Affirmative Action alone has in the opposite direction.

People AREN'T being NOT hired because they are black, overall--if anything, instead they're hired MORE OFTEN because they ARE black, due to affirative action. So the worries about racism are greatly overblown in today's America BECAUSE RACISM JUST ISN'T HAVING MUCH OF A DELETERIOUS EFFECT AT ALL, anymore, in America today. Also, by far most Americans aren't racist.

You can't take the standards from the 50's and 60's and apply them today. Society has changed, and has grown far, far less racist than it was 50 years ago. Yet some are acting like nothing at all has changed and remain fighting the threadbare battles of the past.
Old 09-03-2005, 10:37 PM

Default Re: More fun than Sklansky\'s dogs

I just went back and reread my original post. In it, I never even claimed that "racism was dead"--here is what I wrote:

[ QUOTE ]
Well, Cyrus, this isn't the 1950's. There is very little prejudice in America today against minorities, and what little there is, is quite possibly more than functionally offset by overwielding programs such as Affirmative Action.

All in all, the race card, and race issue ARE DEAD--except for those with axes to grind or those who remain ideologically mired in ancient (modern) history.

We don't live in "a racist society" at present. If anything, we live in one of the least racist societies in the entire history of the world. But will anything less than perfection ever satisfy the Leftists, or those with axes to grind or special interests? Sadly, I think the answer to that question is "no".

[/ QUOTE ]

This was misconstrued and I was misquoted as saying "racism is DEAD". I'm not going to bother going back right now to find out who the culprit was.

So foolish me for having tried to clarify a statement I didn't even make. And someone needs to learn to read a tad better, too.
Old 09-03-2005, 10:50 PM

Default Re: The usual \"mistake\" of the Right Wing

Myrtle, if you have personal expereience of serious incidents of racism occurring in this country, in the workplace or, say, in court, that had a seriously deleterious effect on someone, well then yes: I'd like to hear it. I was asking ACPlayer, but it is a question open to all, including you of course.

Please describe the incident, and the approximate year in which it occurred.

Apparently neither myself, nor ACPplayer, nor the other poster, nor Cyrus have personally observed such an incident. Yet they are more or less claiming racism is prevalent or even ubiquitous--which puzzles me because I've never experienced it or observed it in action and to harmful effect (other than someone merely stating racist views. In other words, I haven't seen anyone lose their job because of it, or not get hired because of it, or get beat up because of it...etc. Hence I do think it is relatively rare--and even rarer in seriously deleterious effect.)
Closed Thread