Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > News, Views, and Gossip
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-06-2004, 11:36 PM

Default Re: Good Bye

A self-aggrandizing drama queen.

Congratulations, you are better than the rest of us, Peter Keating. Heaven is populated with people like yourself.

-Michael
Old 05-06-2004, 11:38 PM

Keep taking the high road, Eric. You're a great person, don't let anyone tell you otherwise!

-Michael
Old 05-07-2004, 02:28 AM

"Since this site has both good people and bad people I find it impossible to believe that the percent of people here would vary much from the general population "

This is the core of your argument and it is certainly incorrect. This should be obvious even to one as delusional as yourself.

I also love your useage of "good" and "bad". Very cute.
Old 05-07-2004, 02:28 PM

Eric,

I fully understand your objection to the use of the word "retard," and am in fair agreement. I am also shocked at the vehemence that people have resorted to name calling to shout you down.

But, consider the need of the average ranter in this forum to use disparaging terms about others. It isn't that they mean to demean the mentally retarded, but rather they mean to inflate their own egos by spewing a continuous stream of invective at anyone who they play against.

Why do dogs bark? Why do teenaged boys shout obscenities out their car windows? Why do some poker players feel the need to characterize their opponents as "idiots, retards, morons, jerks, etc" behind their backs?

It's all the same. It's all about making noise and calling attention to one's self. They do it because they can.

They don't use words like the "n" word, mainly because it's been beaten into their heads that it's socially unacceptable. But, they will fight tooth and nail to prevent other words from achieving that same socially undesirable status, because without such words, they'll have a harder time barking at each other.

In that respect, while your attempts here might be admirable, the odds of your achieving anything but collecting a lot of abuse for your efforts are exceedingly low. They need to bark, and as soon as you made your request, you became as good a person to bark at as any.

I post this, in part, to take some of the heat off you, 'cause this'll probably just make them bark at me instead.
Old 05-07-2004, 03:48 PM

Default Re: Please stop using \"Retarded\"

Let's just all agree not to be like this dude.
Old 05-07-2004, 04:12 PM

"But, consider the need of the average ranter in this forum to use disparaging terms about others. It isn't that they mean to demean the mentally retarded, but rather they mean to inflate their own egos by spewing a continuous stream of invective at anyone who they play against."

If you coat vituperation in psychological terms and indirect address, does it somehow slip outside the bounds of your self-indulgent criticism?

For what it's worth, your assessment of the situation is wholly inaccurate. Most of the people in this thread are not "ranters," but often take part in reasonable discussions elsewhere.

-Michael
Old 05-08-2004, 06:21 AM

Does this mean I can no longer call someone a "crack-head" because its offensive to black people? Please advise.
Old 05-08-2004, 08:11 AM

Default This is so Retarded

Only 3 more posts until we have 100 replies.

That is so retarded.
Old 05-08-2004, 08:30 AM

Default Re: Please stop using \"Retarded\"

I'm asking we also stop calling people at the table 'clowns' and having 'clown lists'. Clowns devote themselves for our laughter so i think we should show them more respect.
Old 05-08-2004, 10:52 AM

Default Lighten up Francis